What powder???

Info about what you load that turns a target into dust?
elwood

What powder???

Post by elwood »

Recently I used a Winchester powder, WST. I was impressed how it did compared to Promo. What are your thoughts and comments. What powder do you think is more bang for the buck? Or is better for consistant shooting?
smokem

What?

Post by smokem »

Never used the Winchester or the Promo! I started with Clays - Red Dot and now using Clay Dot.

To be honest the Clays is a much cleaner loading powder. The Red & Clay Dot is some messy dusty stuff on the 9000G.

Once the Red & Clay Dot is gone it is back to Clays:-)

FR

PS - I really like the way Red-Dot smells though!
K32user

Promo vs Red Dot vs Clays

Post by K32user »

I really like the Promo powder, and have been shooting it for about 18 months. Prior to the Promo, I was using Clays International. Promo drops well and it is quite uniform with the drops. The load data I got when I first started loading Promo, stated that Red Dot and Promo would use the same powder bushing. I have found that to NOT be so with my loads. I was using the #32 bushing with Red Dot and a 1 oz load in a Rem green hull. When I loaded Promo with a #32 bushing and the same pay-load, I got excess recoil. I ran the #32 bushing Promo load over the clock and it was running almost 1300 fps, whereas my normal load will be approx 1200 fps or just a bit less. I dropped the powder bushing down to a #30, and all has been well. I am now on my 3rd jug of Promo, and I have jug #4 and jug #5 stored and ready for the 9000 I'm using. I hope this imput helps you to make your first Promo purchase.
smokem

Promo Info

Post by smokem »

Hey that is good info K32user! I have been using a 30 bushing for the 1 ounce reload with Red Dot, Clay Dot and Clays.

Red Dot & Clay Dot have that fine particulate that gets everywhere on the bench with the 9000G.

Clays seems to be a lot cleaner on the bench and in the gun.

I might just pick a jug up based on your info!!

smokem