January 8th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

January 8th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Week 2 of 2024 and not much to report with Spartanburg and Brushy Mountain canceling their shoots due to inclement weather. It is January and unless you are in Florida or way out West it is a little nippy.

On a more somber note, I was notified by Morgan Shaw that the wife of Will Price passed away Saturday night. Sherry had some medical issues, and she was in her early 50’s. Please remember Will and the family in your prayers. I am not aware of any arrangements currently.

I believe that Brushy Mountain will host a typical 300 target shoot this Saturday. I am not aware of Spartanburg rescheduling their shoot. The weather for Brushy Mountain looks like cool and windy so be prepared.

John Sandell and Grace attended a club shoot and potluck at the Sharon MA Fish & Game club. 40 degrees and quite a few new shooters were in attendance. John waited this long in life to enjoy a deep-fried turkey and he evidently enjoyed the experience.

I have viewed gun clubs with scoring shelters for their refs. The one I noticed on Facebook was elevated and had large wheels up front and extended handles on the back so that it could be tilted and moved easily on the concrete pad runway. I mean how much could it cost to build a couple just to be sure the scorers could score and stay out of the elements. Some shooters will shoot rain or shine but who wants to score in the rain?

The average cost for non-premium shells in this area looks like $8.50 a box plus or minus. I am going to be visiting some local vendors to see what is being offered. Blue Collar Reloading is a place I have never been to and need to drop by that business.

I talked to Randy and Teresa Knight over the weekend. I talked to Randy about Kolar double release triggers and to Teresa about whether any blocks of rooms have been set up for traveling shooters. At this time no room rates have been established for the state shoot at HIX or Hampton. She said she would let me know when that takes place. Teresa sent out a letter to all SC shooters regarding the decision to host the state shoot at the NC Homegrounds. It is an interesting read and hopefully something can be worked out for the 2025 season.

It looks like PA/NC/SC shooter Dave Daily will be able to attend the 2024 South Carolina State Shoot at the NC Homegrounds. Originally, he was not going to be able to attend due to a scheduling conflict with a work commitment. He has been absent from the shooting scene in our area but is very active at his club near Aynor SC. Years ago Dave won the Budweiser Handicap in Vandalia and came in 5th in the Grand American Handicap at Sparta in 2006. That was the year Kay Ohye won the GAH with a 99 and the lone 25 in the shootoff…..

Ok that is going to do it for this week, and it looks like a cool and possibly moist week. Hopefully we can get out and shoot but I am back working retiree callback for the local Sheriff’s Office. I call it shell money and hey it is hard to turn it down. Hello to Scott(PA), Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, Mac, John(MA), Thea and Anne and until next week…….smokem