August 21st Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

August 21st Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Can you believe that August is almost over, and September is knocking on the door? Cooler morning temps over the weekend in North Carolina and looking for more of those cooler temps very soon.

Two BIG50 events last week and a big event coming up this weekend in the mountains of North Carolina. Craven County Law Enforcement Officers Association hosted a BIG50 Friday. Doyle "Crocs" Thigpen led all singles and handicap shooters, and Sr-Vet Jim Ryan led all doubles shooters and secured the HOA.

The Rockingham County Gun Club hosted a registered ATA BIG50 Saturday August 19th. The weather could be considered Chamber of Commerce beautiful with minimal wind for the singles and a slight breeze for the handicap and doubles. Sub-Jr shooter Isaac McCoy led all singles shooters with a 24-25 and there were five 48’s broken by other shooters. RCGC member Ed Gideon was the top handicap shooter with a 47 with NCTA Vice President Joe Nalley a close second with a 46. Sub-Jr RCGC member Jacob Gossett was the high doubles shooter with a 47. Joe Nalley was the HOA winner with a 139x150 and that is some great shooting for the Senior-Vet competitor.

This weekend the Watauga Gun Club will be hosting The Glenn Miller “IRONMAN” Memorial event with 300 handicap and 200 doubles. This event has been won by some great shooters in North Carolina and out of state including Mark Isner from West Virginia. As if 100 handicap isn’t enough you shoot two more handicap events and 100 pair of doubles. In 2006 I broke 89-89-93 from the 24 and then a 98-91 in doubles and had to shoot off with Bill Howe just to come in second to my hero Darvin Cornett…. Looks like the 4th trap aka the “widowmaker” won't be used so all shooting will be done on three traps. It could make for a long day, and it looks like a lot of folks will be attending the shoot. The weather looks like 80’s and 60% chance of afternoon showers. Regardless, it will be a great time had by all for sure!

In case you missed the smoke report for last week the ATA has increased the daily fee from $3 to $4 for regular 100 bird events and from $1.50 to $2 for BIG50 events. Also, this is the time to renew your ATA membership for the upcoming target year starting September 1st. If my grandfather had bought me a life membership in 1964, he could have saved me a lot of money later in life. No telling how much money he spent for reloading supplies, shells, and entry fees for me back in the day!

Ok folks that is about it and I hope everyone has a great week. If starts off hot but cools down towards the weekend. Hello to Scott in PA, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, Mac, Thea and Anne and until next week…………smokem