April 3rd Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

April 3rd Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Unpredictable windy weather was pretty much the story for the weekend. With a BIG50 at Charlie Browns, South Carolina Hall of Fame and a Harlan Campbell Clinic folks were shooting some interesting targets.

Charlie Brown hosted a BIG50 Saturday, and the threat of wild wet weather kept the crowd down a bit. Here is the info Marty Hill posted on Facebook about the shoot: Due mostly to an unfavorable weather forecast, we only had 7 shooters to show up at Charlie Brown's this morning to break some clay targets. While we did have a heavy shower at 10:00 for 15 minutes, the rain mostly stayed away. It was a tad windy as you can tell from the scores. Singles was led by Matthew Horton with a 47. Matthew also led the handicap with a 45. Not bad for someone who hasn't registered a target for 16 years. Matthew didn't shoot doubles and allowed Greg High to win doubles with 43. Greg also took HOA with a 124/150.

South Carolina held their Hall of Fame shoot over the weekend and all I have info on is Saturday. 31 shooters shot the singles and Brady Cox was hi-gun with a 100 with Mark Spoon the next high score with a 98. John Rossiter and Brady Cox tied with 90’s amidst 44 competitors. 34 doubles entries and you guessed it Brady Cox was high with a 92. Gary Ferguson was inducted into the SC HOF and congrats on the great honor. I will post the Sunday info as soon as I get it.

A couple of shoots this weekend with Old Hickory Rocky Mount on Saturday and Buckhorn on Sunday. Typical 300 target programs and normally a great lunch is prepared for consumption. The weather looks a little wet early but clearing on Saturday and Sunday looks good weatherwise for Mebane. Either way it is a good chance to pick up some birds before the NCHOF, SC State and NC State shoots.

Phil Berkowitz called to say he shot his first registered targets in quite a while. He broke a 85 at Robinson Ranch and was tickled about that score. It has been a long slow process getting back to shooting but it looks like he is well on his way. Tom Shelley is out traveling around and camping and eating and fishing. Not sure exactly where he is off to but I guarantee you it will be fun.

I have been trying to dig up pictures of former Hall of Famers for a slideshow presentation at the HOF banquet in a few weeks. I have most folks covered but will be doing some digging this week. I chatted with Phil Davis, and he sent me the program and pamphlet they handed out at the banquet when his dad was inducted. I mentioned to him that the ATA was offering certificates that are suitable for framing of shooters that have passed. It shows the shooters target totals of their finished careers in trapshooting. Hunter brought back certificates of Elmo Matkins, Joe Nimer and JC Nunn and we hope to hang these in the new trap building as soon as it is finished. If you have a loved one that passed just contact the ATA and they will send it to you.

John Sandell and his wife Grace spent about a month at Myrtle Beach and got around to shooting sporting clays and also trap at the Horry Chapter Wildlife Action Gun Club in Aynor SC. I got him together with Dave Daily and he got them introduced to the club he belongs to, and the rest is history. They are headed back to Massachusetts the 2nd and should be home by now. John and his wife helped run the BIG50 shoots at the Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club. Glad he had a good trip, and his wife broke a 25 in trap and impressed the locals at Horry County.

Prayer list includes Tom Pitts, Dave Shaeffer and Don Krites. Folks are always appreciative of a call or a card or some type of contact. Also remember Ken Duncan also. Ok that is about it for this week, and I sure hope this pollen dies down soon. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, Thea and Anne and until next week………..smokem