February 6th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

February 6th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Great weekend in North Carolina weatherwise after all that precipitation tracking across the nation. Two shoots over the weekend with one in South Carolina and one in North Carolina. Matches are a little spotty in the winter but before you know it folks will be shooting every weekend.

Some of the Clemson University shooting team showed up for Spartanburg Gun Clubs monthly shoot Saturday. Brodie Mahaffey won the singles with 98 and 26 shooters. Dylan Tomchik won the handicap with an 89 and enough shooters to get a punch looks like. NC State Singles Champ 2022 David Smiley won the doubles with a 91 and Dylan the HOA with a 270x300. Mark your calendar for March 4th for their next registered event.

Morgan Shaw was still at the club at 7:30 and took the time to give me the rundown on the action today at the Watauga Gun Club. First, they don’t call him BIG D for nothing. BIG D won the singles with a 49, caps with a 48 and the HOA with a 138x150. Shawn Reese managed to one bird BIG D or he would have won all of the events. LIL D was a bit off today for some reason, but he will be back on his game soon. BIG D was one shooter away from getting a punch today and that was a shame he didn’t get a Watauga punch in February. The next BIG50 is February the 19th so please make a note of it. Also, they had a shooter show up that moved to NC from Maine. His name is Glenn Hammond and he lives in Lincolnton NC and welcome to NC. Jason Dancy got his Invictus back after they removed the clear coat that was trapping rust and had it blued. Morg says it is the only one like it in the world. The work was done in the factory in Italy….imagine that….y

I took a moment to log back into trapshooters.com the other day just to look around. When I first got back into trapshooting in 2001 that website was hopping with activity and was a great place for trapshooting information. Of course, as time went by it attracted some very colorful individuals and then it was taken over by folks that wanted to monetize the platform. It has some pretty strict rules as far as the buy/sell forum because you have to post so many times before you can buy or sell. I will post some info about trapshooting in NC and see who I can dig up.

Prayer list includes Ken Duncan, Cornetts, Tom Pitts, Tommy Brown, Phil Berkowitz, Bobbie Powel and Hunter Galloway wants everyone to know that is doing ok. He went out and shot Sunday at Rockingham. Also, a big Happy Birthday to Barron Church and not sure just how old he is but he looks good for whatever age he is….

Big news about the World Shooting Complex in Sparta Illinois. Looks like the state is trying to tighten its belt by unloading properties around the state. The ATA has an agreement with the WSRC, so keeping the Grand there shouldn’t be a problem in case it is sold. Time will only tell if this becomes an issue in the near future.

The Norfolk County Rifle Range in Chesapeake Virginia is hosting a 300 target doubles marathon this Saturday the 11th. That is quite a haul for me but it sure would be fun to go up and see Clay Floyd and the crew. I believe they have one trap, and they move things along nicely. Hopefully the weather will change before then because it looks like a good chance of rain and cool.

Ok that is about it for this week. I am not sure what to say about winter but it looks like the cool weather comes back in next weekend. Hope to get out and practice sometime this week if the weather cooperates. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, Barron, Thea and Anne and until next week……smokem