January 23rd Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

January 23rd Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Good morning to all and I hope everyone had a great week and weekend. Saturday was an ok weather day, but Sunday turned out to be a wet one in some parts of the state. Several shoots over the weekend and some shoot reports were available.

This week is devoid of registered trap shoots in North Carolina! Saturday looks great this weekend and it is a shame nobody is shooting. Rockingham and Buccaneer hosted BIG50’s Saturday and Boone hosted their BIG50 Sunday. Buckhorn scheduled a shoot Sunday and decided to keep their powder dry considering the rain and the cool temps.

Pat Childers hosted a BIG50 at the Buccaneer Gun Club Saturday and I will post a recap of their shoot next week. Watauga shot Sunday and the temp was in the mid 40’s but no rain according to Morgan Shaw. Will Price led all singles shooters with the lone 50 straight. Big “D” Tollison and Randy Jones tied with 48’s in the caps and Lil “D” won the doubles with a 50 and nipped his dad by one stinking bird for the HOA. 49+46+50 is strong shooting in cold temps and low light conditions! Morgan said he had some new shooters show up and it was a father and daughter. Shawn Reese worked with the dad and Morg instructed the young lady shooter. Morg said he was looking at the wood boards on the wall with the names of folks that broke 100 & 200 straights in singles and 100 straights in doubles and one 100 straight in handicap. Tracy Sanders was the first to break 200 straight in singles in June 1994. Sherwood Jenkins was the next in July 1995. I know George Sudderth and Bill Howe broke 100’s in doubles and George Ponton might be the only person to break a 100 in handicap. Lots of memories in that clubhouse that is for sure….Watauga has three events in February with BIG50’s on the 5th and 19th.

Rockingham County Gun Club hosted their first Winter BIG50 with 18 singles, 12 handicap and 8 doubles shooters. Ed Gideon led all singles shooters with a 46, Darrel Parham caps winner with a 45 and Ed Gideon the doubles winner with a 43. Ed also led all shooters in the HOA. Darrel Parham was the BIGDOG Pot winner with an 86. We had two new shooters attend and three new to the ATA attend and compete. February 18th will be the next BIG50 at RCGC weather permitting.

Prayer list this week includes Phil Berkowitz, Cornetts, Tom Pitts, Tommy Brown, Hunter Galloway, Rino Miglioretti, Bobbie Powell and if I missed anyone I apologize.

Talked to SC shooter Dave Daily and he was about to get on a cruise ship for a few days. He shoots at the gun club in Aynor SC and if you are ever down that way take your gun and check it out. They shoot the first Saturday of the month and have BIG50 events. Chatted with George Sudderth and he is doing well. He is facing some dental work and managed to get a second opinion that really will save him time and money. Mark Cox is without his trusty Beretta because it is up North getting some work done and a new fancy TSK stock.

Ok here is a little bit of trapshooting trivia for you this morning. I put a picture on my TarHeelTrap Facebook page that was taken at the Champion of Champions in Vandalia in the 60’s. 5 women that included Nadine Ljutic, Punkin Flock and Loral I Delaney. Dave Hollingsworth from Georgia made a comment that Georgia shooter Joe Doris wife’s dad was Punkin Flocks brother. If you have ever been to the HOF museum in Vandalia or Sparta there is a life size statue of Punkin with here trusty Ljutic shotgun. I called Joe and talked about her and her husband Carl and their life together. Carl struck it rich becoming the Catepillar distributor for South Florida, Cuba and South America. Punkin shot an early serial number Ljutic including #7 and #11. It is rumored that Minnesota lady shooter Loral I Delaney would borrow and shoot some of Punkins guns and was very successful. Loral I was inducted into the Minnesota HOF and possibly the ATA HOF also. If you get a chance Google Punkin Flock and Loral I if you get a chance. Both of these ladies including Nadine Ljutic traveled to and shot at the Pinehurst Gun Club in the Annie Oakley events that were held yearly in October. It was the golden age of trapshooting when the trophies were silver, and the Calcutta on the Sunday handicap was a great payday for all that won. I am going to try to call Joe again to get a few more details before I writeup a more detailed story.

That is about it for this week. I hope everyone enjoys this milder January weather and are we ever going to get any snow? Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, Thea and Anne and until next week………..smokem