January 16th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

January 16th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Chilly weather returned to the Tarheel state over the weekend, and it might be here to stay. The mountains got a good amount in the higher elevations and Tom Shelley sent me a few pictures from his home that is close to Grandfather Mountain. Several shoots this week in NC and some locations might see some weather.

Three shooting events in North Carolina this weekend. Buccaneer will host a BIG50 event this Saturday and they usually have a crowd show up to participate. Rockingham County Gun Club will also shoot Saturday with registration at 100 and shooting at 11. Buckhorn will host their typical 300 target program Sunday and hopefully the weather will hold off for their event. Always a good shoot and a great lunch provided.

Former NC trapshooter Phil Berkowitz turned 80 years young a few days ago and is recovering from his hip replacement surgery. He thought he had injured his shoulder and luckily it was not damaged in the fall. Send up a prayer for Mark Spoon’s wife Tuesday when she has a procedure done. Mark will miss both RCGC and BGC taking care of his lovely wife. South Carolina trapshooter George Powell’s wife has been under the weather and is finally back home. Bobbie will undergo IV infusions daily for 8 weeks and we are praying for her total healing!

Plotting and planning for the 2023 shooting season? Get these Home ground dates on your calendar. April 20-23 is the NC Hall of Fame shoot, June 7-11 NC State Shoot, and the Dixie Grand Sept 26 – Oct 1. The Southern Zone will not be held in NC this year so you will have to travel elsewhere to shoot this event. Sometimes hotel reservations are tough to get in Forest City so book early. The Hall of Fame shoot is a great event to get used to shooting at the HG if you have never shot there. I know you will enjoy it and with 17 traps they can get the shooting events completed in good order.

Looked at the local Sportsman’s Warehouse online the other day. The premium shells that cost $12 - $15 bucks a box was all out of stock. Not sure what folks are doing for shells this year, but it will cost more than ever to shoot in 2023. I have not witnessed any clubs reducing their entry fees and some might even be raising them to make up for fewer entries. It will be interesting to see what the state of the sport is this year. I mean the folks that are sponsored with shells and guns will surely be present to compete against the folks that buy their own shells and their target shotguns. Only time and targets will tell.

Ok that is about it, and I will try to do a little more digging for dirt this week. If you have trap related info that you think should be published, just contact me and will get the word out. Hello to Chief Scott in PA, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby happy birthday the 11th, Phil, Thea and Anne and until next week…….smokem