January 9th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

January 9th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Looks like a good start to the week and I hope you had a great weekend. A couple of shoots over the weekend including Spartanburg and Watauga. Looking at the calendar not much happening in NC this week if you want to register targets.

Took a moment to call NC Hall of Famer Ron Wilson last week. He and the wife are doing fine and survived that cold snap. Not sure how long Ron shot trap but after having a lung removed his ability to shoot 100 targets was pretty much over. He still came to the major shoots and worked classifying shooters and his lovely wife helped people figure out what squads they wanted to shoot. He always had a smile, and it was always great to hear him say “well there is Freddy Redmon”. We talked briefly about the Buncombe County Gun Club and found out it was established in 1973 and closed in 2020. It was a great place to shoot, and I shot there and not sure what year it was. I do remember I broke a 98 in doubles and that was pretty good for me. Ron told me he was the one to open the gates in 73 and the last to close the gates in 2020. With lease payments and the increase in target prices, the ability to pay the bills became a little stressful. When tasked with wanting to increase the target prices folks didn’t really understand the need. The fellow that was leasing the property decided not to renew it and Buncombe County was no more. Evidently the property has been turned into a conservatory and not sure exactly what that entails. It was great to talk with him and he did mention he made it to the Dixie and got to talk with Tracy Sanders. The 16th of January they will celebrate their 61st year of marriage and congrats to them both.

I want to give a big shout out to Tom Pitts and Lynn Greer for tying the knot. I had no idea this happened until someone let me know. Congratulations and glad they found each other and evidently enjoy each other’s company. I mean they travel together to cashier shoots at the homegrounds and other state shoots. I mean if you can get along with each other dealing with a lot of confused (sometimes) trap shooters you know it has got to be love! So you guys that have been flirting with Lynn at the window you are going to have to change your game up a little bit!!

Tom Shelley is up near Richmond VA hunting deer with dogs. First time for him and it looks like he was having a good time. No report if they killed any deer but I am sure they are having fun. If you see Tom, ask him about the charge card system at the hunt club. The card reader they use is one of a kind.

Harlan Campbell is coming to the Rockingham County Gun Club in 2023. Mark your calendar for March 30-31 and April 1-2. At this time there are a few spots left in each session. Classes will be held in our clubhouse and shooting will commence on the newly renovated traps. For more info, please contact Jeff Allen at pal96@yadtel.net

Watauga Gun Club hosted a BIG50 Sunday, and eight wet and cold mountain folks participated. Daniel “BIGD” Tollison won the singles with a 48, Will Price won the caps with a 48 and BIGD won the doubles with a 46. BIGD dropped his 50th doubles target to lose the HOA to Will Price by one stinking target. Will broke great doubles score at Buckhorn last week and called it a fluke. Randy Jones teased him all day about not following his teachings. Their next BIG50 is January 22nd so please attend if possible.

Spartanburg Gun Club shot Saturday and had a good turnout. A little chilly but no rain and very little wind which is a good thing at SGC. 35/30/24 stepped to the line and Randy Knight won the singles (98), doubles (95) and HOA (278x300). Mark Quarterman got a punch for his 94 from the 20.5 yard line. Remember SGC shoots the first Saturday of every month.

2023 will offer 51 big 50 events in North Carolina. 15 days at the North Carolina Homegrounds and 39 days of typical 300 target program shoots. That is quite a bit of shooting and pretty good for only 8-gun clubs registering targets. Buckhorn will offer several 2-day shoots and Watauga one 2-day shoot. Mark your calendars and come on out and join us!

Ok that is about it for right now. I hope everyone has a great week and come on snow!
Hello to Scott in PA, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil(get well soon), Thea and Anne and until next week……….smokem