November 14th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

November 14th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Good morning and a little cooler this morning for sure. First a big thanks to all our Veterans and good to see all the activities honoring our military. I just hope all our vets are getting better treatment than all the folks entering this country illegally!

One shoot over the weekend at Buckhorn and it was ccw. That stands for cold, clear and windy but folks still showed up to shoot. 11/8/8 stepped to the line with Shawn Reese winning the singles with a 94. Nathan Snyder won the handicap with an 87 and the doubles with an 89. Not sure on the HOA but it looks like fun was had by all.

Shoots this week include Rockingham hosting their BIG50 on THURSDAY NOT TUESDAY due to a possible washout Tuesday. CCLEOA shoots their BIG50 Friday and Watauga shoots their BIG50 Sunday looking like 38 degrees for the high. Also, Ft. Bragg shoots a typical 300 target program this Saturday the 19th. Back in the day Marty Hill would deep fry turkeys that would absolutely put you to sleep for handicap.

Danny “Lobo” Lloyd was spotted at the Rockingham County Gun Club Saturday picking up a custom-built bench rest gun. Danny is not shooting trap anymore and has a couple of custom guns for sale on consignment at Target Shotguns. Danny lives on the coast and shoots bench rest matches in his area. Hopefully this new gun will help him have an edge on the competition.

Some of you may or may not know Steve Karas. He was a 27-yard shooter for many years and one heck of a shot. He had a stroke a few years back and has had issues ever since. He used to call me frequently and when I called his last number it was disconnected. So, I did a little digging and found the lady that rented to him and sure enough he had been relocated to a residence in High Point. She gave me a number and I was able to contact him. His wife is in another facility suffering from dementia. He said they took my car, and all my finances are going to cover my housing. Of course, you could hear it in his voice that he was glad to hear from me and I told him I would be visiting soon. Just when you think you got it bad you hear another story. If you remember Steve and would like to call him please get in touch with me and I will give you his number. I am going to put a little care package together for him with a few old Trap & Fields. Also, please remember him in prayer……Thanks

When I found this info out, I called Phil Berkowitz and he was returning from Robinson Ranch Gun Club in Florida. He said he tried to complete the 100-bird event but was unable due to a lack of stamina stemming from major back surgery. Hopefully he can back to shooting regularly in the very near future. He sounded good and maybe if they hosted BIG50 shoots he could get some birds registered.

I got to talk to James Boggs Sunday night regarding some aircraft lights my son and I noticed on the outer banks. He had just gotten back from Santiago Chile after working on an issue with an aircraft that he wound up having to fly back to the states on. Talk about no pressure or what? We also discussed the death of Paul Rollins and James commented that he never remembered Paul not being in a good mood. He also said that he remembered going to the Spartanburg Gun Club and seeing the crew of Paul Rollins, Mike Harrelson, Frank Foster, Tom Daggerhart, Buddy Poteat, Tommy Thomason and Watt Irwin. Of course, these are names from days gone by and very few remember any of these great South Carolina shooters. James said he went to a Hog Heaven shoot, and he said the wind was crazy. You shoot sky targets at this club, and he said they were up up and away. James is a very interesting fellow to talk to and I always enjoy his stories of the airline industry and memories of SC trapshooting!

Tommy Brown is on the mend after a procedure, and he is looking forward to getting out and about. This is the second procedure in just a few weeks and the doctor’s feedback has been positive in both cases. Also, Romeo Piersanti is having a procedure to replace an implant that helps with his sleep apnea. He will not be out and about for about two weeks after his surgery.

That is about it for this week, and I hope everyone enjoys this cooler weather. I noticed snow in the NC mountains and before long Morg Shaw will be sharing pictures from Boone. Maybe Tom Shelley can send me some also. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, Thea and Anne and until next week……….smokem