October 17th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

October 17th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Good morning and I hope everyone is enjoying the fall colors and the cooler temperatures. A little shooting activity over the weekend and four NC shooting events this week.

Rockingham shot over the weekend celebrating National Trapshooting month. This is the first registered event shot over the newly renovated trapline. VA shooter Sam McInteer won the singles with a 97, and the doubles with a 94 and the HOA. Doug Monjeau planned to work until Mark Spoon talked him into shooting handicap. Singles was shot in very little wind and then it showed up for the handicap. Doug managed to put together an 88 to lead all shooters and get a punch to the 24.5. Joe Nalley broke the only 25 in the event and his 87 tied him with JR shooter Greyson Stainback.

Several shooting events in North Carolina this week starting with Rockingham and a BIG50 Tuesday the 18th at 9AM. Saturday the 22nd Ft. Bragg and Buccaneer will shoot big 50 events. Watauga Gun Club will shoot a typical 300 target program on Saturday the 22nd also. Weather looks good across the state with Saturday temps in the high 60’s in Boone and mid 70’s in Fayetteville.

Mac Herring sent me an email last week asking about a fellow we shot with years ago. I reached out to several shooters asking about having a cell number for George Wilson. Sherwood Jenkins was nice enough to provide me with a number and I appreciate that greatly. I reached out to Mac and gave him the info and he said he would call him soon. I called the number several times with no answer and no ability to leave a voicemail.

Friday I finally managed to catch him, and we talked in length about the old days and trying to figure out who was still alive and who is dead. George is 84 now and shot in the old days and traveled extensively shooting trap and selling guns. He mentioned talking with Ronnie McKnight’s wife and did attend the home grounds when Buddy Leatherman was inducted into the NC Hall of Fame. Hopefully by now Mac has called him and caught up on good times. If you have a trapshooting friend that you haven’t talked to in a while why not give them a ring.

Another person I reached out to last week was the one and only George Ponton. George, I believe is 79 now and is no longer shooting these days. He mentioned that he was having issues with hand eye coordination and just could not continue shooting. Years ago, I had broken a 97 at the Watauga Gun Club in handicap. I walked up to the clubhouse and Jimmy Wilson said what did you break, and I told him. He said you are the winner until George shoots his next ten targets. I didn’t realize what was going on, but George only had 10 birds left for a 100 straight. While he was shooting nobody was talking and everyone was focused on George. I know he misses shooting and if you have his number give him a call, I know he would appreciate it.

Couple of folks to put on your prayer list including Ronnie Manuel and Tommy Brown. Ronnie took a little spill and is still figuring out what all hurts. Tommy Brown is going in for a procedure Monday morning and will be undergoing surgery in the very near future.

Not sure exactly how many folks take a moment on Monday morning to read my smoke report? Regardless all of us are experiencing price increases from targets to diesel. With the cost increase of targets some clubs are looking at raising fees for members and non-members. Based on current numbers 25 targets costs close to $3 and if you want a show bird you are already losing money. If your club uses ERAD devices everyone wants to call for a bird to see if their device is on so that is 5 birds before the squad even fires a shot. If you use microphones, you hope someone is turning the system off between posts especially when shooters are banging around the mics in handicap. I talked to Dave Daily in SC and their club will be charging $5 for members in the very near future and that is $2 more than we currently charge at RCGC……

That is about it for this week, and I hope everyone enjoys the weather. Before you know it I will be reporting on snow and ice and well I better stop that talk. Hello to Chief Scott Holdren in PA, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Thea and Anne and until next week……..smokem