May 30th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

May 30th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Memorial Day is here, and we would like to remember the Americans that paid the ultimate sacrifice to allow us the freedoms we enjoy today. Our prayers go out to all the families that lost a loved one while serving in the Military!

A lot of shooting last week with Rockingham, Buccaneer, Old Hickory at Rocky Mount and Watauga shooting. Mark Spoon led singles with a 50, handicap with a 46 with Ronnie Manuel winning the doubles with a 41. Mark also won HOA with a 136. Rockingham shoots another BIG50 this Thursday the 2nd.

Watauga had a good turnout and had 35 shooters in the singles. Shawn Reese won the singles and the caps and Caleb Mathis tied Jim Hughes in the doubles. Caleb took the HOA with a 281. Thanks Leesa Church for the info and Peter Mielcarek broke his first 25 in competition!

Old Hickory shot and Kai Li won the singles with a 98 and the handicap with a 95. Brandon Mathews won the doubles with a 92 not sure who won the HOA. 19/21/10 stepped to the line on a Memorial Day weekend and that was a great turnout.

Most of you know Ronnie Manuel and Ronnie has been out of the loop almost two years due to concerns over COVID. Well, he is back to shooting and installed a vertical grip on the fore-end of his competition 1100. He shot the BIG50 at Rockingham and ran his first 25 in singles and wound up winning the doubles with a 41 and broke his last 10 to get that done. Look out folks the old man on the stool is back…….

The 109th Annual North Carolina State Trapshoot is just a few days away. It is always exciting when your state shoot rolls around, and everybody hope their “A” game shows up to the party. I just pray the weather cooperates and that folks find enough shells to shoot all the events they want to. For the most part state shoot attendance is down almost 20% for the most part. It will be interesting to see the numbers after the smoke clears June 12th.

Finally found some shells and it was a pallet of Challengers. One hardy soul bought the shells and I believe he only has 20 flats left of the 110. I watched those shells being shot today and they will break the target believe me. And for the price I just don’t see how you can beat it for singles and doubles. Hopefully more will be available in the near future.

If you travel to Forest City for the state shoot you must find good places to eat. One of the places that we ate a lot was Scoggins in Rutherfordton. Just found out recently that it is permanently closed. From what I hear the owner decided to shut it down after so many years in business. Not sure what led to his decision, but it is gone. Now word on a new owner but the place will be sorely missed. Try the Copper Penny in downtown Forest City for breakfast in the morning. Forest City fish camp is good and try the salt & pepper battered catfish and tell them Fred sent you.

That is about it for this week, and I hope everyone enjoys a day off. Not sure about the weather other than it is going to be hot and dry this week. I would prefer cool and dry for the state shoot, and I am placing my request right now. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Thea and EZ-GO Anne and until next week……….smokem