May 9th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

May 9th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Old timers has done set in it looks like. I was getting ready for bed and thought I have not done the smoke report. I guess being a little tired has nothing to do with the memory at all. One event over the weekend well actually two at Rockingham County Gun Club.

Fort Bragg shoots this Saturday and they would like for you to attend. Looking at the weather forecast you might get a little wet but what does a weatherman know anyway? Always a good time at Ft. Bragg and Marty runs a great shoot.

South Carolina State Shoot cranks up this week Starting Wednesday. Lots of memories shooting in South Carolina and always a good time. Dave Daily is coming up from South Carolina and look for us under the tents right behind the practice traps. Big tasty fish fry Saturday night and it is always delicious! According to Tammie all the camping spots are spoken for and that is a good sign of great attendance. Weather is looking a little iffy Thursday through Saturday but temps will be in the high 70’s.

Some of you are on Facebook and yep they shut me down for 30 days because of a comment I made in reference to a cartoon. Tough time with all the content I post on the TarHeelTrap FB page. It wasn’t anything racist or sexist or even homophobic? Sure would be nice if Elon could buy FB like he did Twitter. I normally post a new cover page each week but I cannot do that or approve stories for the page………America

For those of you that have ever run a trapshoot it is all about the details. Trying to do everything you are supposed to do and dot every I and cross every T. For those of you that have never run or helped run a shoot you don’t have a clue. You try to please everybody and sometimes it all comes together and success.

The Rockingham County Gun Club hosted the SCTP State Trap Championship Saturday May 7th. The weather started out great and dry and sunny and ended rainy, cool and windy. Kevin Biss rode up to capture drone video of the complex and Evalyn Sudderth blessed us with her lovely singing of the national anthem. Six squads took the line plus or minus 9AM and it was on. 85 singles shooters and Caleb Mathis led all entries with a 99.

We arranged for a food truck called “Second Helpings” and they served chicken wings, shrimp, fish, crinkle fries, sausages, hot dogs and other delicious food. They even had buzzers like a restaurant to buzz you when your order was ready. Everybody said the food was delicious and we hope to have them back in 2013! Oh, they sold out of all of their desserts and yes, they had potato salad, baked beans and other tasty sides! I apologize for making you hungry.

The handicap cranked up after lunch after the traps were reset and the handicap began with 44 shooters. The top score was a 95 and it was broken by Isaac Doub and he got a punch no doubt. Caleb Mathis led the 53 doubles shooters with a 91 and won the HOA with a 99x86x91=276. Singles and caps were shot with no rain but the entire doubles event was in a misty cool rain. Wyatt Shoaf and Sam McInteer went three rounds to decide the RU singles winner with Wyatt the eventual winner. If we had not run 4 traps in doubles, we would have run out of light.

A big thanks to all that pitched in to help and without the club volunteers it would be impossible to get it all done. Big shout out to Margaret Johnson with all the work she did as the State SCTP Trap Director. Every year this event gets bigger and better and always the focus is youth shooting.

RCGC held a BIG50 on Mother’s Day and we had 8 show up. Weather was cool and windy, but it was great. Joel White was top gun with a 91 and had some stiff competition from Dylan Tomchik. His dad and Dylan rode up to join us and I remember when Dylan competed 3 years ago in our first SCTP State Singles Championship.

Ronnie Manuel shot last week for the first time in about two years and rana 25 right off the bat with the new grip he installed on the 1100. We are tickled to death on his round and look for him to be back out amongst us very soon. He also came out and scored on Saturday!

Well, I thought my PC was dying or died and that was quite a shock. It looks it was my battery was not charging even though it was plugged in. That is about it for this week, and I hope everyone has a great start to the week. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Thea and Anne and until next week……..smokem