April 4th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

April 4th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

April is here finally, and it came in with a bang. Carolina blue skies and a hint of wind across the southeast. Old Hickory at Rocky Mount shot Sunday and the South Carolina Hall of Fame is in the books for 2022.

Back-to-back shoots in North Carolina this weekend with Durham County the 9th and Buckhorn the 10th. This is the first shoot of the new year at DCWC and they always put on a great shoot and have a great lunch. Buckhorn shoots Sunday and they host a great shoot and lunch does not disappoint. Both days look great for weather with just a tad more wind on Sunday.

Old Hickory at Rocky Mount shot Sunday and they had a good turnout. Glenn Alford won the singles and the handicap with Greg High winning the doubles. Karole Miller won the HOA. Brandon Matthews showed up and shot well. Mark your calendars for their next shoot May 28th.

The South Carolina Hall of Fame hosted a two-day event with 300 targets each day. Frank Ketron was inducted into the HOF and he is very deserving of this great honor. They had a great turnout with Mike Castle winning the singles, 3 way tie for caps with 94’s with Vassili Tsabunieris (short), Shelby Odum (lady) and Sam McInteer (jr) and JrGold Brady Cox winning the doubles. 71/65/52 entries on Saturday and that is a great turnout on a Saturday in South Carolina.

Sunday the day started with doubles and the wind was rolling across the Spartanburg Gun Club. Brady Cox won the doubles, Caleb Mathis won the singles and Sam McInteer and Logan Glaspy tied and shotoff with Sam the winner. Sam McInteer got two one-yard punches in two days in South Carolina. Preston Lunn won the HOA with Caleb Mathis and Sam close behind. 55/64/51 entries on Sunday and that made for a long day in Spartanburg.

Folks are still looking for shells and evidently, they are finding some. I mean look at how many people showed up at Spartanburg to shoot in the Hall of Fame. And within a few weeks the NC Hall of Fame and the Georgia State shoot will be happening at the same time. I know folks are finding shells with a price range from 10-15 bucks a box. I read a post on facebook questioning why they couldn’t find any shot for reloading and that is my question also? We are entering the meat of the trapshooting season and dealers that sell guns are limiting their shell sales to 1 or two flats over a long period of time. Hopefully it will loosen up and more shells and supplies will become available.

The NC Hall of Fame happens the 21-24th of April with George Sudderth going into the Hall. George has been around quite awhile and has won all over the Southeast. He is truly deserving and will be a great addition to the NCHOF. Hopefully the weather will be great and they will have a big turnout.

Looking into May the Rockingham County Gun Club will be hosting the North Carolina SCTP State Trap Championships the 7th. This is normally a large event and last year I believe we had 60 entries in the singles. This is open to all ATA shooters so come join us to shoot and watch a large group of youth shooters take the line. Youth is the future of our sport and worth investing in. We will have a food truck that will be serving everything from fish to wings and hot dogs and Italian sausages. If you are interested in scoring or loading, please let me know and we will get you on the email list.

Ok that is about it folks and I hope everyone has a great week. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Thea and Anne and until next week…………smokem