March 28th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

March 28th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Another great windy weekend in North Carolina and here comes April. Several events in North Carolina and South Carolina this weekend and before you know it state shoots are here again.

Buccaneer shot Saturday and I do not have a shoot report. Watauga cancelled their shoot Saturday due to cold temps and high winds.

Rockingham County shot a BIG50 Thursday with 13 entries and the weather was dark, but the wind was manageable. Mark Spoon broke a 50 in singles to lead all shooters and Doug Monjeau and Gage Malone broke 47’s in the caps. Doug took the BIGDOG pot, and everyone had a great time. April 14th and 28th are scheduled for two more BIG50’s so please come out and join us.

Spartanburg will host a two-day event this weekend to celebrate the induction of Frank Ketron. Frank has registered 98,000 singles, 72,200 handicap and 70,230 doubles. He is a great guy and we got to spend a little time with him and his girlfriend while we were in Florida. I hope he has a great time and hope some folks can shoot me some pictures.
Old Hickory at Rocky Mount will host their first registered shoot of 2022 this Sunday. Rocky Mount has three traps and a great facility and a great lunch. It has been a few years since I have shot there, and I hope they have a great turnout.

The Florida State shoot is in the books, and we had several NC shooters participating. 5 including Brad Barnett, Tiffany Decker, Tyler Cox, Dennis Taylor and Bill Soper. I did some checking, and I am sure someone won something. Looks like Tyler Cox won Jr-Gold doubles trophy and if there are more winners, I apologize for not finding them.

Shells or primers what has anyone found. Luckily, I fell into a sleeve of 5000 Cheddites that was a part of an 8-sleeve order. They cost $242 for the 5000 primers and that is $92 more than I paid for 5000 in 2021. I might try to look for shells this week in the Greensboro are Randleman area. Regardless of what you believe as to whether a Cheddite will spread out the primer cup, I solved the issue. I only load Cheddite and I haven’t seen WIN209 primers in years.

As I have written before some clubs are leaning towards using a new shoot cashiering program called ScoresR. Watauga, Buckhorn and now Rockingham are testing and looking at the features this cloud based program has. One neat feature is the ability to squad prior to arriving at the club and that might come in handy and speed the process up. Also, the program can printout the score sheet with legible names and yardage designations for the scorers. You can also access the site and look at scores form the shoot. So, look forward to new things to come at a club near you.

Harlan Campbell will be teaching at the Rockingham Gun Club this weekend and then I believe at Buckhorn. I got to shake his hand at the Southern Grand and it looks like he has a busy schedule ahead. I took his class years ago and have the notes to prove it. He is a great instructor, and we are happy to have him in NC teaching.

Ok that is going to do it for this week. I hope everyone has a great week and hopefully you can get out and shoot this week. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Thea and Anne and until next week…………………smokem