January 24th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

January 24th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Great weather in North Carolina with not one but two weather events. That sleet was no joke once it piled up and froze like eskimo bricks. Anyway, it is all good and looking forward to warmer weather really soon.

The Silver Dollar 2022 shoot is in the books. This shoot replaced the void left by the Dixie Grand that moved to North Carolina. Tiffany Decker was the only NC shooter at the event and won some of that SD bling. Some of my Konne-Yaut friends from PA were there including Kevin Dallmus, Richard Milbert and Ed Bayer. Looks like the weather was a bit cold with I believe 46 degrees on Sunday. The handicap scores were not that high and usually equates to windy conditions.

In case you are searching for shells it looks like the premium shell vendors along with the retailers are making it very expensive to continue in the sport of trapshooting. With Remington Gun Clubs at $100 a flat and just recently a post showed STS at $170 a flat. I did find some red box Federals at Wal-Mart last week for under 30 dollars for a four-box sleeve. Those are the first Federals I have found that I could buy more than three boxes at a time. Also has anyone found any WIN209 or Federal primers anywhere? Are they making it hard to reload to push shooters to buy these shells that were one third or half the price two years ago?

I also heard that the new Cheddite primers might be closer to the specs of the 209’s due to the tendency of the old primers spreading out the cup in the base. Folks found out that if they used Cheddite’s and then tried to use a 209 primer they would possibly wobble around or fall out. If anyone has a micrometer, could they check out the primers if you have the old yellow box and the new primers? Let me know what you find out.

If you go look at the Silver Dollar shoot info you will see at the bottom of the page Shootpro Cloud. This is the new system that used to be 3S. This is the company that wants to charge you three dollars a day to get you registered in their cashiering system. Evidently this company is interested in the bigger clubs to make to sure they make money on this venture.

I hope everyone has a great week and maybe we can enjoy a weekend without cold temps and slick roads. Van Denton floated a model that showed about 18 inches here in Greensboro over the weekend. I would say that is not going to happen right now. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Thea and Anne and until next week……smokem