November 8th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

November 8th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Cool and windy and a month early it looks like. It is that time of year again when the shooting slows down, and the shells get loaded and things get prepared for warmer weather shooting in 2022. Of course, there are shoots during the winter months in NC and adjoining states and out West and down in Florida.

Buckhorn shot over the weekend and Sunday provided some sporty conditions for the hearty souls that braved the elements. Caleb Mathis and Shawn Reese tied with 96’s in the singles with Caleb one better in the shootoff. David Nelson broke and 85 to win the caps and Caleb won the doubles with a 92 and the HOA with a 271. From the looks of it a good batch of toys were collected and from what Karole Miller posted about lunch everyone got their belly full.

I know this is called TarHeelTrap but hey skeet shooters use a trap also now don’t they. The Rockingham County Gun Club hosted their first registered skeet event in maybe about 4 years. The event was well attended, and it was geared for SCTP youth shooters in particular. It was a cold windy day and I have video to prove it. They had 5 or 6 squads in the 12-gauge event and not sure how many shot the 20. It was great to see the fields being utilized and making memories. Mike Hatfield did a great job and hopefully 2022 will offer several 2 day all gauge events. Last week the new skeet clubhouse was finished and hopefully the insulation and wiring will be installed. It looked great and much closer to the range.

I had the pleasure of meeting David Eckert at the skeet shoot Saturday. I would imagine he is in his mid 70’s and in pretty good shape for a man of his age. He was wearing a ball cap with pins and a green winter shooting jacket. I cranked up a conversation with him to see where he was from and a little bit about him. He lives in Winston Salem and has been an avid skeet competitor for many years. He was in a squad with some SCTP youth and when he stepped to the line, he was shooting a Remington 1100 with a Cutts Compensator. When he shot his four targets on his first station, they were all smoke balls. He ran that trap and wound up with possibly the high score of the day with a 98. I mentioned what he broke to one of the parents and one of the coaches said the man has shot about 250,000 registered skeet targets in his lifetime. Anyway, it was great to meet him, and I will be sending his wife the pictures and video of him shooting.

Shells and reloading supplies have you found any yet? I have seen pictures from around the country showing flats of gun clubs for $100 a flat. That is correct, the harsh feeling low antimony Gun Clubs are $10 a box. How much will the premium shells be? Word has it that Blue Collar reloading supplies is carrying some shells and the Lexington gun shop in Lexington so check that out. BCRS might allow you to purchase more than one flat, but the Lexington shop limits it to one flat.

I posted a few weeks ago about Phil Berkowitz and his back surgery. I called him Sunday night and he is home and resting and undergoing PT and the normal things associated with major back surgery. Of course, he lives in Florida and he is anxious to get back out and burn some powder on the trap field. Also, TN trap shooter Trent Inman posted a prayer request for his mother. Several years ago, Trent broke his first 200 straight at the NC Homegrounds and I took a picture of him pointing to his score on the scoreboard. Please keep them in your prayers and she needs a miracle.

That will about do it for this week. I will be going back in time over the next few wintry months and looking at previous smoke reports to mention things and people from days gone by. Always interesting to look back from time to time. Hello to Scott in PA, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobbie, Thea and Anne and until next week………smokem
smokem

Re: November 8th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

11/29/2014

Hello to all and I hope you had a great weekend. The weekend was beautiful and for those that got out to shoot I know you had a great time. Coharie shot over the weekend and Mac has posted the shoot report. Three shoots this weekend with Old Hickory and Gastonia on Saturday and Buckhorn's Toys For Tots shoot on Sunday. Rockingham will host their monthly Lewis Class shoot on Sunday beginning at 2PM.

Coharie held their last registered shoot of 2014 and Mac won the singles, Danny Lloyd won the handicap and Greg High won the doubles with Mac winning the HOA. Looks like a little frost on the ground Saturday morning and shooters arrived to a chilly clubhouse due to a faulty heater. Handyman Al Williams got it working and all heat was restored. Dates for 2015 are as follow......3/7/15 - 4/11/15 - 5/16/15 - 6/27/15 - 8/1/15 - 9/12/15 - 10/10/15........And there you have it.

Three registered and one non-registered shoot this weekend. Gastonia and Old Hickory host a typical 300 target program this Saturday. Buckhorn hosts their annual Toys For Tots shoot Sunday and bring a toy for the Marines to distribute to the local needy children. Rockingham hosts their Lewis Class shoot Sunday at 2PM with 50 singles and 50 caps shot 1 yard past your ATA handicap yardage. Three Lewis class payouts with a $20 entry fee.

I got an email from South Carolina shooter Pat Childers about a new 1 trap gun club near Tabor City NC. Former Myrtle Grove manager Bill Martin will be running the Trap, Skeet, 5-Stand and new Sporting Clays course that is under construction. Terry Roush took a trip to certify the trap field for registered ATA events. I have posted the info about the club and a few pictures of the trap and the folks on site when Terry visited Thursday. Go to NC Club News and then click on the thread "Newest NC Trap Club". The club will be hosting BIG50 shoots and registered shoots just like they did at Myrtle Grove. You are going to pay $8 for a round of trap so just an FYI........

I took a look at the ATA newsletter PostOne and they are stressing the fact that a lot of folks are preparing for the 2015 Grand American. If you had a spot last year you will be good but after December 15th you can register for camping spots. For more info you can visit http://www.shootata.com. Has it been awhile since you received Trap & Field? 12 issues for $35 to keep you up to date with the happenings in the ATA all year round. The ATA is offering 5 free ATA memberships for new folks wanting to join the ATA. If you have friends that are on the fence about joining just check with your local club for more information. ATA average cards can be printed out on the web now and the ATA rulebook is also available on the web........Just got to http://www.shootata.com for the 411.

A week ago on Sunday night I was sitting in the room with JC Nunn at the Hospice Home off of Westchester drive in High Point NC. Little did I know that it would be the last time I would see this man drawing a breath. I got the call Monday morning from his son Ricky and I just knew it was the end for the old Tailgunner. Things went pretty quick and the wake was Thursday night at the Hanes Lineberry Funeral Home on Elm Street in Greensboro. As I entered the viewing area there was an actual bench style trap with a Champion target on the arm and a box of targets in front of the trap. There was his NCTA Hall Of Fame plaque on an easel and the old AL2 on one side and the AL391 I sold JBird in 2006. Around the room were pictures and the wreathes had clay targets attached into the flowers like a pair of doubles. A large flat screen TV displayed about 100 pictures that were supplied by Ricky and myself. At one time a group of about 15 - 20 jockeyed for position to view this smiling gentleman we all knew and loved.

On the other side was the Tailgunner finally at rest and ready to be viewed by his family and friends. He looked good actually and his Hall Of Fame pin was on his suit lapel. I want to thank everybody that attended Thursday night and especially to Billy Thigpen and his wife for making the trip from Shelby to honor JC. There were folks from his Church and folks that worked with him at the News & Record. I also noticed flowers that were sent from the Buckhorn Gun Club and the Watauga Gun Club and they were beautiful and appreciated.

Friday was the day of the service in the chapel and the preacher did a great job even though he new very little about JC. It was a simple service with a couple of old school hymns and JC would have enjoyed the way it was conducted. The procession took off and it was an adventure but we did manage to get to the cemetery before the hearse did. The pallbearers included myself, Lane Murray, JT Brewer, Scott Shoulars, Lewis Wyatt and Tommy Brown. JC was entombed above ground in a chapel and as the coffin was brought to a rest the Veterans honor guard proceeded with their 21 gun salute. I was pretty good until then and then the folding of the American flag was next. It seemed like an eternity and then it was all over.

I rode by Sunday on the way to Rock to see exactly which tomb he was in and evidently they were preparing the plaque for his spot. Every time I ride up or down highway 29 I will be thinking about JC and all the fun we had riding around and shooting Trap. He will surely be missed but never forgotten. I called some of his friends to let them know some of the details and they included Jim Mitchell in Georgia, Bob Batke in Ohio, Chuck Dalmus in Georgia and Russell Tibi in Pennsylvania. He had friends all over and outlived most all of them.......

That is about it for this week and the weather looks good for Saturday and 70% chance of rain for Sunday and 47 degrees...........BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - Hello to Hap, Scott and Lou and until next week.......................................................Smokem