October 18th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

October 18th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Greetings and what a great weekend. That cooler weather has been great and the wind over the weekend really made the targets a little sporty at Buckhorn and Rockingham. Needless to say it will be near freezing in the NC mountains with a low of 36.

Several shoots over the weekend with Rockingham and Buckhorn shooting. Saturday started out great and according to Mark Cox the lack of wind when the singles started was just a teaser for things to come. Caleb Mathis broke 50 and caught a woopdeedoo target on trap 1 for his only miss on his way to the winning 99. Sam Mcinteer led all caps shooters with a 92 and added a ½ yard punch to her ATA card. Caleb was the first wave out in the dubs and broke a 95 in some windy conditions. His 99/90/95 won the HOA and a solid performance on National Trapshooting Day/Month at the ROCKingham Gun Club. Thanks to all that attended and to all that helped.

Thanks to Barron Church I got the scores from the shoot at Buckhorn Sunday. Looks like it was the John Miller show with a 98 in singles, 90 in caps and a 96 in dubs in windy conditions…….that is some great shooting. These are the first scores I have gotten from BGC and nothing from the last two shoots.

Wing Fling at Watauga happens this weekend and you don’t want to miss this shoot. Looks like a little sporty with 55 degrees and winds 10-15. I wonder if Randy “Boone” Jones will be sporting his mountain shorts this Saturday? Papa John Waters will be cooking up some of the best wings you could ever eat, and I am sure there will be some fixings to go along with all the meaty goodness. Hopefully Morgan will post some scores or maybe someone could take pictures of the scores if they could, and we will put them up.

So, what have you heard about shells lately? Looks like folks are still finding them because folks are still shooting. Facebook is full of info about premium brand shells and how great they are, but nobody can seem to find any. Word on the street is that the manufacturers are unable to get polymer to make the plastic shells. This is the first I heard about that and is it true or is it not true. I heard the manufacturers were operating around the clock but who do you believe?

TarHeelTrap the website was started in 2002 by me to promote trapshooting in NC and beyond. That is 19 years of taking time to post shoot info, scores, obituaries, shooter health info and pictures. When we started there were more clubs throwing registered targets than there are now. Coharie, Buncombe, Polk County, Old Hickory@Bostic and until just recently Ft. Bragg started registering targets. Right now, we have the Homegrounds, Watauga, Durham County, Ft. Bragg, Old Hickory Rocky Mount, Buccaneer and Rockingham registering targets. A couple of years ago I decided to take TarHeelTrap to Facebook and that has gotten a lot of attention and about 535 members to date. It was established to do the same thing and that is to promote trapshooting in NC and in other states. I think folks that don’t get to shoot and either follow this website or the FB feed really enjoy getting the info and scores from a shoot after it is over. If a club posts their scores to the shootata website that is great and maybe some of these clubs that are not posting their scores on tarheeltrap are doing it there and maybe I need to check that out. If not, you will not know who the winners are until it is published in Trap&Field in about three months. For the clubs that take the time to publish the scores thanks and to the ones that I don’t hear from we would be willing to help in any way to get your scores posted. I mean why take the time to promote trapshooting in North Carolina. I mean maybe it just promotes itself, I guess right? We are approaching a new year and I have a decision to make and that is whether to continue taking my time to promote trapshooting in NC. What would 19 years be like without TarHeelTrap promoting trapshooting in NC? Ask yourself that question? I know it would continue on regardless.......

Continue to remember Tim Davis and his family after his fathers passing. Also, Phil Berkowitz went under the knife on Thursday for major back surgery. It was evidently a two-day procedure and he said he would contact me when he got into a room and off the meds. He still uses a flip phone, so texting is not a mode he prefers. Ronnie Manuel is on the mend from his major back surgery and turns out the surgeon that operated on him is a member of the Rockingham County Gun Club and shoots trap. Ronnie hopes to be back on that stool pulverizing clay targets in the very near future.

Ok that is about all I have for this week. I did speak to Tom Shelley and he is gearing up for the wing fling. He got his eyes set and whippin Tom Pitts and said even Sudd might show up with his new smokepole. Hello to Scott in PA, Ronnie, Cowboy in FLA, Tim, Bobby, Thea and Anne and until next week…………..smokem