May 11th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

May 11th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Interesting weather weekend with cool, cloudy windy conditions Saturday and clear, deluge, sunny, windy repeat......conditions on Sunday. Buckhorn hosted a two day shoot and thanks to Dan Johnson I have a great shoot report already posted by him. LCP shot Wednesday and I have that shoot report also. CSL shoots this Saturday for the folks that don't make the South Carolina State Shoot that starts Wednesday.

Buckhorn shot Saturday and Sunday and here is some of the info. John Miller won the singles with a 99, Dan Johnson won the handicap with a 95 and the handicap with a 95 and the HOA with a solid 289. Sunday Chase Walker broke a 96 to win the singles and a 94 to win the handicap. Winky Mabe won the doubles with a 90 and Chase won the HOA with a 269. They had a big crowd Saturday and the majority of the crowd sat on the porch working each other over between the downpours.

LCP hosted their weekly BIG50 on Wednesday and they had four shooters. Harold Smith held the top spot with a 45, Terry Lewis had a 41, Mike Petrone 36 and bringing up the rear was Paul Miraglia with a 35. LCP will resume their BIG50 on the 20th due to the SC State Shoot.

I did a recon trip Saturday to put up tent city and the club was getting the SCG ready for the 100th Annual South Carolina State Trapshoot. Ron Burdick had some interesting info and it involves a trap that hasn't been used at the SC State Shoot since maybe 2002. Trap 1 that has the hill that drops off to the left is now the practice trap. "NEW" Trap 1 was old trap 2 and if you draw that bank you have two great fields. The next bank marries the trap beside the big tree and the trap to the right of the tree. Now for the best part - Trap 8 that had the road and the bank on the left is now trap 7 and old # 8 is back in play after all these years.

It Is BACK.........what is that white pole for on the left?

Evidently they thought that they had only 7 traps and were going to wave all events similar to Georgia. Ron got #8 back up and running so the "4" bank 8 trap system could be used. The last time I shot on Trap 8 I was down only 5 going into the last trap. They had dropped the speakers and they hand pulled our squad. Donnie and Dickie Pigg rode down and were waiting for our squad sheet. I dropped 3 on that last trap for a 92 and walked back up the hill.

Roger Shaffer asked me how I had done and I sort of dejectedly said I think I had a 92. He looked at me right in my eye and said I think you might have won it. I laid my 30" Beretta AL391 down with a Briley Full choke and headed to the scoreboard. I spotted a 93 in state and a 92 in state and lo and behold my 92 turned out to be the winning score for the out of state caps winner. Hit the Lewis at the top and bought myself in the Calcutta........maybe I need to go back to shooting that Beretta?

A big crew from NC is heading to SC this year including the Watauga Cartel including Team 1 and Team 2 and the "Rogue Unit" BamBam. Jimmy "Baby Face" Wilson - Dead Eye Dan Johnson - Bad Brad Barnett - Sweet Charlie Brown and John "The Hammer" Miller will be attending and hearing Karole's call resonate through the SC hills will be great!

Everybody have a great week and I will keep everybody posted. Hello to Hap, Scott and Lou and until next week..................Smokem