April 27th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

April 27th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

April showers bring May flowers and I hope the pollen goes away. Big week of trapshooting in North Carolina with the Dogwood ending Sunday. There are three shoots planned for NC including a LCP BIG50 Wednesday and Rockingham and Charlie Brown shoot Saturday.

Late LCP BIG50 shoot info from Pat Childers - What a beautiful day to shoot this week. Some of you are missing out on some terrific shooting days. I’m sorry I was not able to shoot but the grandkids had precedence. Harold Smith turned in the Top Gun performance this week with a score of 47. Rich Long was one bird back with a 46. Terry Lewis broke 44 and Mike Petrone took out 43. Wayne Averill completed the squad with a 40. We will soon be throwing all orange targets as soon as we work through the remaining black rim targets. This info was taken from the LCP newsletter.....

The Dogwood is over and between wind and the threat of rain the show had to go on. Starting Thursday the wind was a big factor but it didn't stop Dan Johnson from breaking a 100 to win the singles. Steve Watson won the caps with a 95 and Tommy Brown won the doubles with a 93. Friday Doubles I believe PA shooter Sheldon Hostetter won with a 9?, Jimmy Wilson, John Miller and Jim Dotson broke 99's and that might have been carried over to Saturday. Randy "Boone" Jones broke a solid 99 to win the caps.

Saturday at the Dogwood the weather fooled everybody with dreary conditions but no heavy rain. Dan Johnson broke a 99 in the morning right beside SC shooter Gary Olson that broke a 100. Dan ran the 2nd 100 to post a 199 and win the singles over runner-up Jeff Galloway by 2 birds. To top it off Dan broke a 95 in the caps and tied SubJr Tyler Ward that resulted in a shootoff that resulted in Dan winning by 1 bird.

Sunday I heard that Jimmy Wilson won the doubles and William Ward won the caps. Hopefully the "official" Dogwood scores will be available to post sometime today. From what I heard everybody had a great time and my Konne-Yaut Indian friend Scott Holdren attended and enjoyed the shoot. I also heard that the High Chief of the Okoboji Indians was in attendance also.

As mentioned earlier LCP shoots their BIG50 Wednesday and Charlie Brown and Rockingham shoot Saturday. Weather is looking like mid 70's with clear skies and minimal winds.

Georgia State cranks up this week and there are several NC shooters attending. Danny Lloyd will be holding over at the HG and then travel down to Conyers for the festivities. The Galloways will be attending along with Bobby Hill and Greg High. I took a look at PreSquad.com and it looks like GA will have a healthy turnout.

The Watauga Cartel showed up and some shot better than others. Tom Shelley and Tom Pitts squared off in the singles and Shelley wound up 4 birds to the good when the smoke settled. When I called Shelley Saturday night he was aiming to wear Pitts down on Sunday. Not sure what they broke Sunday but the dashing duo wound up tied for the 400 targets.

That is about it for now and I hope everybody has a great week. I am looking for milder warmer weather and I wish all the best attending the GA State Shoot. Hello to Hap, Scott thanks for attending the Dogwood and Lou I expect to see you at the 101st NC State Shoot......and until next week..................................................................................Smokem