March 16th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

March 16th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Good morning and I hope you enjoyed the rainy, sunny and windy weekend. I will take it compared to all the weather experienced in February. One shoot to report, one shoot this Sunday at BGC and the Southern Grand runs from today until Sunday the 22nd.

Low Country Preserve held their weekly BIG50 Wednesday and had 8 folks show up to shoot. Pat stated that with temps in the 70's he actually broke a sweat. Rich Long topped all shooters with a 46, regular Terry Lewis and guest Terry Dines broke 44's, Mike Burrell was third with a 43 followed by a pair of 42's shot by Mike Petrone and Harold Smith. Pat Childers broke a 41 and Fred Barnett brought up the rear with a 40. With nicer weather just around the corner they expect to field 3 fields in the very near future.

Buckhorn hosts their monthly registered shoot Sunday the 22nd. Weather is looking like low 60's with very little chance of rain and a tad bit breezy. They always put on a good shoot and throw some great targets. Dan Johnson has been wreaking havoc and sweeping up points at the local shoots. Maybe Dan and Jimmy will knot up and go head to head at the Buckhorn Gun Club this Sunday.

Not quite sure who all is at the Southern Grand this week and only time and targets will tell. You can keep up with the activity by going to http://www.rjstuart.com - you will find the real time leader board and also the winners of the events unless there is a carryover in the singles and doubles events. Some of those AAA - AA - A shooters might go two or three days without missing a singles or doubles target. All the big guns should be there ready to pick up All American points at this big event. Jeff Galloway is there along with Noah Gouge and my friend Tommy Freeman from Tennessee. Dave Shaffer is down there and I know Harlan and Kay Ohye cant be too far behind. In 2014 Harlan won the HAA with a 394 and the HOA with a 973................can he do it again?

Lots of activity up on the hill. Tom Shelley actually got the Kolar out this weekend and nipped Tom Pitts by 1 bird. Shelley has been absent from the shooting scene and had the Nova out visiting a birthday party with the galpal to meet her parents last week. Pitts stated that Shelley got a little misty when he opened the case after 5 months. Pitts is on a fixed income and has a two box limit and has to make every bird count. King Sudd is field testing a pit crew to help adjust the Precision Fit stock and is using a GoPro and a stopwatch to fine tune the operation. Looks like the Watauga kids are heading to a "Hunter Safety District" shoot next Saturday and I know Morg will have them ready to go. May 23rd will be the first registered shoot at the Watauga Gun Club so please make plans to attend.

I will try to update the info from the Southern Grand when I can. I will post it under "Out-Of'-State Trapshoot Info". I always like to see NC shooters on the leader board and the way Jeff has been practicing I would imagine we will see his name before the week is out. Have a great week and hello to Hap, Scott and Lou and until next week...................................Smokem