January 26th Smoke Reoport

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

January 26th Smoke Reoport

Post by smokem »

January is almost over and the East Coast is bracing for a huge snow storm. Thank goodness it is going to miss this area and that is a good thing. No registered events in NC this weekend with BGC hosting their non-registered 75 Bird Race on Sunday. The Dixie wrapped up yesterday and I heard the weather was interesting at best.

Jimmy Wilson called me earlier in the week to inform me that NC HOF member Jerry Ricker had passed. Details are incomplete at this time because his daughter and son in law are flying in from the Philippines. I talked to Marty Wood Sunday night and he is in communication with Jerry's daughter and Terry Roush will get the word out when details are finalized. Jerry was moved to a facility in Raleigh and has been there for at least 5 months or more. Please keep the family in prayer during this time.

Low Country Preserve shoot their monthly BIG50 Wednesday and their monthly registered shoot scheduled for the 24th was cancelled to do the threat of inclement weather. Next registered event in NC will be Ft. Bragg on the 7th of February. Coharie will not shoot until March 7th........Thanks Mac

Bill Howe and I had a chance to chat a bit last week and it looks like Billy Thigpen is back out shooting. Bill said he shot his first 100 singles targets in quite some time at the Greeneville SC club. Also, Bills friend Brian Luther from New York will be sporting a new custom made Kolar this season and I can't wait to see it. Brian is the fellow that shoots two doubles targets in the time it takes me to shoot one. I posted a video of Brian on trap 8 in Spartanburg several years ago mashing pairs like only he can do.

The Dixie is over and 11 NC shooters registered birds in Florida. I know that Danny Lloyd, McKinneys, Keevers, Roush, Duncans, and not sure who else attended. Clay Floyd from VA shot well and I noticed that Trey Wilburn had also shot at the Dollar. Frank Pascoe won the singles, Harlan Campbell won the doubles and Jeff Conley won the handicap. Michael Blaisdell won the HAA with a 380 and Clay Floyd was RU also with a 380. Michael Blaisdell won the HOA with a 949 and Clay was RU with a 947. Attendance overall was down a bit but the singles attendance was off 138 shooters compared to 2014. Windy conditions played a big part in folks decisions to stay on the porch but some ventured out to collect their rewards. PA SubJr Jack Noftz was inducted into the Konne-Yaut Indians in 2013 and his sister and dad came in at Ruffsdale in 2014. He got a punch Sunday for his 94 - great shooting Jack! All the results can be found on http://www.rjstuart.com. Also, Danny will be sending me some pix of the scoreboards for you to gander at.

The NC Mountains have been getting a little snow and it looks like BamBam and Spy1 have been staying warm and toasty in their hoody footies practicing their gun lifts and don't get fully dressed until noon each day. They are using Skype to give each other pointers with Spy1 perfecting the Harlan "PUSH" and BamBam perfecting the Sudderth "PULL". Won't be long until there will be gunsmoke rolling in the Watauga Gun Club valley.

The crew assembled at the Rock Sunday and they included Lewis, Tommy Brown, Jeff and Hunter Galloway with Lane Murray and Scott Shoulars. I wanted to attend but went out to eat with friends we use to go to Church with until they moved to Martinsville VA. I am sure fun was had by all.

Danny "Lobo" Lloyd called me Sunday afternoon to discuss his adventures at the Dixie Grand. Evidently he got a good dose of Florida shooting and even took the time to take a Harlan Campbell clinic. He experienced the "Golf Side" of the club and he said the weather Saturday was interesting at best. He will be on his back North today and will getting into position to travel to shoot in the very near future.

Georgia Junior Gold shooter Preston Lunn shot well at the Dixie and won JrGold in the championship Singles/Doubles/Handicap and the JrGold HAA winner. I met Preston at the South Carolina State shoot several years ago and he was a product of the Spartanburg GC AIM shooting team. He is a fine young man and shot rather well at the NC HOF shoot in 2014. Great to see these young men staying around the sport and hats off to the coach that worked with him in South Carolina.

Have a great week everybody and it looks wet early in the week. Hello to Hap - Scott and Lou and until next week...............................................Smokem