January 12th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

January 12th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

A little nasty start to the week here in Jamestown NC this morning. With all of those cold temps last week I hope your plumbing held up to the deep freeze. That 10 degree morning gave me a look at a garage door that wouldn't fully open at 6:30 AM. Thanks goodness for Google and a can of Tri-Flo.

I have a couple of shoot reports to discuss and there is one BIG 50 Wednesday and one registered shoot this Saturday the 17th at Gastonia. Buckhorn shot the 4th and a group of hardy souls braved the elements to register some of the first targets shot in 2015. Kevin Biss and Jon Reitz posted 98's and wound up flipping rather than getting soaked to the bone in a driving rain.

Low Country Preserve shot their BIG50 last week and Mike Burrell was the top gun with a 46. Two full squads stepped to the line Wednesday and it was a good thing they did with the freezing cold temps that came Thursday. Mike Petrone broke a 46 and Wayne Schiavi had a 42. Info from their December registered shoot Mike Burrell and Brian Frost posted 96's in the singles and Brian had the top score in the caps with a 94. Doubles was shot with Pat Childers the winner with a 74. LCP holds their next BIG50 the 14th and their monthly registered shoot is the 24th.

Ft. Bragg shot this Saturday the 10th and 13 folks showed up for the festivities in the sandhills. They had three new shooters join the ATA including 2 SubJr's and Will Price slid off the mountain with his coach Randy "Boone" Jones. Mike Petrone came off the Coast to shoot with two of his NY friends Jon Reitz and Wayne Schiavi. Mike Petrone won the singles, Will Price led all caps entries and Jon Reitz won the doubles shootoff over Will Price. Will won the HOA with a 249x300 and I am certain his shooting coach is mighty proud! Ft. Bragg will shoot next the first weekend of February on Saturday the 7th.

Gastonia will host their first shoot of 2015 on Saturday the 17th of January. They have two traps and if you have never been to Gastonia it is an interesting place to shoot. Phillip Putnam will run the event and he is a great fellow and hopefully I can get their program to post here on the website. The phone number is 704-866-6065 and his email addy is putmanp@bellsouth.net...the club address is 1360 Tulip Drive in Gastonia NC and they are right off the highway!

I touched base with one of my contacts in Boone and he filled me in on a few little items. Looks like George has installed the ultimate comb on his prosthesis and hopefully he will get that tweaked prior to the Dogwood. Tom Shelley has installed his Kolar as a shower curtain holder and I have yet to get a picture of his decorative flair. Word has it that he bagged him some Armadillo's down in Alabama and I didn't know folks traveled that far to shoot Armadillo's. Morg is working with the kids and getting them ready for 2015 and no telling what they will win this year at the NC Homegrounds! Watauga's first trapshoot will be May 23rd so you have three months to get ready to shoot in the valley.

I called Ken Duncan earlier in the week to get some info on the 3S trapshooting software. He was at the Silver Dollar Gun Club and said that he was preparing to go eat dinner with the Keever's and Terry Roush and Linda. Ken said that Terry and Linda had picked up a cold bug while visiting Ohio and Linda wound up getting the flu. They both are finally feeling a bit better and ready to get out in the Florida sunshine. Bob Keever had a birthday last week and I hope he has a great time with family and friends.

Ken had a little trouble on his way to Florida and wound up picking up a piece of metal that ruined a front tire on the RV. 8 hours on the side of the road of I-95 near Savannah was an experience to say the least. Luckily they were able to mend the flat good enough for them to limp over to Billy and Marie Griffin's home on the river. Being the gracious hosts that they are the Griffin's offered the Duncan's a place to stay in their home but with the electrical hookup they had all the comforts of home in the RV. The new tire was located and Billy drove all the way to Jacksonville Florida to pickup the tire and brought it back to Savannah. That my friend is some true Southern hospitality if you ask me.

Jeff Galloway did a little duck hunting over the weekend and bagged a mallard that he might have mounted. Not exactly sure where they were hunting but he was hunting with some of his Remington co-workers. Dave Daily is doing well and his wife June was attending a Red Hat convention amongst about 400 other women. June recently had a hip replaced and had some real issues after the surgery with some pain. Evidently all of that is under control and I am glad she is doing much better. Hunter Galloway ventured to Bald Head Island Friday to check on the house because of the cold weather. Evidently they had issues contacting their caretaker and couldn't take a chance on a leak which could be costly.

I talked briefly with Lane Murray Sunday and he was heading to the Rockingham Gun Club to shoot some skeet with Lewis Wyatt and Chris Shoulars. He said they had a great time and Lewis is giving him the 411 on how to break those birds going left to right and right to left. I have considered setting my old 391 up for skeet and sporting clays and try my hand at those disciplines during the winter months.

Ok..have a wonderful week the weekend looks great for shooting in North Carolina. This is budget time for me and it will be a busy week at the Sheriff's Office. Hopefully I can get out this weekend and smoke a few clays and I hope you can also. Oh.....Lynn Gipson called Hunter Galloway last Thursday and told him he was headed the World Shooting Complex to shoot some winter league targets. The only problem was that with the wind chill it was zero degrees so shooting in 32 degree weather doesn't seem so bad. Hello to Hap, Scott and Lou and until next week....................................................Smokem