January 5th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

January 5th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Hello to all and welcome to the new year 2015. Time sure passes when you are having fun and even when you are not having fun. One registered shoot over the weekend and I hope to have a report sometime today. One shoot coming up this weekend and it will be held at Ft. Bragg. I will be reporting on the BIG50 events from Low Country Preserve and they have a shoot the 7th.

Odd weather we are having with temps in the mid 60's in the beginning of January. Things will be a changing this week with Thursday looking a little nippy. While everybody is waiting for the colder weather there are folks prepping for a trip to Odessa for the Dixie Grand. January 19-25 marks the dates for the Dixie Grand at the Silver Dollar Gun Club and it will be interesting to see how attendance will be this year. Harlan Campbell is hosting clinics on the 13/14 - 15/16 and the 31st and Feb 1 and the spots are filling up fast. Harlan can get you on your game and then you can take it out on the folks in Florida.

Factory shells are available at the local Gander Mountain but reloading supplies seem to be in short supply again. Tom Cox called Parks a few weeks ago and popular powder brands were not available. This is not a poor mans sport and if you want to shoot you are going to have to purchase new shells or reloading supplies. I am going to a little checking with the local spots to see who is carrying what and oh yeah shot is 60 bucks a bag at Gander.

The 2015 shoot schedule is filling up and the Rockingham Gun Club should have it's dates posted sometime this week. It looks like four registered shoots and four shoots that might be turned into BIG50 type events. Charlie Brown dates are up and that leaves Old Hickory and Durham County Wildlife to submit their schedules. Looks like a whole lot of shooting in North Carolina and that is a good thing.

Hunter Galloway spent the weekend on Bald Head Island until the power went out. It went out Sunday morning and it will not be restored until this morning. It seems that a vehicle somehow damaged a piece of equipment that supplies power to the island. I will never forget the first year of the NC state shoot at the Homegrounds when the transformer couldn't handle the load of the line and the campers. That was an interesting weekend for sure and they got the correct transformer installed and the shoot went on.

Ok that is about it and I hope everybody has a great week. The weather will become more winter like and I hope we have a good enough freeze to kill some bugs. Hello to Hap, Scott and Lou and until next week...............................Smokem