October 20th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

October 20th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Glorious weather weekend in the old TarHeel State with Saturday super windy. Three shooting events over the weekend with Old Hickory and Buckhorn shooting Saturday and Buckhorn and Rockingham shooting Sunday. Buckhorn scores will be posted tonight and CupCake will get Old Hickory up today or Tuesday.

Two shoots coming up this weekend with Ft. Bragg and Watauga hosting typical 300 target programs. Weather is looking great in both locations with a tad bit of wind to contend with but with sunny skies who is complaining. Watauga will have a little dindin Saturday night with Pop Waters cooking those delicious chicken wings in that cool mountain air.

Hunter Galloway and I visited JC Nunn Sunday afternoon and the old tailgunner is down to about 105 pounds. He has a doctors appointment this morning and not sure what the doctors will advise him to do. I visited him Friday and talked about the good times and the bad. He mentioned all the places he was stationed in the 2nd World War and all the gun clubs he shot at since 1964. He said that he had made a lot of friends in trapshooting and that he only met two people that he didn't really care for and that they were from New Jersey. Please continue to pray for him and if anything happens to JC I will get Terry Roush to send it out to his email list.

Word on the street is that former ATA President Terry Roush has the new Vette out in the mountains of NC and beyond. Evidently he was out touring around on the Blue Ridge Parkway in that road rocket. Also noticed on Facebook that NC resident JD Goodwin is married and has a bouncing baby boy. JD is one heck of a shot and I hope I am around to see his youngin out breaking clay one day.

Kim McKinney sent me a message informing me that Durham County Wildlife Club has cancelled their November 1st shoot. That will make Coharie the 1st shoot of November on the 8th, Old Hickory and Gastonia the 15th, Buckhorn the 16th and Ft. Bragg the 22nd. The only shoot in December will be on the 7th at Buckhorn.

The Rockingham Gun Club hosted their Lewis Class shoot Sunday and the weather was interesting. Lane Murray led all shooters with the lone 50 straight in singles and I backed into the high scores in caps with the lone 43. Lane took the high Lewis with Tommy Brown and Doc Gonzales taking the mid Lewis and Ray Shisler taking the low Lewis.

We had two new faces shooting with us and they work at Honda Jet. Kohan Chang and Anthony Columna shot with us for the first time and I hope they will be back for the November shoot. They stated that Honda has a group of employees that embrace the shooting sports and I hope we can get some of their co-workers out to the Rock for some instruction and competition.

Scott Shoulars invited me over to the lake cabin Thursday night for some country cooking. It was a men only event because chances are the ladies wouldn't eat fried turtle and squirrel pie. I had a big plate and dug into the delicacies and for the first time the turtle was real good and the squirrel tasted like chicken. There were probably 60 folks at the feast and one fellow said his chest hurt he was so full. They had homemade mashed potatoes, green beans, biscuits, persimmon pudding and apple cobbler washed down by sweet tea. You just had to be there to experience the goodness of the food.

Dropped by the Gander Mountain Friday and they have a ton of Rio shells, Federals and AA shells. The Rio's are running about $7 a box and the AA's about $9. I took a look for components and they had chilled shot for $60 bucks a bag. There was a lonely bag of #6's laying there and thought they would make some good Annie or protection loads for sure.

That is about it for this week and I hope everybody has a great Monday. It will be a short week for me since I am taking off Friday. Remember Jerry Ricker, Muggs Corpening and of course JC in your prayers. Hello to Scott up North and Lou down South and Hap out West. Until next Monday morning..........................Sm :lol: kem