September 8th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

September 8th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Greetings from Jamestown North Carolina and I hope you had a great weekend. The weather statewide was good and a little cooler on Sunday. Three shoots over the weekend with reports in from Coharie and Rockingham. One shoot this Saturday at Old Hickory in Rocky Mount and the program is posted thanks to CupCake.

Coharie shot Saturday and Roger Bynum showed up to shoot and it looks like he has still got it after a big layoff. Greg High won the singles after the flip with Mac Herring, Marty Hill won the flip in caps with Roger Bynum and Greg High won the doubles and the HOA. Their next shoot is scheduled for November the 8th since the October 11th date was cancelled.

Rockingham shot Saturday and Steve Watson was the talk of the day. He broke 100 to win the singles, was 2 off the caps winners score with a 93 and won the doubles with a 96. That 289 was good enough to win the HOA and not too shabby I might say. Lane Murray broke a 99 in the singles and won the caps with a solid 95. David Smith visited from Bedford PA and shot rather well for his first birds in North Carolina. George Ponton visited and it was great to see him out and shooting for sure! Rockingham shoots on the 4th of October so please mark your calendar now! Steve was a little distressed that three of the four-horseman stayed in Boone. BamBam said it was too hot, SPY100 could not be contacted and SPY2 is courting so Steve had to make it all by himself........

Ron Wilson called Bob Keever and said that Ron had visited Jerry Ricker in rehab. He seemed to know who Ron was and there has been some progress in the movement of his arms and legs. Ron said that Jerry tried to say a word but that his speech has been affected by the stroke. Folks have been sending him cards and he really appreciates that. Info - Jerry Ricker - Care Partners - 68 Sweeten Creek Road - Room 102 - Asheville NC 28803.

I was invited to a fish fry Saturday night hosted by Scott Shoulars. I posted some pictures and a slideshow in the NC Club News section so please take a look. Also, the Rockingham Gun Club hosted their cookout and swap meet Sunday afternoon. About 500 people attended and dined on BBQ and all the fixins and about 12 feet of yummy treats. Some of the trap folks shot while everything was being prepared and Hunter Murray stepped to the line in front of a crowd and broke a solid 20x25. After the shooting a fellow remarked to Hunter - hey kid that was some great shooting and Hunter replied hey mister I ain't no kid I am a 45 year old midget. Lewis worked with some of the ladies on trap four and some actually hit some birds. I posted a picture and a slideshow in the NC Club News section so please go check it out!

I also ran into Damon Roach and he used to shoot with Elmo Matkins back in the day. We talked about Pinehurst and also the Spartanburg Gun Club. He is still pretty busy even though he is retired and is going to try to find the time to do a little shooting. I also ran into a young man named Hunter Harrelson and Hunter is home schooled and quite the gentleman. Hopefully he will get out to the club and shoot some trap with us real soon.

JC did not make it to the shoot Saturday or the cookout on Sunday. He is still on the mend from that bad food he ingested and assured me he was doing ok. He quit his job at the auto auction and said he was done working and was going to concentrate on some shooting. I am going to go by and check on him at lunch today and see how he is really doing. He did say that he had gone for a physical and he said that they checked him out from head to toe. Hopefully all of his blood work will come back ok even though he does have a small aneurism on one of his kidneys. Ya'll pray for him cause he is headed towards 92.......

Charlie Brown will host a registered shoot on the 21st and then the HOF starts on the 25th.......Hunter Galloway will be inducted in to the NCHOF and yours truly will be introducing him. I haven't worked out all of the details of my introduction but I will say that it will be short and sweet.......believe me.

Everybody have a great week and hopefully this weather will get cool at least by the HOF. Hello to Lou down South and Scott up North and until next week.................................Smokem!

For the NC shoot calendar mash on the link from NCTRAP:
http://nctrap.com/shoots2014.pdf