August 25th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

August 25th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Hello to all and to all a good morning. Great weather for shooting this weekend and I have one shoot report from the valley in the mountains. Also a big three day shoot over the Labor Day weekend holiday to keep you busy and close to home.

Bob Keever reports that Jerry Ricker suffered a severe stroke about three weeks ago. Jerry Surrette visited Jerry on the 18th and reported that he was in a serious condition. He is in rehab at Care Partners, 68 Sweeten Creek Road, Room 102, Asheville NC 28803. The phone number is 828-277-4800 and not really sure if you will be able to contact him directly. Our prayers go out for him and his family during this time.

Watauga hosted a 400 target Saturday and had a great turnout. Steve Watson and Crews Walden knotted up with 196's, Will Price broke a 96 to win the caps and Steve Watson won the doubles with a 97 and the HOA with a 383x400. On a side note I got an email from Morg that Boone's own Will Price won "C" Class 3rd in the White Flyer HOA 100 target event with 933x1000.....Great shooting Will and Randy "Boone" Jones is real proud of you I am sure.....Mark your calendars for the October 25th "Wing Fling" at the Watauga Gun Club.

Buckhorn will host a three day shoot over the long Labor Day holiday weekend. Saturday be prepared to shoot 100 caps - 100 singles - 100 caps, Sunday offers 100 singles - 100 caps and for you double lovers 100 PAIR and all targets will be PINK ALL PINK WHITE FLYER targets. Monday you can expect a typical 300 target program will 100 singles - 100 handicap - 50 pair of doubles. The program is posted if you need more details on the event. Buckhorn shoots next on the 18th & 19th of October so mark your calendar now.

The Cardinal Classic is over and NC had one winner in the mix. Marty Wood posted a 98 in the Jack Cheek handicap and got a 1 yard punch back to the 23. Keith Ditto from KY won the singles with a 200, Harlan Campbell won the doubles with a 100, Johnny Kitchen from KY won the caps with a 99 and Harlan won the HAA with a 394 and the HOA with a 1277. Our friend from VA Clay Floyd shot well all week and broke the lone 100 in the Rod's Custom Stocks handicap from the back fence.

One fellow that I missed that won at the Grand was North Carolina's own Dennis Taylor. He won B Class in the Clay Target Championship with a 198 and that is some great shooting Dennis.

JC Nunn is on the mend and must have gotten some type of food poisoning about two weeks ago. He is down about 14 pounds and he is a little on the thin side anyway. I slipped over to his house Friday to drop off a package that Hunter Galloway brought back from the Grand. I sat on the back steps and watched him rodeo riding his John Deere tractor and he didn't see me for a little while. He finally noticed that I was there and he asked me if I was watching him drive that tractor. Hopefully he will be back in shooting shape real soon.

I got word that Gene Batchelar passed away on the 20th of August. Gene was a friend of mine from trapshooters.com and I signed up for the caring bridge website when he began his initial fight with cancer. Gene was from Pennsylvania and will be buried in Pittsburgh. Trapshooting has lost another fine gentleman and he will surely be missed.

News from South Carolina and it looks like the Gun Club at Myrtle Grove is closing it's doors. I do not have a lot of details and might have more info in the near future. I really hate to hear that because there was a lot of registered shooting going on at MG. Hopefully someone will shed some light on the situation real soon. I checked to see if the website was still up and it is not available.

Ok....have a great week and I hope everybody has a safe Labor Day weekend. Hello to Scott up North and Lou down South and until next week.................................Smokem

For the NC shoot calendar mash on the link from NCTRAP:
http://nctrap.com/shoots2014.pdf