August 11th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

August 11th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

I guess I missed the 3 inches of rain here in Jamestown over the weekend. Amazing how the weatherman can be wrong 60% of the time and still have a job. One shoot over the weekend and no registered events for the 16th and the 17th. I managed to get scores posted from Buckhorns shoot last week and I will try to do better in the future.

Van Fleming made me aware that "Cocaine" Wayne Harrison passed away on the 6th of August. My grandfather gave him that nickname and even JC knew who I was talking about when I mentioned his name. I do not remember him but Dan Johnson verbally sparred with him on trapshooters.com from time to time. I had no idea he was sick and he shot extensively at the Rowan County Wildlife Club. He had recently sold his Perazzi to County DA Doug Henderson and had started shooting a gas gun because of recoil.

Buckhorn shot the third and Morris Carrol won the singles with a 100, Don Kaufman won the caps with a 96, Winky Mabe won the dubs and Dan won the HOA. They had a few visitors including Phil Davis on his way back to Montana and Lee Ann. Word on the street is that the next shoot will be held on the 30th&31st of August and the 1st of September. All targets will count on next years average card and Sunday and part of Monday's program will host an ALLPINK White Flyer target. That is correct and the all pink clay target will be flung at BGC against the green background...Should be very interesting and I might slip down to get some pix and video.

Coharie shot the 9th and it was a bit soggy with the 16's and caps shot and no dubs thrown. Tommy Brown won the singles, caps and HOA and missed his 44th bird to knock him out of the big MID50 pot. He shot alone and in the rain and was shooting Federal paper reloads from the back fence. Mark your calendar for September 6th when CSL holds their next monthly registered shoot. Junior shooter Dane Westbrook broke the high caps score with a 93 but opted to take Junior...........

I took a look at the Grand scores and what would you expect other than 100's in singles - caps and doubles. The format for viewing scores is a little tough but I have managed to muddle through it. Ted Carwile broke a 99 in caps Sunday and yes there were other 99's and two 100 straights. Jim Mitchell from GA is shooting good and noticed Blair Surber made it to the big dance. Jeff Galloway broke a 98 in 16's, 95 in caps and 96 in doubles on Sunday. 200 singles will be shot today and it will be a horserace just like every year with the pro shooters leading the way. I will try to keep up with it if I can.

If you are looking for powder to reload you might be surprised that it is in short supply at the Grand. Vendors are requiring buyers to buy wads, primers and shot if they want a jug of powpow... Gamaliel is selling shells at the shell house and did not bring any powder to the grand because they did not have any to bring. I took a trip to Gander Mountain last week and loa nd behold Rio is doing the rebate thing with their shells. I still have Clays - GreenDot and RedDot in a good supply but how long will that last?

I got an email from one of my Konne-Yaut Indian friends Scott Holdren last week. Scott looks like Kenny Rogers prior to all of the plastic surgery and is one heck of a shooter. He vacationed on the Outer Banks and mentioned how nice our state was with the coast and the mountains to enjoy. I am trying to entice him to come shoot with us in 2015 at the Dogwood and maybe even our NC State Shoot. It would be great to have you visit Scott and cant wait to see you spread lead in the TarHeel state.

Have a great week and if you are interested in golf the tournament is in Greensboro this week. Our command post is on site and I might have to visit to be sure everything is working properly......teehee.......Hello to Scott up North and to Lou down South and until next week......................Smokem........

Grand American Scores And Leaderboard:
http://www.shootata.com/ATANews/GrandAm ... sults.aspx

Grand American Program:
http://www.shootata.com/AboutUs/GrandAm ... ogram.aspx

ATA Post One Info:
http://www.shootata.com/portals/0/posto ... t_one.html

For the NC shoot calendar mash on the link from NCTRAP:
http://nctrap.com/shoots2014.pdf