June 23rd Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

June 23rd Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Watauga Gun Club ............

Summertime is here it looks like and I hope your air conditioning is working properly at your house. Thankfully a cool front pushed through and provided a great weekend for shooting in North Carolina. I have two shoot reports for the weekend and both Watauga and Ft. Bragg will shoot Saturday the 28th. With the July 4th Holiday right around the corner folks are gearing up to travel to Winchester for the Virginia State Shoot.

Got an email from Jack Young about some of his challenges in the near future. He will be having eye surgery on the 30th to deal with glaucoma in his left eye and also to remove a cataract. Then about 6 weeks later they will do the same procedure to his right eye. He has also been experiencing sensitivity to sunlight and it looks like the doxycycline he is taking is the culprit. Hopefully he will make it to the Zone but might not get to shoot. Also, found out Sunday that Roger Shaffer is having back surgery around the beginning of August. He has been having pain in his legs and hopefully the surgery will give him some much needed relief. I sure will be keeping these guys in my prayers and wish them both a speedy recovery.

CSL shot Saturday and Gorgeous George Brown won the singles with a 98. Jerry Kinlaw and Brian West tied with 95's for the handicap honors. Jerry had a 49x50 and missed the big pot by one target. No doubles were shot so the HOA was based on the 200 targets and Jerry Kinlaw posted 188x200 for HOA. Mac's wife prepared another delicious meal for all to enjoy and Coharie shoots next on August 9th.

Buckhorn shot Sunday and some great scores were posted. Gail Page broke her 1st 100 for the singles title. Don Kaufman broke the lone 96 for the caps win and Dan Johnson won the caps with a 93 and the HOA with a 281x300. They commenced to shoot Gails hat and even with all the lead flying through it she was still able to wear it. Hopefully someone got a picture for me to be able to post it. Buckhorn shoots on July 4th weekend and "might" expand the shoot to two days......If an additional day is added look for the info here and on trapshooters.com.

Two shoots coming up this Saturday and Watauga will be offering 400 targets for your shooting pleasure. 200/100/50pair will be hurled in the valley and that will give some hardy soul a chance to break 200 in God's country. I was there the day George Ponton broke a 100 straight in handicap and the day Bill Howe broke 100 straight in doubles. The walls are full of names of shooters that have posted perfect scores at Watauga. Registration will begin at 8:30 and shooting will commence at 9:30 if not sooner. That is a lot of shooting to pack into 1 day and the WGC staff will do their best barring issues with the traps.....Not sure what is for lunch but it is always country good. Weather looks like 30% chance of rain with winds at 10mph out of the North. Temps will be around 78.......78........78 degrees........can you say 78? :mrgreen:

Ft. Bragg will host their monthly trapshoot Saturday the 28th. As far as I know they will offer a typical 100/100/50pair program. Marty will get his shoot info posted and I wonder if he will have some of his famous ice cream? Ft. Bragg is a great place to shoot and watching the planes land can always be fun for sure. Our newly appointed NC State President Marty Hill is the master of ceremonies and puts on a great event. Looks like the weather will offer mid 90's temps with 30% chance of rain and there will be a breeze.

The Rockingham Gun Club hosted their Lewis Class Fun Shoot Sunday at 3pm. 12 shooters stepped to the line for some non-registered fun. All shooters shot two rounds of singles and their score dictated their handicap yardage for the caps event. Roger Shaffer broke the lone 49 and he shot on the 27. Lane broke a 48 and Tommy Brown a 47 so they shot on the 26. I wound up shooting from the 24 after breaking a 45 in singles along with JBird and three others. When the smoke cleared Tommy Brown was the hi-gun with a 91 with Lane and Scott Shoulars close behind with 89's. Then came the mid-lewis winners JC and Fredmon with 86's and last but not least David Slaydon won the low lewis.....Everybody had fun and we had two brand new shooters participating in the event.

That is about it for this smoke report and I hope you stay cool and dry this week in North Carolina. I have been super busy at work between mock evacuations and other law enforcement type things. Hello to Lou and until next week.....................................Sm :roll: okem

For the NC shoot calendar mash on the link from NCTRAP:
http://nctrap.com/shoots2014.pdf

For Southern Zone Shoot Info mash on the link below:
http://nctrap.com/sz_dates.htm

JBird Cutting Up At The Lewis Class Shoot:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/smokem/ ... e.mp4.html