June 16th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

June 16th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Coharie Shooting League years ago.........

A happy belated Father's Day to all of our father's out there. I hope your day was special with the loved ones. Weather was great and glad it was good for the US Open in Pinehurst. Not much going on over the weekend other that the Tennessee State Shoot and I have a little info from that event. Hard to believe that the NC State Shoot is over but it is and folks are looking forward to the Zone in about a month.

Two shoots this weekend with Coharie on Saturday and Buckhorn on Sunday!. Mac will serve up some great targets and some great lunch for the shooters attending. They have two PAT Traps and ERAD voice calls and you will have a great time believe me. Al Bost has cancelled the shoot at Old Hickory due to a 3-day Skeet shoot at the club this week/end. Also Al is on his way to Grand Isle Nebraska for the National 4H competition. His son Cole will be competing along with Carson Lane from Ahoskie and two fellows from McDowell County. Al was in Missouri at the motel when I called him Sunday night. Good luck to all of the competitors at the event and hopefully Al will update us on the NC participants.

UPDATE: :idea: Dan Johnson jiggled my brain to the fact that Buckhorn shoots Sunday the 22nd........Typical 300 target program and a great lunch.....Thanks Dan :D

Word off the hill is that Steve Watson broke a 197 Saturday at the TN State Shoot - he won Non-Resident A Singles - NR A Doubles - NR Handicap RU and NR HAA - Great shooting Sir..... I hope to have an up to date boots on the ground update. Also, Tom Shelley killed Tom Pitts on the race Sunday and Shelley also won the 50/50 at the car show for $873.80.......he must be living right or something. For you Facebook folks Tom Shelley took the cold water challenge and called out the Cartel.... Morg Shaw - Tom Pitts and BamBam all got the call. Tom Shelley took the cold water blast from a water tanker fire truck that dispensed a shower of water that was impressive. Shelley took that blast from above and didn't even yell or flinch and walked out like the Duke on a movie set......How bout it Cartel will you accept the cold water challenge for charity? :?:

I read a bit on Facebook about Leo Harrison turning 57 last week. Hard to believe he is gone so soon and so young. I also noticed a post from Elizabeth House about her father Doug House who was an ATA president and a resident of North Carolina. There are so many memories of trap shooters that have gone on. The list is too many to even begin to write down but here goes. Jim Brown - John Rowe - Jiggs Amstutz - Marvin Pullen - Ronnie McKnight - Doug Cooke - Hunter Galloway Jr - Jack King - Elmo Matkins - Joe Nimer - Buck Squires - Billy Ray Kallam - Glenn Miller - Herbert East - Ted Smith - P.E. "Pete Davis - and the list could go on and on. There is a ton of trapshooting history in NC that is for sure.

I took a great interest in the US Open this week. Very interesting to see the #2 course in the condition that it was restored to. Growing up going to the Pinehurst Gun Club I guess I sort of took it for granted and thought it would be around forever. That came to an end when #8 was built on top of the old gun club. Can you imagine PAT Traps and ERAD voice calls on that layout for those of you that remember that background? I really enjoyed that trip down 211 and the row of old growth pine trees that would flash rays of sun during sunrise and sunset. I would still like to know what happened to all of those pictures that hung in the hallway between the main area and the pro-shop.......

During the trip to the State Shoot JC mentioned that my right brake light was out. Saturday night I took the truck over to the Advance Auto Parts store to get a bulb. Walked in and told the fellow what I needed and he went right to the spot and laid it on the counter. I asked him what I would need to get to the lens to replace it and he said let's go take a look. It was simple - two screws and snap the old bulb out and the new bulb in. During that work we talked about why I was in Forest City and I gave him the scoop on the shoot. He didn't even realize that the gun club existed. I asked him if it was ok to give him $5 and he said no thanks because we were shooters and to keep my money. His name was Travis and if you need something auto part related while in Forest City go look him up......now that is customer service right there....

That is about it for now and I hope you have a great week with all of the heat predicted. I know it is summertime and all of that but I still like cooler temps. A big shout out to Lou down in sunny Florida and until next week..................................Smokem....... :mrgreen:

For the NC shoot calendar mash on the link from NCTRAP:
http://nctrap.com/shoots2014.pdf

For Southern Zone Shoot Info mash on the link below:
http://nctrap.com/sz_dates.htm