2012 Dixie Grand Info

Info about shoot dates and scores from around the nation.
smokem

2012 Dixie Grand Info

Post by smokem »

2012 Dixie Grand - Sunday
It is all over and the Dixie Grand Handicap Champ is Dale Gerlich from Elizabeth Illinois. I believe he is a SubJr and broke the 98 from the 25 yard line.
Runner-up went to Tony Machamer from Duncan Falls Ohio and he had the lone 97 of the day! 98 - 97 - and 96's got a punch and one 95 got a money punch! Veteran caps winner Michael Latocha from Pompey New York must have hit the jackpot with that 95.

Looking at HAA Harlan Campbell took the honors with a 394. SubJr Spencer Power from South Carolina took "D" HAA and he is from Aiken SC. Wall Chart maker Terry Jordan was the Vet HAA winner with a 382.

One eye shooting Ricky Marshall took HOA with a 973 out 1000. Terry Jordan shot well this week and also won Vet HOA with a 941xx1000.

The caps attendance was up from 2011 by about a dozen more shooters. Looking at the scores from our 13 NC shooters some had success and some will be going back to the drawing board.

The Southen Grand is in March and I know folks are looking for warmer weather and lighter winds. Hopefully we report on the SG unless I make it down there to participate.!

2012 Dixie Grand - Saturday
9:50AM - Saturday is here and it is 59 degrees with 95% humidity under overcast skies which looks like a repeat of Friday's weather. Bob Boswell won the singles in 2011 and who will be the BIG DOG today.
I won't be able to monitor the scores all day and we will take a look as soon as we get back from the club. 84 squads are signed up for today's event with over 400 stepping to the line in 2011. There are some carryovers from earlier singles events and we will comment on them also once they are settled.

7:45PM - All scores are in and Ricky Marshall and Harlan Campbell posted the lone 200's in the singles championship. It looks like Ricky won the shootoff and I have no details on the extra rounds.

Bob Boswell from Liliburn Georgia won the singles in 2011 and won AAA today with a 198. Richmond Hill GA shooter Billy Griffin won B class with a 196. VA shooter Bob Goodman won AA wiith a 197.

Michael Petrone from Calabash NC took C RU with a 194 and Charlie Brown took SrVet RU with a 197.

I took another look at the attendance and 413 shooters stepped to the line today! I am getting reports of windy overcast weather but that is typical for the Dixie believe it or not. Only one more event and who will be the Dixie Grand Handicap Champ. Will it be a BIG DOG or will it be a short yarder fresh after the ATA 2 yard reductions that were issued this month? As Colonel Klink used to say on Hogan's Heroes - Very Interesting:)

2012 Dixie Grand - Friday
11:00AM - 67 degress and 97% humidity under overcast skies greeted the shooters this morning for the Remington Nitro 27 Handicap at the Dixie Grand. 74 squads will take the line today with squad 45 on the ready at 11AM.
We have no report from the grounds yet but will probably hear from Jeff Galloway after he finishes the caps. 94 is the top score at the moment with Florida Jr Matt McBride and Aaron Schwartz sitting on top of the leader board.

Bob Goodman from VA took 5th place in the Lloyd C. Beecraft handicap Thursday and hats off to his performance. We will try to keep you posted throughout the day and will the top handicap score today only be a 97 only time and targets will tell. The Big Boys/Girls are going to be headed to the line shortly and who will emerge as the HiGun today?

1:30PM and a single 98 has emerged from the 75 squads for today's handicap event. New York shooter William Boldt broke his score from the 20.5 and Ohio shooter William Burdette broke his 97 from the 21 yard line.

Jeff Galloway called to say that the windy overcast conditions made the caps event a bit sporty to say the least. He shot 4 fields with high, low and assorted targets along the way. He anticipates that the doubles will be interesting with the windy conditions. There was only one perfect doubles score Thursday and will there be a perfect score today?

4:45PM - looks like Harlan Campbell posted the "lone" 100 today in the Doubles Class Championship at the Dixie. Big Leo posted a 99 which will take RU with Ricky Marshall winning AAA - NC shooter Bob Schultz took AA with a 98 and KY Jr shooter Jackson Eubanks took Jr with a solid 97. PA gunner Sheldon Hotsetter is at the top of SrVet with a solid 96 in cool and windy conditions. I will take a look for other info after the scores are posted from today's events.

6PM - Scores are up and final for the caps and the dubs for Friday. William Boldt's 98 did stand up and great shooting today! GA was represented with 5th place going to Richard Giffith from Covington with a 95 and 6th place won by Mike Schildgen from Atlanta also with a 95.

Some more doubles winners included Ralph Harrelson A RU with a 94 and GA shooter Bob Boswell secured the C Class honors with a 92. TN shooter Mallory Stanton took RU lady with Deborah Ohye winning the Lady doubles title.

2011 Attendance 360/276 - 2012 Attendance 291/276

2012 Dixie Grand - Thursday
11:00 AM - 65 squads are headed to the line this morning for the Lloyd C. Beecraft handicap. Squad 45 was on the ready about 11AM and the top scores at this time are 95's. The big boys normally squad a little later to allow the sun to get up a bit. SC shooter Ralph Harrelson was on the board with a 92 in the Vet category.Looks like another increase in entries over the 267 that stepped to the line in 2011. Check back a little later for more updates from the Dixie.......
1PM - two 98's on top of the board with Barb Hermes and Mitch Loveless breaking the top scores today. VA shooter Bob Goodman broke a 97 and Charlie Brown is tied for SrVet with a 94. SC SubJr Spencer Power is tied for SubJr with a 92.

Jeff Galloway broke and 89 and missed two on his last post. He said it was warm and almost muggy with brisk winds for the handicap event. He is looking forward to a good score in the doubles. He shot on bank 5 which is on the golf side in front of the clubhouse with Hunter shooting on bank 3 on the gun club side.

Doubles will field 48 squads this afternoon in windy conditions and will slim the chances of 100's being broken. Of course some of the best shooters in the country are shooting at the Dixie.

3:25PM - Looks like Richard Marshall broke the only 100 in the Class Championship Doubles. Big Leo had a 99 and then a slew of 97's. Charlie Brown broke a 96 and is tied for SrVet at this time. Jeff said it was windy on bank four and after a dismal 44 on his first box he came back strong with a 47.

4:30PM - Scores are in with some carryovers in the doubles. Barb Hermes won the caps with Mitch runner-up. Richard Marshall (one-eyed shooter) broke the lone 100 out of 231 doubles shooters with Big Leo the AAA winner. Charlie Brown took RU in the SrVet doubles and Spencer Power from SC took SubJr RU in the caps event!

2011 Attendance 267/223 - 2012 Attendance 291/231

2012 Dixie Grand - Wednesday
It is about 73 degrees at the Silver Dollar this morning and the Galloway's were near Columbia South Carolina around 9AM. It looks like 65 squads are preparing to shoot the Class Singles and that looks like a good start for the day.
I took a look at the attendance for Monday in 2011 and 2012 and the same number registered both years. So that isn't an increase or a decrease and that might be a good sign. Looking at Tuesday the Dixie was up 170 entries over 2011 and that is quite a jump. I will be posting the attendance at the bottom of each days recap.

2:35 PM - looks like a few NC shooters got on the board in the singles. Bob Schultz - Michael Petrone - Marty Wood showed up on the board along with SC SubJr Spencer Power and Florida shooter Van Seagraves. I met Van at the SC State shoot in 2011 and he is quite a shot. I also noticed that Gloria Wood is at the Dixie and we shot with her in Bradford PA last July.

The Galloway's just crossed into Florida and it was 72 degrees at the border. 60 squads will go to the line for the handicap and that looks like an increase over last years entry tally. Check back later for more info as the scores trickle in...

3:40PM - Three 98's on the board with Steve Hawkins from VA on the 24 yard line, John Helm and BIG LEO at the top. There are a slew of 97's and will a 99 come in today? Bill Howe is on the board with a 92 and Billy Griffin (GA) with a 93. Probably only the 98's - 96's will get a punch today but it may go deeper than that.

4:45PM - the 99 finally came in from the legend Larry Bumstead shooting from the 25.5. 45 squads are preparing to shoot the doubles at this time with squad 20 on the ready.

10PM - The smoke has cleared for the day and it looks like the 99 was the top score in the caps. Charlie Brown won SrVet RU in the Richard Marshall doubles today with a 96. The Galloway's got to Florida in one piece and ate at Rusty Belly's tonight. They got to see Richard Marshall and he was putting on the feedbag. Only 200 targets will be thrown on Thursday with 100 caps and 50 pair of doubles. I really wish I was down there without a doubt.

2011 Attendance 253/241/168 - 2012 Attendance 324/282/200

2012 Dixie Grand - Tuesday
Beautiful weather at the Dixie Grand today with temps in the mid 80's. Quite a few 100's in the Bob Boswell singles this morning with Steve Hawkins from VA posting one of the perfect scores. About 40 squads stepped to the line for the singles this AM.
44 squads in event #5 Preliminary Handicap with GA shooter John Granacki at the top of the leader board with a 97. There is a lady shooter with a 97 also when posted about 2:24PM today. Charlie Brown and Tom Wilkinson had 92's and that was about all the NC folks I noticed in the caps event.

3:37PM - Big Leo has entered the building and posted a 98 on top of a couple of 97's. The doubles squads are on deck so I got a feeling Big Leo won the handicap if I was a betting man.

8:39PM - I took a look at the site and it looks like Tom Wilkinson won Event 1 AA Singles after a carryover Tuesday. Charlie Brown won SrVet Doubles with a 94 accordiing to the site. GA shooter John Granacki broke a 97 in the caps and was shooting off under the lights.

10:34 - Not much to update but it looks like GA shooter John Granacki lost the shootoff and got 3rd place - that is great shooting my friend. He commented that it was dark but he still broke a 22 in the extra round.

2011 Attendance 160/139/89 2012 - Attendance 207/205/146

2012 Dixie Grand - Monday
Results are being posted at www.rjstuart.com and it looks like NC shooters are already on the board. Charlie Brown, Bill Howe and Billy Thigpen are showing on the leader board with 30 singles squads shooting this morning.
Looks like a 98 is high with a patch of 97's that include Charlie Brown shooting from the 25 yard line. It looks like Tom Wilkinson is also at the Dixie and on the leaderboard at this time. 36 squads stepped to the line for the Prelim Hdcp event today.

It looks like the clubhouse camera is working and I spotted two NC boys - Bill Howe and Billy Thigpen. I left Bill a message and he called back to say that the weather is great and temps might reach the 80's. They were on there way to shoot the doubles and I told him to keep his head down and keep swinging!

Day 1 is over at the Dixie Grand and Charlie Brown won the SrVet in handicap and doubles today with a 97 in each event. He also got back a yard and is on the 26 for Tuesday's events.

2011 Attendance 168/165/124 - 2012 Attendance 168/165/124