ATA Headquarters & HOF Moving To Sparta

Info about shoot dates and scores from around the nation.
smokem

ATA Headquarters & HOF Moving To Sparta

Post by smokem »

Not sure of who originated the letter at this time. It was copied from trapshooters.com 1/12/2012 @ 9:27PM

Subject: ATA& Hall of Fame moving to Sparta
Email:
Date: Thu, Jan 12, 2012 - 06:43 PM ET
Website Address:

Here you go Joe.......

Subject: ATA Info. Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 19:53:19 -0500

SZ Delegates,

First let me say that I have heard that Jim Faber is in the hospital with pneumonia so I am hoping he gets to feeling better soon. I hope everyone else is doing OK. Jackie and I doing OK. We are at the Silver Dollar hanging out and getting things ready for the Dixie Grand.

I have a question for you about our handicap reduction trigger point. We have a trigger point of 89 for reductions. The other zones have raised theirs to allow more people to be eligible for reductions. I am in favor of changing it to 90 but wanted to get your opinions before making the change – it is not something we have ever talked about. Please let me know.

On the ATA front, Rob Taylor (chair of the personnel committee) went to Vandalia today and introduced our new Executive Director, Lynn Gipson, to the Vandalia staff. It was explained that the absence of an Executive Director in the past necessitated Executive Committee members performing some of the ED’s tasks and giving staff direction. This will now go through the Executive Director. EC members will get in touch with Lynn rather than directly with staff members for issue resolution and assistance. In the same regard, staff members were encouraged to seek guidance and direction from the Executive Director rather than members of the EC from this point forward. I know the EC has been micro-managing the office and that is changing. FYI, if you have questions for Lynn his current contact information is: Lynn Gipson 6420 NE 176th Street, Smithville, Missouri 64089, cell - 816-289-2150 kctalag@yahoo.com He will soon be working at the Vandalia office and contact info for there is on the ATA web site.

The most important part of the meeting was that the staff were told that moving the office and all ATA assets to the Sparta area will be one of Lynn’s first priorities. No schedule has been established but it will sooner rather than later. It was explained that all employees are welcome and encouraged to continue their employment with the ATA in Sparta at the same pay and benefit level. Each staff member will be offered a bonus of $2,000 (less payroll taxes) if they stay until the last day of operations in Vandalia. This is viewed as an appreciation bonus and could be used to defray moving expenses for those who decide to continue their ATA employment in Sparta.

It was explained that office location options are being narrowed down in Sparta. It should be noted that there are good reasonably priced spaces in Sparta for sale and for rent. The ATA is pursuing temporary rental locations because any permanent real property purchases will be evaluated by the real property committee with final decision by the Delegates. It is expected that there should be some alternatives available for discussion at the 2012 Grand for permanent locations on and off of the WSRC property.

The employees seemed to be relieved to hear the information directly from Rob and Lynn. Apparently they have been hearing rumors of moving to Sparta for years and were glad that they were told first. I don’t know how many will go to Sparta but I would think that some may be able to work remotely from home. I think ECs have been planning to move the office since Duncan was President but timing wasn’t right.

Some of the reasons for moving now are:

1. The ATA offices and Hall of Fame should be at or near the location of the Grand American. The ATA offices will move first followed sometime later by the Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame has sent the ATA a letter of intent to work together and share costs to build/buy a common structure that we both could us, as in Vandalia.

2. Savings – operating the office in Vandalia costs nearly $80k per year. Costs in Sparta will be at least 20% less per year and probably much lower than that. In fact a very recent proposal from the new IDNR Director includes free rent and utilities for ATA office space at the WSRC – on a temporary basis.

3. We are facing expensive repair/replacement of the Vandalia Commercial HVAC system.

4. The City of Dayton has just informed us that we have to be moved out of the maintenance building by this April, they plan to demolish the building.

5. The lead cleanup is complete and we have received most of our money – we needed to be in Vandalia to coordinate that effort.

6. Our Vandalia lease has a few years left but there is no provision to renew.

7. The City of Sparta wants the ATA National Headquarters. This will be used to our advantage in tax abatements or similar savings.

8. Eliminates duplication of responsibilities between ATA office and Grand American personnel.

I have been talking with Fred and he pretty much has planning for our zone shoot under control and has been working with trophy vendors etc. We will send additional zone shoot details and info to each of you before the shoot.

If you have any questions, please give me a call or email.

Thanks for all that you do,