March 11th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

March 11th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Hello and I hope you are enjoying the time change like most folks are or are not. Great to have a little more time to get out and do things with the sun shining. Not shooting action over the weekend but the Southern Grand cranked up Sunday and there are two registered shooting events this weekend.

Hopefully your NCHOF program showed up in the mail last week. It explains the setup for the event to be held along with the SC State Shoot. Bob Goodman and Greg High will be inducted into the North Carolina Hall of Fame at the banquet on Saturday night.

Saturday March 16th the Charlie Brown Gun Club will host a BIG 50 at their club. Always a good time at that location and the weather looks good. Sunday the Buckhorn Gun Club hosts their monthly 300 target program shoot. Always a good lunch and good targets at BGC.

The Southern Grand cranked up Sunday and the wind was howling. It must be rough when not one 100 straight was broken with all the hot shots in Odessa. A lone 95 won the handicap from the 22.5 and his name is Brandon Stahl from PA. The Southern Grand started early this year because they can only shoot two events per day because they cannot shoot off in the evenings. So, it is 200 targets a day and the pending shoot offs for specific events that are not carried over. 5 NC shooters have signed up and I know of at least three of them including the Galloways and Tiffany Decker. The weather is looking great all week with a possibility of rain on Wednesday and the winds will be winding down somewhat. Good luck to all the participants and we will have an update next week.

John Sandell has been busy on his southern Vaca. They were shooting sporting clays at Teneroc and he set 5 cows a running after a shot at a rabbit. They were hidden under a weeping willow until they got startled and took off. John and his wife Grace visited the Silver Dollar and had lunch with the one and only Nora Ross who is not shooting but is booked into 2026 teaching trap clinics. They took in a Tigers game and a Cape Canaveral tour. You must admit they are making the best of their trip to Florida. Hopefully they will make it through NC sometime so we can meet up and chat a bit.

If you are interested in shooting BIG50’s during the week on a Wednesday, the Buckhorn GC will crank it up the 20th of March. April 10th, May 22nd, and June 26th are the next midweek BIG50 dates. These shoots are popular and a great break in the week. Allan Davis, Chris Powell and Eric Sherer are organizing these shoots and thanks for putting them on.

The Rockingham Gun Club hosted an intro to trapshooting clinic Saturday and 9 folks showed up for some basic instruction. One of the most important things is learning how to safely operate that PAT trap. Hopefully some of these folks will show up to participate in the BIG50 events.

Harlan Campbell will be conducting clinics at RCGC including 2-day blocks and also private instruction. This will take place over two different weekends, and we are glad he could make it to North Carolina. I believe all spots are filled but if you are interested email me at fcr7@yahoo.com

That is about it for this week, and I am going to try to make it down to Charlie Browns next Saturday. It has been quite some time since I shot there. Big shout out to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, Mac, John, Will, Thea and Anne and until next week………smokem