February 27th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

February 27th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

I hope everyone had a great weekend! Weather was good and bad and hey it is February what do we expect? I read that the WVA ski resort Silver Creek stopped operation Sunday and what a miserable ski season for WVA with very little natural snow. One real problem with a mild winter is the tiger mosquitoes are going to be terrible this year much less our little friend the tick. Does anyone remember the year the little black bugs descended on the NC Homegrounds?

One shoot over the weekend and it happened at the Buccaneer Gun Club in Wilmington. I do not have a shoot report at this time and hopefully will have a report next Monday. Hopefully they can work something out for future shoots at BGC. That is an important club to trapshooting considering location. I mean where can a shooter in Eastern NC shoot registered targets. There is CCLEOA near Morehead City and the Gun Club in Aynor SC. Nathan Snyder did tell me that SC shooter George Powell showed up and shot really well and glad to see him out and about after his wife’s illness. I am believing that we haven’t seen the last of registered shoots at Buccaneer. Here is an idea that maybe we can collectively work together to bring one of my favorite clubs back online? And that club would be the true honey hole for learning how to shoot competitive trap in North Carolina. That club would be……..CSL the Coharie Shooting League. BIG50 format initially because if you had a shoot at CSL you would have a crowd……Just thinking out loud…….you can dream can’t you?

Several events this weekend with one event in South Carolina and one in North Carolina. Spartanburg shoots Saturday and if the weather holds up it looks like 63 degrees and nice weather. Always a good time at SGC and Tammie does a great job, and they usually have a crowd. Sunday the Watauga Gun Club shoots their bi-monthly BIG50 shoot and man they have been putting up some solid scores at WGC. It looks like mid 40’s for temp but the weather looks good. Will Price was the HOA winner the last time out and the Tollison crew and Shawn Reese will give him all he can handle…..

Prayer list includes Ken Duncan, Dave Shaeffer, Tom Pitts, Tommy Brown, Andy Ledford, Dianne Bolling and Darvin Cornett. Keep these folks in your prayers and drop them a card or something to let them know you are thinking about them.

I was going through some items here in the office and ran across a thank you card from Alabama shooter Jesse Burgher. The first time we met we were at the South Carolina State Shoot, and he was looking for a good parking spot for the shoot. Normally I ride to Spartanburg a week early to layout a 10’x30’ spot for our 10x10 tents. Anyway, we slid him into the floorplan and have been friends ever since. He is a great shot, and he is a lot of fun to be around that is for sure. He is planning to run up to NC for the Hall of Fame shoot in April and it will be great to see him. He has been tuning in a Kolar and trying to figure out the tubes on his over/under. Hopefully he will get the hangar configuration solved and be on his way to AA27AA……

Spent a little time texting with the “Phenom” Steve Watson and it is always great to hear from him. I cannot confirm that he will be out and about shooting this year, but I would imagine he will be loaded for bear when he does. I have always enjoyed watching John Waters, Steve, Tom Shelley and Tom Pitts shoot together. They have shot with different folks including BamBam, Jason Dancy, Morg Shaw and others but those four alone can roll up some targets.

Former North Carolina shooter John Sandell is enjoying his vacation at the Ocean Lakes Campground in Myrtle Beach South Carolina. He made it out to Back Woods Quail Club to shoot some sporting clays and had a great time. He hopes to meet up with Dave Daily and shoot at the gun club in Aynor South Carolina. They have a monthly registered shoot this Saturday and Rodney Raines might even be there.

I talked to Ronnie Manuel last week and he is in the process of working on his trusty Remington 1100 Competition and getting back on the line. He is looking for a motorized cart but not a golf cart that he can use to get him and his gear to the line. If you know of anyone that might have a used one, please let him know. He will need one with a little bigger wheel than the ones that are used on solid surfaces.

OK that is a wrap for this week, and it is back to warm weather like it or not. Some of our biggest snow totals have come in March so hang on. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, Thea and Anne and until next week………….smokem