October 24th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

October 24th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Another great weather weekend in North Carolina and several clubs shot last week. We have reports from Ft. Bragg and Watauga and Buccaneer will post later this week. With temps dipping near freezing shooting early can be a little nippy.

Ft. Bragg hosted a BIG50 shoot Saturday and 14 folks showed up. Allan Davis was high in singles with a 49, Thom Thomsen was high in caps with a 45 and Joe Nalley won the dubs with a 44 and HOA with 133 out of 150. Mark your calendars for November 19th for a typical 300 target program at Ft. Bragg.

2023 dates have been published for the three shoots at the NC Homegrounds. Hall of Fame April 20-23, NC State June 7-11, Dixie Grand September 26 – October 1st. Nobody will be inducted into the HOF and the Zone shoot will not be held at the HG in 2023.

Watauga Gun Club hosted their annual Chicken Wing Fling Saturday and 21 showed up for the event. Will Price broke a 98 to lead all singles shooters. Shawn Reese won the caps with a 91, doubles with a 92 and the HOA with a 280. Blue Ridge Claybreakers own Eli Rash shooting in his first handicap event ever broke a 92 and got a punch for his efforts.

Over the years I have seen many a trapshooter come and go and some we really hate to see go. This info was written up by former trapshooter Dan Johnson explaining what he has been doing since he quit shooting trap.

Since I’m not shooting anymore I’ve focused on my golf game.
Spent the first 4 days this week on Hilton Head Island playing 5 rounds of golf on some fantastic courses.
Monday was 36 holes of North Carolina vs Louisiana in a Ryder Cup format. My partner and I lost the 1st 9 hole best ball event, then came back strong to win the back 9 alternate shot segment.
We then went to an 18 hole singles match. I found the groove and prevailed 6 and 5 over my opponent.
Tuesday was 18 holes of skins with 128 players having at it. I managed to birdie the tough par 4 17th at Arthur Hills Palmetto Hall GC that stood up for a $250 skin
Wednesday and Thursday were the Golfweek Senior Championship rounds at Arthur Hills Palmetto Dunes and Dolphin Head courses.
Temperatures were low 40s both mornings with an 8:30 shotgun start and I struggled on the front 9 both days then finishing strong on the back side after it warmed up.
Lesson learned. Plenty of cold weather gear at home in the closet…….better to have it with and not need it, then need it and…….
Managed a tie for 13th in my flight out of 128.
Looking forward to next season and a return trip to the beautiful South Carolina Low Country.

Spartanburg hosted a 300 target doubles event the 22nd. Not sure how that slipped by me, but it did. 19/21/20 competed in the three events with Lee Perry winning the first 100(91), Kevin Stephens the 2nd 100(95) and David Smiley winning the third 100(95). Kevin won the HOA with a 279x300. FYI Tammie Wilkins underwent hip surgery a month back or so and seems to to be doing well. She is a very important person at the SGC and I know she is anxious to get out back doing what she does!

Ok that is about it for this week and I hope everyone has a great week. Looks a little moist this weekend and CCLEOA shoots their BIG50 this Friday………Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, Thea and Anne and until next week………smokem