August 29th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

August 29th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

I hope everyone had a great weekend and looking forward to the Labor Day holiday. Several shoots last week including CCLEOA’s first BIG50, Buccaneer and Watauga. Coming up this week is a BIG50 at the Rockingham County Gun Club Tuesday and Buckhorn’s two day shoot the 3rd & 4th.

The Craven County Law Enforcement Officer’s Association held their first BIG50 last Friday and had 6 shooters. 4 CCLEOA members and two visitors from Jacksonville (Bob M shot singles/handicap and doubles. Looks like Billy Soper was on fire and won all three events and the HOA. His 48/42/44 was high and that is some great shooting. Ric Evans supplied me with the shoot info he is recovering from surgery so keep him in your prayers. Their next BIG50 is Friday September the 9th.

Watauga shot Saturday and they had a crowd show up 43/29/20. North Carolina Trapshooting Association Vice-President Joe Nalley won the singles with a 99. John Waters won the handicap with a 93 and Caleb Mathis won the doubles with a 95 and the HOA. Hats off to all the folks that worked and didn’t get to shoot but somebody must work. Oh, the buddy shoot was won by Gracie Marshall and Connor Mathis to the tune of $150…..great shooting for sure. Oh I forgot that Tom Pitts broke a few more birds than Tom Shelley in singles just for the record……

Rockingham shoots a BIG50 Tuesday, and you just never know who will show up at a BIG50. We have had as little a 3 and as many as 13. If we have 15, we will be offering added $$ to the winners of each event and the HOA. So, take off work and head on up. Our BIGDOG pot has been won by some great scores so bring your “A” game…..

Buckhorn hosts a two day shoot this weekend. I chatted with Jimmy Wilson Sunday night, and he will announce the program by Monday night. Unknown to me at the time but Jimmy Wilson is just 200 targets away from 100,000 singles and that is quite a milestone! I remember and might even have some pictures of previous milestones like 50,000 but I don’t remember being around for the 75K. Weather is typical August temps and % of rain but no 100% washout. They always have a great shoot and even better lunches with sweets prepared by Karole “Cupcake” Miller….Heck even Dan Johnson might show up you never know……

Watauga attracted some fellows that I have not seen I quite a while. Charlie Keiger and Crews Walden came out to play and it was great to see them on the line. Not sure how many years it has been, but it was sure good to see them. Crews has moved to Savannah Georgia, and I hate I didn’t get to say goodbye Crews I had no idea you were leaving when you walked by me……….

The Dixie Grand is looming on the horizon and Marty Hill is classifying shooters prior to the event. So, if you plan to attend email or text Marty and he will take care of it prior to your arrival at the Homegrounds. His email address is mhill76@aol.com and tell him Freddy sent you. Also, you can pre-squad for the shoot and that will save you a lot of time checking in and cashiering.

Rockingham County Gun Club traps 4-5-6 are ready to have the doors and roof replaced and a fresh coat of paint before work starts on traps 1-2-3. All traps will be cleaned out and hopefully wood platforms built to aid in placing targets in the carousel. Even though we have ERADS the Canterbury systems will be tested and updated to be used in case of rainy weather. We are hoping to order Shamrock leather trophies for our October National Trapshooting Day but if traps 1-2-3 are not done it would be hard to run the shoot on three traps even in the BIG50 format.

Ok that is about it for now and I hope everyone has a great week. Oh, Happy Birthday to Jeff Galloway that celebrated a birthday on August 26th. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Thea and Anne and until next week…………smokem