August 22nd Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

August 22nd Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

I hope everyone had a great week and with school going back the trip to work might be delayed by those fast moving school busses. Several shoots over the weekend to discuss and several shoots coming up this week.

I created the smoke report years ago to report upcoming shoots and shoot scores and unfortunately shooter obituaries. Jimmy Wilson informed me that Bob McKinney passed away last week. He was very involved in trapshooting in NC and had a place on the lake at the Silver Dollar Gun Club in Odessa Florida. Please remember Doug and Kim and the family in prayer at this time.

Along those lines West Virginia clay target shooter Makayla Scott is recovering at home after hip surgery. Makayla has had several operations over the last year or so and hopefully after her recovery she can get back to shooting. Makayla and her father Telford have taken their little trap from the Greenbrier, and it has evolved into a skeet and trap field and a 5-stand layout. Lovingly referred to as the “Field of Dreams” it has been sponsored by MEC, CZ and other local business owners to provide an excellent environment for youth shooters. They hope to get their trap field certified so that they can host ATA registered shoots and possibly BIG50’s to start with. Please remember her in your prayers during this recovery time.

The Charlie Brown Gun Club hosted quite a few shoots over the years and just recently started offering BIG50 shoots held on Saturday. 18/17/13 shot the singles, handicap and doubles and the winner of all events was none other than Clay Floyd from Portsmouth VA. He broke 50/49/49 to win the HOA with 148…. Would say that is some great shooting but what do you expect from a AAA27AAA trap shooter? Megan Smith even rolled off the mountain to shoot and I guess she will be headed back to App State to go to college Monday. The crew from Mid-Carolina Clay Busters also showed up to shoot and from the pictures I viewed it looks like a few took some trophies home. Marty mentioned that he does not know if Charlie will host any more events this year but we will let you know if he does.

Sunday Old Hickory at Rocky Mount hosted a typical 300 target program shoot and the rain held off except for a few sprinkles between caps and dubs. Joel Schram won the singles with a 99 and the doubles with an 89. Allan Davis wanted to get some yardage so he could shoot with Megan Smith according to Marty Hill. Well, his wish came true and he broke a 98 to win the handicap. He also won the HOA with a 278. Marty wanted to thank everyone for scoring, loading and lunch being provided. It takes a team to run a trapshoot and giving props never hurts.

Watauga hosts a typical 300 target program this Saturday. If you have never been to the Watauga Gun Club, you need to make the trip. Morg and the crew will roll out the red carpet. Weather is looking typical mid 70’s with %40 chance of rain which means %60 chance it won’t rain.

Two BIG50’s with one published for Friday the 26th which is a Friday. Craven County Law Enforcement Officers Association will be hosting a BIG50. I have reached out to the fellow running the event to get some details on the event. Not sure of start time or how many traps but from the pictures they do have voice calls. His email info is ric.evans1111@gmail.com

The Buccaneer Gun Club will host a monthly BIG50 Saturday the 27th. Pat Childers has put that club on the map with registered ATA events. They have turnouts more than 30 shooters at times and that is great. I guess it begs the question are BIG50 format shoots the wave of the future?

So, shells what about shells? On Facebook the other day Remington posted a video of 410 shells being manufactured. One fellow posted a question about the availability of 12-gauge target shotgun shells. The Remington admin responded to check out their website and I did. Remington Gun Clubs $12 a box and that doesn’t include tax and shipping and handling. Does that mean their premium shells with sell for $15-20 a box? I did hear that a Wal-Mart in Roxboro had a good supply of target shotgun shells with a 100-round sleeve of Nitro’s going for $52 which is cheaper than Gun Clubs on the Remington site. I guess the future of trapshooting rests in the desire for people to shoot competitively at any cost.

Also just recently a Facebook poster commented about all (not a huge group) of the trap shooters that are being sponsored by shell, gun, stock, recoil pads, choke, glasses, gun shops etc.. The question of why the “industry” class was done away with and how “pro-class” shooters compete against amateur trap shooters and how can that be fair? I will cut and paste the entire discussion because it was explained much better than I am right now.

I looked back a year ago at the smoke report I wrote about this time last year. Some might remember that a Tropical Storm named Fred slid through the NC mountains and created a lot of issues. It created some issues for the Watauga Gun Club and thank goodness no tropical depressions this weekend.

Ok folks that is about it for this week and it looks a little soggy all week. I am hoping to do a little small mouth bass fishing on the new river Friday and then take a trip to Boone to shoot at the Watauga GC. Hopefully those plans will hold up, but things can change quickly. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Thea and a new grandboy baby for EZ-Go Anne……congrats and until next week………smokem