August 15th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

August 15th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

August 15th is here, and I hope everyone had a great weekend. One shoot in North Carolina over the weekend at Durham County and three events in NC this week. The Grand American is over and NC shooters did well and brought back a few trophies.

Durham County shot Saturday and Scarlett tried to post the report and hopefully we will have the info soon. Tuesday Rockingham County will shoot a BIG50 starting at 9AM. Saturday Charlie Brown Gun Club will host a BIG50 and Sunday Old Hickory at Rocky Mount will host a typical 300 target program.

I scoured all the scores from the Grand and found some NC shooters in the winner’s circle. The first Tarheel to strike paydirt was none other than Dennis Taylor. He broke a 96 in event 6 Precision Fit Stock Doubles and took “D” Class Runner-Up. Next in the cue was relatively new shooter Tim Davis with a 96 in event number 16 President Darryl Hayes Handicap 19-20.5 Champ. Not to be outdone his traveling companion Mark Cox broke a 96 to win 21-22.5 Runner-Up in the same event! Event 19 found Kenny Cox the Sub-Vet Runner-Up winner with a 98 in the Challenger Ammo Handicap. Last but not least Grand Andy Clayton broke a 197 in the ATA World Clay Target Championship and won “C” Class 4th. Now there are more things to be settled like the HOA and HAA and of course the Grand American Handicap being shot today. I just wanted to get ahead of it before my smoke report for Monday. Fingers crossed more NC shooters will bring home more trophies before all is said and done. Big shout out to folks that were 1 bird away from trophies including Jeff Galloway, Marty Hill and Greg High and there might be more……..

Now for the winners of the main events which include singles, doubles, handicap, HOA and HAA. In event 21 ATA World Clay Target Championship by Browning. Canadian Pat Lamont broke 200 and not sure how many extra to secure the win. In event 22 ATA World Doubles Championship by Kolar Matthew Bartholow broke 100 with extra rounds to secure the win. In event 24 Fiocchi Grand American Handicap Sub Junior Jaryt Hess broke a 100 to tie another 100 broken by a junior shooter. HOA was won by Pat Lamont with 991x1000 and Grant Williams won HAA with 398x400. All scores can be found at http://www.shootata.com

I talked to several folks that traveled to the Grand and most said they had a wonderful time. I called Alabama shooter Jesse Burger and found out his father passed during the Grand and please keep his family in your prayers. He was able to attend the Grand and funeral arrangements will occur after Jesse gets back home from Sparta.

I heard from John Sandell last week and he commented that he wished Massachusetts had something like this website for trapshooting info. With http://www.nctrap.com http://www.tarheeltrap.com and TarHeelTrap on Facebook North Carolina trapshooting info can readily be found. John was instrumental in the BIG50’s that were held at the Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club back few years ago. Thanks for reading John and keep us posted please…..

I checked out the Wal-Mart in Myrtle Beach and Laurinburg looking for target shotgun shells. MB had none and Laurinburg had AA light target and some silver bullets coming in about $13 a box. $52 for four boxes of shells when a flat used to go for $52. The Grand opened the shell house to drain down their inventory but were limiting purchases to 5 flats. They said the line was like waiting for a ride at Disney.

Work has started at the Rockingham County Gun Club on trap renovations. 4-5-6 will be done first with waterproofing, retaining walls, steps, new doors, new roof and of course painting. Once they are finished 1-2-3 will be done. Hopefully we can get these finished before the National Trapshooting Day/Month in October. After the line is completed, the concrete pads will be resurfaced and permanently marked and then the trap clubhouse will be rebuilt. Ton of stuff going on and looking forward to all projects being completed.

That is about it for this week, and I am sure looking forward to cooler weather. Just another reminder to renew your ATA membership for next year. If 65 or over consider the $250 life membership…..Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Thea and Anne and until next week………smokem