June 6th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

June 6th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Another great weather weekend in North Carolina and I hope you got out to enjoy it. Not much happening last week other than a BIG50 at Rockingham. Of course, all eyes are on the upcoming 109th Annual North Carolina State Shoot in Bostic.

A few folks came out Thursday to shoot a BIG50 at the Rockingham County Gun Club. Mark Spoon and Ed Gideon tied with 49’s I singles. Mark Spoon and James Brown tied with 45’s in handicap and Brian Pilcher won the doubles with a 43. Mark Spoon won the money with a 94 and won the last BIG50 with a 96. Next BIG50 will be June 16th.

Folks are preparing the NC Homegrounds for the state shoot. Greg High was involved in spray painting the trap houses and there are pictures of him covered in green paint from almost head to toe. Targets must be loaded, and trophies unpacked and of course fixing a forklift to top all that off. For those that run trap shoots it is a true labor of love to get it all done before the paying customers toe that line. Sort of like church 10% doing 90% of the work.

Sadly, the trend is state shoots and satellite grands is a drop in attendance. Could it be the high gas prices or the shell shortage I guess we will never know? It has been reported that the US Open attendance was up like %22 and that is great and hopefully that trend will continue. Hopefully our state shoots numbers will be up and that would be a good thing.

Sad news to report and it is that Shane Naylor’s 16-year-old son passed away. Drake Naylor passed away yesterday, and the entire shooting community is shocked by his passing. Trish had been reporting on his recent complications and I had no idea he was in that serious of a condition. A celebration of his life will be held Sunday June 6th at 6:30PM. Our prayers are with the family at this time and hopefully some of you will be able to attend.

Marty Hill wants you to be sure to have your ATA membership card if you want to vote in the NCTA elections. I mean you should always have your up-to-date ATA card but just a reminder for sure. If you have pre-squadded and Marty has classified, you just head to the cashier and pay the ladies.

I have been keeping a watch on the Alabama State Shoot since Jim Hughes was attending. Some great scores were being broken and I noticed Jim was shooting pretty good. Marty Hill reported that Jim broke a 96 today in the handicap from the 26.5 and got his punch back to the 27. An Alabama Junior Sheldon Crosswhite broke the lone 100 straight to win the event and Junior Gold Hidalgo Rangel from Florida broke a 97 with Jim’s 96 the third highest handicap score and his from the 26.5-yard line.

Ok that is about it for this week. Weather looks good for the state shoot with a little weather over the weekend and cooler temps. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Thea and EZ-GO Anne and until next week…………smokem