February 7th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

February 7th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Hello and I cannot believe we had a weekend without sleet or snow. It was super cold Saturday with that wind, but Sunday was much better. I hear folks got out to practice Sunday and that is great if you can catch the weather just right.

Morgan Shaw let me know that John Waters mom passed on the 29th and please keep his family in your prayers. John Waters is the fellow that got Bob Keever interested in trapshooting many years ago. Bob was instrumental in overseeing the building of the NC Homegrounds and his son was an Olympic shooter while in the military. It is all like a big family really……..

I took a trip to the Alamance Wildlife Club Saturday to see my granddaughter shoot in a 4H scrimmage. It was cold and windy and so windy it blew the board structure they used to hang targets for the 22 event. They started shooting 22 at 8:30 and it was about 30 degrees. The shotgun event was interesting with the wind really moving the all-orange, white flyers around. That was the first time I got to look at targets since my cataract surgery and I really liked how I can see those targets. Bill Allbright rode down to the club to see me, and it was great to finally meet him. He has shot a lot of trap and birds in his lifetime. Taylor has a regional 4H event next weekend and I will be riding down to see that event also.

So, it looks like I will be involved in running a BIG50 at the Rockingham County Gun Club this Thursday the 10th. I kept saying we were going to do it and I guess it is finally going to happen. The weather is looking good with 56 degrees and the wind has bumped up a little with a 5% chance of rain. 11 to register and noon to shoot unless we have a squad ready to go. Right now, it looks like about 15 shooters and heck it might be more. Folks that practice might as well register them and get them in the books. Did you know that if you break a 50 straight in a BIG50 in caps you get a ½ yard regardless of how many people are in attendance……our next BIG50 is the 24th and if these two events take off we will schedule two for March.

Not heard much about shells here lately and not looking for shells to tell you the truth. I did hear that a local supplier is selling shot for $51 a bag and a friend of mine in PA says it is selling for $60 in the Bradford area. Also, Cheddite primers are going for $53.75 for 1000 primers and Win 209 for $57.80……Man it is getting expensive to load these days. I priced an 8-pound jug of Red Dot and looks like $228.19 before tax and hazmat charges.

Ok that is about it and it looks like Monday morning might be a little slick so be careful out there. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Thea and Anne and until next week………smokem