Pix By Jeff Galloway From The 2011 Grand American

Info about shoot dates and scores from around the nation.
smokem

Pix By Jeff Galloway From The 2011 Grand American

Post by smokem »

Jeff Galloway is taking pictures from the 2011 Grand American in Sparta Illinois. I believe he has posted about 100 pictures of the grounds and pix of some of the trapfields at the complex. He is going to be there for the entirety and we hope he keeps on snapping pictures.

He is using my photobucket account and they can be found under "Grand American 2011" if you use the link off of NCTRAP.com..

Thanks Jeff

Mash on the link below: New pictures are up as of 8/9/2011

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/ ... =slideshow
Last edited by smokem on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
smokem

Billy Thigpen and Bill Howe On TV At The Grand

Post by smokem »

Joe Potosky posted a video link discussing the impact that heat had on the Grand American. The clip shows Billy Thigpen and Bill Howe shooting at the end of the video....

Mash on the link below:

Website Address: http://www.kfvs12.com/story/15205056/he ... ampionship
smokem

Grand American Observations Info For Wed/Thurs

Post by smokem »

Two days are in the books and the scores are out of site. The "D" Class winner in the singles Monday won with a 98 and the runner-ups broke 97's.

Wednesday there were two 99's at the top of the caps and a ton of 98's - 96's...

Thursday was much of the same with tons of 100's in the singles - a lone 100 in the caps and Jeff Galloway broke a 99 in the doubles and we pray he wins the carryover in the morning. Chris Vendel had the top caps score with a 99 until the lone 100 came in on the 20 +/- yardline.

Lewis Wyatt is on his way up to Sparta and he will be arriving sometime Friday. We hope he shoots well and als his son Steve.

Hopefully we will be getting tidbits of info along the way and we will pass them along as soon as we can. Jeff posted some more pix from Thursday and we hope he keeps snapping them.
smokem

Two More Days In The Books

Post by smokem »

Ok - it is hard to keep up with all the details but here goes. At the time of this writing Charlie Brown won a RU-SrVet trophy in doubles and Jeff Galloway won AA RU in another doubles event.

It looks like youngins won the first two handicap events on Wednesday and Thursday. Friday there were two 100's with Harlan Campbell shooting one of them. I don't know if he shotoff for the event but he managed being the runner-up. Friday Harlan broke 100 in singles - 100 in handicap and a 99 in doubles Friday.

I do not have a bunch of info from Saturday other than Lewis Wyatt breaking a 96 in the Saturday handicap event. This is being written at 10:32 Saturday night and we hope he wins his SrVet shootoff.

Jeff just called and said that Lewis went three rounds against 5 or 6 other SrVets with 96's and came up a little short. Good shooting Lewis and keep it up!!!!!
smokem

Update From The Grand

Post by smokem »

Look who showed up - Scott Hanes with Lewis Wyatt - Jeff Galloway and Steve Wyatt..

I have gotten a bit slack on reporting from the Grand. I do know that SC shooter Hannah Tollison Burdge broke her 1st 200 straight in singles over the weekend. VA shooter Bob Goodman has won and along with Jim Blevins who is friends with Terry Roush.

I took the time to make a list of all of the NC shooters that have won so far. With all of the carryovers the winners slowly develop over time. I will try to keep the winner list up-to-date so that folks can keep up with it easier. If I miss something just let me know....

Preliminary Week
Event # 3 – Rio Ammunition Doubles – SrVet RU – Charlie Brown 97
Event # 4 – Precision Stock Fit Singles – AA Winner – Tom Wilkinson 100
Event # 6 – EZ-GO Little Egypt Doubles – SrVet Winner – Charlie Brown 98
Event # 6 – EZ-GO Little Egypt Doubles – AA RU – Jeff Galloway 99
Event # 7 – Chamber Of Commerce Singles – AA Winner – Tom Wilkinson 100
White Flyer HOA 1300 – SrVet Winner – Charlie Brown 1243x1300
Silver Seitz All-Around – Class “D” RU – Lewis Wyatt 378x400
Browning Super 400 Doubles – SrVet Winner – Charlie Brown 389x400
Grand Week
Event # 13 – Winchester AA Class Singles – Class D 4th Place – Lewis Wyatt 194x200
Last edited by smokem on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smokem

Tuesday At The Grand

Post by smokem »

It looks like a lone 100 is sitting on top of the leaderboard in the Event 14 Handicap event. I have not been able to see all the scores from the caps and there might be another 100 at the top.

The 100 was broken by a sub-jr and he was on the 21 yard line....

More to come later...
smokem

Thursday - Hunter Baughman - 100 In Handicap Today

Post by smokem »

Looks like South Carolina Junior shooter Hunter Baughman has the lone 100 in the caps event today.

There might be more 100's and I just haven't been able to view them on the website.

Let's wish him the best of luck and he has been shooting great with that new Blaser Combo...

smokem

Hunter Baughman - 100 Straight In Handicap Thursday

Post by smokem »

As of 5:01 his 100 straight is the only 100 I have seen on the RJStuart website. There might be more but I just cannot be sure.
Hunter is a Junior shooter from South Carolina and he is shooting a new Blaser combo now. We wish him the best and we hope it holds up:)

Well - just checked the scores and it did hold up with over 2200 entries in the event...Great Job!!!
smokem

13-year-old wins Grand Challenge

Post by smokem »

Subject: 13-year-old wins Grand Challenge
Email:
Date: Mon, Aug 15, 2011 - 01:35 PM ET
Website Address: http://thesouthern.com/sports/article_7 ... 03286.html

SPARTA - You couldn't have wiped the grin off Logan Taylor's face with a road grader.

Who could blame him?

The 13-year-old from Russellville, Ala., bested some of the best shooters in the world to claim the $100,000 Grand American Challenge at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex.

"I feel great," he said, dissolving to a giggle. "I'm excited."

That might have been the understatement of the day. Taylor struggled to remember what year of school he'll be entering - eighth grade for the record. His mind was obviously churning.

This is the second year of the event that pits the winners of the eight handicap events, the high average handicap shooter and a contestant drawn at random in a winner-take-all format.

The eight handicap winners included Tony Kirk II, Tim Reed, Steve Huber, Wes Rowton, Hunter Baughman, Foster Bartholow and Grand American Handicap champion Keith Parrott. Five of those shooters were 20 years old or younger.

Harlan Campbell Jr. was the high average participant and Vicki Crane's name was drawn at random.

The event began with the two short-yardage shooters, Taylor (20.5 yards) and Kirk (18.5 yards) shooting 25 birds. Shooting first was just fine with Taylor.

"I'm happy I got to shoot first," he said. "That way I didn't know what I had to beat."

Taylor was perfect in the first round. Kirk dropped two targets.

Admittedly nervous on the line, he forced himself to shoot at a comfortable pace.

"That's the trick to it," Taylor said. "You have to make sure you don't get nervous and rush yourself."

Then, it was a matter of watching five 27-yard shooters, Campbell, Bartholow, Crane, Huber and Reed square off. They all missed at least one shot.

That helped relieve the tension.

"Every time they'd miss one," Taylor said.

In the final phase of the first round, Parrott, Baughman and Rowton squared off. Parrott was the only shooter to emerge unscathed, setting up a shoot-off between himself and Taylor.

Parrott missed single targets on the fourth and fifth posts. Taylor said those misses made his job easier.

"It wasn't tough at all," he said. "It just took all the stress off of it."

Unlike some of the other shooters, Taylor knew for a week that he would be shooting for $100,000 Saturday.

"I tried not to think about it," he said. "I wasn't that successful. That was hard to do."

As for where the money would go, Taylor was right on top of that.

"Pay for college," he said.

The money for the $100,000 challenge was donated by Bill and Lee Ann Martin. Before the event, tournament director Mike Hampton announced that Martins would donate the money again next year, as well as $200,000 to go toward Lewis class purses.

And, next year, they will donate an additional $50,000 for a women's challenge.

http://thesouthern.com/sports/article_7 ... 03286.html