113th Annual Grand American - Wednesday - Sunday

Info about shoot dates and scores from around the nation.
smokem

113th Annual Grand American - Wednesday - Sunday

Post by smokem »

113th Annual Grand American - Sunday August 12th, 2012
@1:15PM - Close to 20 200 straights hit the board this morning in the NRA singles event. Leo, Stacy Bringleson and SubJr Hunter Thornton wound up with perfect scores!
Jim Faber is tied for SrVet with a 199 and John Pickitt had a 197 on the board. Kenny Cox had a 191 in Class D and that is about all I noticed on my first sweep for info.

350 squads are participating in the Blaser Handicap event at this moment with squad 27 on the ready. No reports on the ground as of yet but I think the weather is wonderful in Sparta. @3:15PM - Frank Haynes from Illinois is the lone 98 on the board at this time. 12 more squads have been added so there is a chance for a 99 or 100 to be laying in the weeds.....

I checked back and there is another 98 and a 99 just came in wouldn't you know it!

@4PM - another 99 - five more 98's and a lone 100 that was broken by 26yd MD shooter David Dulin.I noticed Dennis Taylor's name and Kenny Cox on the board in their yardage groups.

@10:30PM - 270+ squads for the Wenig Doubles with 6 100's at the top of the board. Also former NC shooter Scott Hanes broke a 98 in the Blaser handicap from the 21.5 shooting his 90T. Scott still works for Remington and currently resides in Texas.

113th Annual Grand American - Saturday August 11th, 2012
Attendance - 1113D - 1559H - 1500+S
@9:05PM - Pennsylvania shooter Steven R. Fitch carded the lone 99 today in the Krieghoff Handicap at the Grand American.

1569 entries in the event and Hunter Galloway said the conditions were great for shooting and almost chilly in the AM.

Jeff Galloway had his flight cancelled to DC from RDU and wound up flying to Tampa before heading to St. Louis. He arrived safely and hopefully he got back in time to shoot this afternoon.

The NRA singles cranked off the first 100 this afternoon with maybe 50 100 straights on the board. 100's were broken by Terry Dean KY, Jim Faber SC, Ted Carwile VA and Ted Wilkinson from NC.

I talked to Jeff and Hunter after they had dinner at the Pioneer Cabin. Terry Roush, Billy Thigpen and his wife and Steve Morgan and his wife had dinner together. The Pioneer Cabin is a great place to eat while visiting Sparta.

313 shooters will shoot the 2nd 100 of the NRA singles Sunday morning and it will be interesting just how many 200's will show up. Weather looks great next week with temps in the low 90's Wednesday.

We will try to do a little better keeping up with the activity if possible!

113th Annual Grand American - Friday August 10th, 2012
Attendance - 1252S - 1313H - 1013D
@3:15PM - I missed all the fun from the singles this AM and it looks like 287 squads showed up for the Budweiser handicap. When I talked to Hunter Galloway this morning about 7:45 his time he commented that it was in the 60's.

At the moment squad 287 is on the ready and there is only one 98 on the board and it was broken by Iowa 27 yard shooter Robert Doerres Jr. 96's follow that 98 with Richard Marshall in the list. Temps currently in Sparta are showing LOW 80's and winds at about 8mph.

Not predicting anything but that might limit the number of 100's in the dubs this afternoon. My search for NC shooters on the leader board came up empty so far.

@3:36PM - looks like SubJr Hunter Thornton from Illinois and on the 21.5 just posted a 98 in the caps so that means a shootoff unless a 99 comes in late.

Lady1 Stephanie Carey won the Trapshooting USA Handicap Thursday with a 99. She will be shooting for the 100K and Rachel Hopkins will be shooting for the 50K next Saturday.

Also from the Thursday caps event both Steve Hawkins from VA and John Pickitt from SC won RU trophies in their categories. Come on NC shooters - who will be the first to win from the Tarheel State?

@9PM - The 99 came in and another 98 also before all the scores were tallied in the Friday Budweiser handicap. David King from Ohio posted a 98 and took SrVet. Hunter Thornton took SubJr and Robert Doerres took RU.

The 99 was posted by Hunter Edwards from Fremont Nebraska and he will shoot from the 23.5 in the next handicap event. 68 punches were given in the Thursday handicap with ONLY 15 punches for the Bud Caps today!

Switching to doubles now and we did have ONE 100 and it was broken by Dale Stockdale. Kenny Cox from NC got on the board with his C Class doubles score.

Jeff Galloway is heading to Sparta in the morning and will change planes in Washington DC. We wish him well and he will be sporting some green & white Remington shirts during his stay at the Grand!

113th Annual Grand American - Thursday August 9th, 2012
Attendance - 810S - 919H - 652D
@11AM - Dale Stockdale from Iowa was the eventual day 1 handicap winner with his 99 from the 27. A search for any NC winners turned up nothing with a ton of carryovers from the singles and the dubs.

81 degrees in Sparta Thursday morning and the high temps and high humidity Wednesday was tough for some according to Hunter Galloway. Temps should be nice for the 236 squads shooting the "Precision Fit Stocks" singles event this morning. No scores have hit the scoreboard yet but I imagine they will be up soon.

@2:15PM - A lone 99 sits atop the leader board and it was turned in by Lady1 shooter Stepanie Carey from Kentucky. She was shooting from the 19 and Friday she will be shooting from the 21 yard line for sure. Weather is cooler than Wednesday from what I can tell and maybe that will help the shooters a bit!

I searched for NC, SC, VA and GA shooters on the leader board and none to be found at the time of this writing.

@5:45PM - I did not get a chance to see what other scores showed up in the caps. RJStuart is experiencing server issues at the moment and I am not sure if all the doubles scores are up or not.

182 squads were scheduled to shoot the NSSF doubles Thursday afternoon and maybe we will have more info to share a little later. Looks like Wyoming shooter Phil Kiner won his yardage yesterday in the caps event.

@10:45PM - didn't do too good of a job keeping up with things today. Looks like three 99's with the winner to be determined and posted on Friday.

Looks like Addison Callan and Billy Thigpen got on the board in the dubs today but there scores weren't at the top of their class winning scores.

Friday events are sponsored by Budweiser with the Michelob Ultra Singles, Budweiser Handicap and the Bud Light Doubles. A bit of Trivia - what former PA/NC and now SC resident won the Budweiser Handicap in 1998 with a 98 from the 21.5?

The Grand is just getting cranked up with Lady Jackie Snellenberger breaking a 98 to get into the 50K ladies handicap challenge to be determined next Saturday.

We will try to keep up a little better on Friday and hopefully we will have NC shooters on the big board and in the winners column.

113th Annual Grand American - Wednesday August 8th, 2012
Attendance - 690S - 792H - 574D
@2:08PM - It has begun and the Trap & Field Handicap event is showing 233 squads headed to the line. No results from the caps at the moment but we do have an overview of the Hodgon Powder Singles this morning.

Ok - 21 100 straights in AAA - 12 in AA - 3 in A - 2 in B - 1 in C and a 100 straight in "D" class. Don't get excited he is a SubJr shooter and had a great event!

I noticed a few names on the board including Jim Mitchell from GA and Willard Sprang from South Carolina. Also noticed quite a few 100's in the Vet and SrVet and SubJr categories.

Weather at 12:55 was 93 degrees and minimal winds. You can keep up with the action by visiting http://www.rjstuart.com - That is all for now and hopefully we will begin to see some NC shooters on the board!

@4:45PM - 3 99's on top of the leader board in the Trap & Field handicap event with NC shooter Dennis Taylor on the board with a 94.

Squad 133 is on the ready in the "Little Egypt" doubles event with 173 squads signed up to shoot. Looks like folks brought their "A" game to the Grand but what did you expect.

We will take a look here in a bit once the duobles scores start trickling in. I predict that those three 99's are it for the day.....Who will be the 1st to get in the running for the 100k shootoff?

@11:45PM - looks like the three 99's held up and not sure who the winner is on rjstuart. About 7 100's in the dubs and lady shooter Jackie Snellenberger had one of them.

Addison Callan posted a 93 in "C" class and Charlie Brown had a 96 in the SrVet group. That is about it for day one and we will try to get more info Thursday!