Trapshooting Tips And Other Things

The ongoing saga of the gun purchased in Boone and shot around the Country!
smokem

Trapshooting Tips And Other Things

Post by smokem »

Subject: WHAT DO PAST AND PRESENT GREAT SHOTS HAVE IN COMMO
Email:
Date: Wed, Jan 12, 2011 - 02:32 PM ET
Website Address:

I was a friend of Vic Reinders, shot with him on occasion, and discussed many times what it took to be a great trap shooter and a champion. First of all, Vic was not blessed with above average athletic ability, or above average eye site, as he wore glasses. He was tall, and had a long neck. Vic always said that he could teach someone to shoot well with just average coordination.

From Vic's view, trap shooting took mental toughness. He always said that most trap shooters lost targets from the neck up. If you could control your nerves in competition he felt he could teach you how to become successful in this game.

Some of the things Vic believed in and personally felt that would contributed not only to his and others success is, sticking with the same gun. Vic always told me that a person who likes to purchase and trade guns will never be a top notch shooter. They would be better off becoming a gun vendor at shoots.

He felt wearing the same clothing was also important as he said different clothes including vest allows you to mount your gun differently. He felt for consistent scores you needed to shoot each time with the same gun, and clothing, including shoes.

Vic felt your squad mates were also important. People you choose to shoot with that won't screw up your squad but good. He felt a good squad is one that you can depend on not to talk on the line, makes comments after they miss targets, and they all know the rules of the game, and act as a champions would and should act.

Vic felt when you miss a target, it's over, don't stew over it, you can't get it back. He felt if you continue thinking about that previous miss, you will most likely miss the next target out. Vic felt another aspect of becoming a champion was to know the rules of trapshooting. Vic rewrote that ATA rules in 1958 when he was the ATA president. He knew these rules like the back of his hand. He told me knowing the rule book saved him from losing targets numerous times.

All Vic felt that a person needed to become a champion was the above mentioned things I wrote, lots of practice, and average physical ability and eye site. Vic felt even if you wear eyeglasses and the correction made you 20/20, you could be a champion. The only time wearing glasses could become a problem he felt was shooting in the rain. He said make sure your glasses fit properly so they do not fog up on you while shooting.

The last thing Vic said a shooter needed was the heart of a champion. He felt one's desire played an important role. How badly do you want to win and be successful? Vic felt no one could teach that. You are either born with it or not.

Vic did not put much stock in averages, only for classification purposes. Vic judged fellow shooters on tournament wins. To show you how mental tough Vic was, I will tell you a short story.

Vic and I shoot during the Wisconsin state shoot one year. It was raining and my scores were not good. I started to complain between banks of traps about the rain making my hands slip off my gun. He told me when it rains he never takes his hand off the forend of his gun during the entire 100 targets. Vic actually kept his hand on the forend of his gun from start to finish so rain water would not make the forend slippery.

You may or may not agree with Vic's views on making a champion trap shooter, but I would think that know one can deny he was one hell of a champion trap shooter. Any one doubt what I say, look up the record books and read about the old time shooters. Steve Balistreri
smokem

Drew Hause Posts

Post by smokem »

Email:
Date: Tue, Jan 11, 2011 - 05:05 PM ET
Website Address:

Nov. 18, 1905 Sporting Life

HOW CROSBY SMASHES HIS TARGETS WITH SUCH SUCCESS Mrs. Will K. Park

While W. R. Crosby, the professional wing shot, of O’Fallon, Ill., was shooting in the big target tourney at Watson Park, Chicago, recently, and when he broke the full 20 without a miss, one of the amateurs watching him closely remarked: "I believe that quickness is every thing in shooting these inanimate birds. I notice that Crosby never allows one to get over 20 or 30 yards away from the trap, while some of the other fellows wait until the target is 50 or 60 yards away and on the descent instead of on the rise. I believe that it is one of the secrets of his wonderful work at all tournaments."

Scores of men who are themselves among the best shots were also watching every move made by Crosby. They noted that he sighted his gun right at the trap, and no sooner had the clay pigeon been thrown than Crosby fired. He seemed to go right along with the target as it was thrown and some of the birds were smashed before they had gone ten yards away from the mouth of the trap house. The only birds allowed to sail more than 20 yards away from the traps were the right quarterers, which were let go by a short distance on a dead line to prevent a miss from being recorded. These are the hardest shots to secure.

Email:
Date: Wed, Jan 12, 2011 - 01:32 PM ET
Website Address: http://books.google.com/books?id=qkEEAAAAYAAJ

Pigeon Shooting: With instructions for beginners and suggestions for those who participate in the sport of pigeon shooting

Albert William Money, Arthur Corbin Gould 1896

I would lay great stress on the necessity of concentrating your whole thought and attention on the shot. I have for many years past, known all the best pigeon shots, both amateur and professional, who have made their mark on either side of the water, and I have seen the very best of them miss comparatively easy birds, because their thought for the moment was on something else; some one, perhaps, having made a remark as they went to the score and so called off their attention from what they were doing.

Next to this I would advise keeping a cool and equable temperament. Never allow yourself to be upset or put out by anything that may occur. If a miss comes, take it philosophically; we all miss at times. Don't lose your temper and blame your gun, or shells, or anything but your own want of holding straight.

Email:
Date: Wed, Jan 12, 2011 - 01:40 PM ET
Website Address: http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLib ... 026024.pdf

Valuable suggestions given by the famous shot, Rolla O. Heikes Dayton. O., March 7, 1898. Gun Editor Sporting Life

To become an expert requires natural talent, patience and practice. I am not a believer that every amateur can be an expert, for all have not the eye, nerve and natural ability required. Yet I know many of ordinary skill who enjoy this outdoor sport, recreation and good fellowship among sportsmen equally as well as those quite proficient in the art. The question might be asked: What is required to become an expert? In my opinion a good constitution, a keen eye, a steady nerve, a natural talent and above all an even temper. How often we have seen some of our best shots balked and unnerved by broken birds in traps. This may happen two or three times in succession and the oftener it occurs the less chance you have of breaking the target unless you control your temper. To lose your temper loses many a target and the good shot who learns to keep a cool head usually lands in the "King Row" first.

Concentrate your mind on the bird, and do not allow anything else to attract your attention until after you have fired.

Email:
Date: Wed, Jan 12, 2011 - 01:44 PM ET
Website Address: http://books.google.com/books?id=G5ECAAAAYAAJ

Guns, Ammunition, and Tackle

Albert William Money, Horace Kephart, W. E. Carlin, Abraham Lincoln Artmann Himmelwright, John Harrington Keene 1904

When I first began shooting targets, I asked a professional who then, as he does to-day, stood in the very front rank as a target shot, how he accounted for being so good as he was. His answer taught me a great deal. It was, "Constant practice, using my head, and never firing a shot that I did not put all my mind into."

Email:
Date: Wed, Jan 12, 2011 - 01:56 PM ET
Website Address: http://books.google.com/books?id=YqsXs-WbKWMC&dq

Robert Churchill 1925 How to Shoot - Some Lessons in the Science of Shot Gun Shooting

The whole art of trapshooting is comprised in the ability to take instantaneous aim and pull the trigger on the instant.
smokem

Beretta Pro Tips

Post by smokem »

1. Shoot only when you want to shoot! Just because it is Sunday and you always go, you don’t have to shoot. If you only shoot when you really want to, you will enjoy shooting more, and be less likely to pick up bad habits.

2. Ask questions! Be persistent. If you aren’t sure of what you are doing, ask! Seek out an All-American woman if you can. Many are more than willing to share with you, and they can help with many of the questions that you may have and give you the womanly perspective. 3 - Gun fit is number one priority - Take your gun to someone who can truly fit your gun to you. This is extremely important to women, since guns are made for the average male. We are certainly not male, and most definitely not average.

3. Take instruction - Best is to take a class from a good instructor. If this is not an option for you, select one person to whom you truly have faith in and stick to their advice. By listening to every shooter who tries to help you, you most likely will become very confused.

4. Shoot light loads! There’s no reason to use heavy shotgun shells, especially when you are shooting up close. Save yourself, and you will like the sport much better!

5. Have fun - It’s a great sport. It’s one that you can enjoy with a boyfriend, husband, and even your kids. Invite your friends to join you.

1. Build yourself a mental game in practice. Then when you shoot competition use the same mental game. When you go to the field always concern yourself with your mental game, not the other shooters.

2. Keep a log of your shooting. After a while you will see problems you were not aware of.

3. Always view targets before starting a round or practice session. If they are not right change them. Make them uniform everywhere you shoot.

4. Make a shooting schedule early in the year. Then prepare yourself by making all the travel arrangements. You do not need to be concerned with all this when your shooting starts. You will need to focus on your shooting. (Mental game)

5. Practice. Every professional in every sport prepares themselves with practice. If you want to improve and move up to the next level you will need practice also.

1. Prepare mentally as well as physically for a shoot.

2. Never give up on a bad day - keep breaking targets one at a time.

3. Shoot your own game.

4. Be sure your equipment is right for you: gun, glasses, shells, etc.

5. Eat a good meal before a competition. If you get hungry on the course eat fruit, peanuts or granola bars. Stay away from candy bars, they give you a quick high then it is gone just as quick.

6. Focus on the target not the barrel.
smokem

More Of Them Tips

Post by smokem »

This list is offered to help beginner shooters get a grip on a few things that can help[ if they are remembered and used]. If anybody has some others.....feel free!

1. Focus on and maintain visual contact with the target......nothing else! 2. Never quit on any target, but be determined to break 'em all. 3. Block out all distractions and concentrate on EACH individual target. 4. Keep your cheek on the comb and maintain eye alignment after the shot and until follow through is completed. 5. Always follow through after firing and keep the gun moving. 6. In gun mounting, come straight up to the shoulder and head.....eliminate wasted motion.Keep the gun still after mounting.Keep head upright. 7. Know a practice the correct hold points for each station. 8. Observe how wind is affecting targets and adjust accordingly. 9. Consistent gun mount is important for every target.Same way for every shot. 10. If you're doing it RIGHT.....Have an unchanging routine for EACH shot. 11. Use "Imagery" if it helps you! [Example...the target is a Grouse}. 12. Use BOTH eyes for good bifocal vision......thats why you got two of them. 13. Your master eye must be slightly above and aligned with the rib at mounting. 14. Don't move the gun till the target path is quickly determined. 15. Smoothly swing the gun to the target, twisting at the WAIST, not with only the arms . A wide stance makes this much harder to do. 16. Use a narrow, straight-up stance and posture.......no leaning forward. 17. Balance the gun between the hands when mounted. 18. Gun grip should be firm, yet relaxed and not tense.Use shooting gloves. 19. Never rush any shot.....you have ample time to do it right. 20. Never call for the target unless you KNOW you are ready.This causes many misses. 21. Call for the target in a short, crisp manner. 22. Shoot AT the target while keeping the gun moving. Sorta like smoothly painting it out of the sky. 23. Have the personal confidence to know you CAN break any target thrown. 24. Be motivated to ALWAYS want to improve you style and technique. 25. If you miss, learn from it by knowing WHY and don't repeat the same error. 26. Shooting "pressure" is a self-imposed distraction........avoid it! 27. Relax,but stay concentrated on the task at hand. 28. Call for the target immediately upon mounting.....do NOT hold a mount any longer than necessary.Keep the gun still after mounting. 29. Your stance should be with only about 6 inches between heels and NOT facing the traphouse. Align your stance on the 50 yd stake. 30. Use Soft-Focus prior to calling for the target.Then let your peripheral vision first pick up the target streak.......then hard focus on the target just before the shot. 31. Use a higher gun hold point and let the target do the work by coming up to that hold point. Save motion not NOT chasing the target up from the traphouse. 32. Use at least a 60/40 POI......Trap guns must shoot higher because the targets are rising.This also prevents losing sight of the target. 33. Realize that there really is no such thing as a straightaway target. 34. Never anticipate which way the target will fly.....Wait, and be SURE! 35. Maintain your personal concentration no matter what. 36. Trust in your hand-eye coordination.....don't be to deliberate in your style. 37. Try to shoot at the same speed[rhythm] each shot if possible. 38. Be safety conscious, but don't get carried away [distracted] by it. 39. Never anticipate the shot.......just let it happen. 40. Do whatever is necessary to prevent a Flinch from starting. 41. Do whatever you can to reduce "Felt" recoil [method or gun, or both]. 42. Accurate and consistent shooting will ONLY be possible with a good-fitting gun. 43. Don't underestimate or overestimate target speed.......get the feel of it. 44. Remember you are shooting at a 41 mph target with an 8oo mph load. If the gun is kept moving,the importance of "lead" is deminished. 45. Hold a gun point high enough to reduce gun movement as much as possible......mostly moving left or right. 46. Be a shooter who is welcomed by other shooters. 47. Don't dwell on a missed target. 48. Never become self-condeming if your shooting is not as good as you would like it to be. 49. Remember, this is a 90% mental game.......keep your head glued on right! 50. Once you develop a good style.........practice it the SAME WAY every shot. 51. Don't get bored with routine.........thats just a requirement. 52. Always wear eye and ear protection. 53. Be sure you have the correct guage and number of shells for each round. 54. Don't be concerned about what/how other shooters are doing. 55. Have the right attitude........Winners expect to win, and losers expect to lose.......be a winner! 56. Seek the advice of good shooters and learn from them. 57. Master the 16 yd line before shooting doubles or handicap. 58. Wear wide,flat-bottom, comfortable shoes for the best support. 59. Don't mix reloads or new loads.......25 of the SAME shells each round. 60. Develop and test a reload that gives you the most advantages and/or works BEST for YOU! 61. Always use the POI that works best for you and always pattern your loads. Visualize that pattern while shooting. 62. Dismount and remount when theres a delay or no target comes out. 63. Try to shoot each target while it is still rising, but definitely BEFORE it peaks. 64. Try to observe one round by other shooters before you start shooting. Study the targets, but never try to "read" the traps. 65. Start on either station 2,3,or 4 if you are a beginner. 66. Avoid ALL negative thoughts[about anything] while shooting. 67. Don't eat or drink just before shooting. 68. Do not talk to other shooters on line. 69. Never, but NEVER, lose your cool on line. 70. Always know when its your turn to shoot. 71. Know and follow the accepted rules of trap shooting. 72. Keep your gun pointed downrange at all times when on station. 73. Know when your gun is loaded at all times. 74. Be extra careful moving from station 5 to station 1. 75. Always have a few extra shells with you when shooting. 76. Don't handle other shooters guns without first asking permission. 77. Don't pick up other shooters empty hulls. 78. Don't be late to the line . 79. Wear a hat or cap to shade your eyes......blinders are a good idea also. 80. Be your own best critic.......your best effort, practice or registered. 81. Emphasize to yourself what you SHOULD be doing....not what you should NOT be doing. 82. Be precise and careful in your reloading.......you want consistency in ammo. 83. Remember that all target will be rising and quartering away from you. 84. Inconsistent gun mount will change your POI for each shot....don't let it happen. 85. A crisp trigger of the proper pull, without any creep, is vital. 86. Use the correct shooting lens for your eyes. An eye exam before starting to shoot is a good idea.
Ok, that's it...........I know, I know, its only 86.....sue me! All kidding aside....I hope this list helps!......Shoot Well!