2014 Smoke Reports

The ongoing saga of the gun purchased in Boone and shot around the Country!
smokem

2014 Smoke Reports

Post by smokem »

Oh yeah....another year of dribble and a contributor to global warming.. Look for my 2014 reporting to be more in depth and nobody is safe. I might even add the old "Hotshot Of The Week" like we use to have years ago.

Have a great start to 2014 and look for us next Monday January 6th....

Smokem
smokem

January 6th Smoke Report 2014

Post by smokem »

Good morning and welcome to 2014 and the first Smoke Report of 2014. The forecast is for super cold weather and if there was ever a scenario for a blooper this week would be it. Tuesday morning looks like a low of 13 here in Jamestown and that will vary across the State.
One shoot over the weekend and it looks like about 15 hardy souls showed up for Buckhorn's first registered shoot of 2014. I do not have any scores and will get them posted today sometime. Your next chance to register targets in North Carolina will be January 18th when Gastonia holds their first shoot of the year.

Dave Daily called Saturday and Dave and Nick Wracher had just finished registering targets at Myrtle Grove Gun Club near Myrtle Beach SC. Nick commented that he had purchased a Remington 1100 Competition that Gamaliel was pushing over the holiday. He will shoot the Beretta O/U Dave sold him for doubles a few years back. If you are ever in the area MGGC is right off Highway 9 near the Black/Big Bear Golf Course.

Folks are spread out with Terry Roush back in town, the Galloway's heading back from Bald Head and Steve Watson collecting crime scene photo's in Florida. Speaking of weather it looks like Tuesday in Odessa FL will have 47 for the high and 34 for the low temp. Saturday it will be 81 for a high and 62 low and that is more like it.

Word off the mountain is that Morg Shaw is on the mend after a freak accident. Morg donates quite a bit of time for the "Hunter Safety" program at the club. During the winter they shoot off a hand set trap that sits on a bench. Somehow Morg lined his jaw up with a target and it knocked 1 and 1/2 teeth out and turned his tongue black. Glad it did not hit him in the eye or even a shot to the temple could have been fatal. I am sure the hunter safety kids learned a valuable lesson and possibly got to use some first aid skills also.

Tom Shelley had to do some fixing on some pipes due to the cold weather and had to stay home Friday. There is more cold weather to come and he is getting prepared. Pitts is working on his Harlan Campbell style weight forward push by consuming strawberry jelly biscuits according to Shelley. Steve Watson has been in Florida and has been sending pictures back to the mountain men to keep them company and warm at night. No report on BamBam because nobody has heard from him lately. He is probably plotting and planning for the 2014 season and he will be back with a vengeance I am sure of it. Teach Waters hit the Appalachian trail here a few weeks back and not sure how that turned out.

Locally JC Nunn was warm in his nest Sunday and said he slipped out to the Rock Saturday to take a look inside the clubhouse. Lane Murray slipped up to the Rock Sunday and said he had brewed a fresh pot of coffee and was just soaking the quiet time in. JT Brewer came by for a little bit and had probably been down shooting his 22 rifle.

This has been reported on before but it looks like the BIG50 can now be run on the weekends with coordination approved by the local state association. Not sure how many BIG50's clubs will run on the weekend in NC but we will see. Regardless of how quick a club turns around events the BIG50 should allow a club to throw 1/2 the targets in 1/2 the time for 1/2 the price...

There is a lot of talk on the web asking the question. If all shells get to almost 9/10 bucks a box will you continue to shoot trap. I know a lot of folks have cut back and trapshooting isn't a poor mans sport but what is the limit? There are still quite a few folks that reload but the price and availability of lead can be an issue also. I have a stash of reloading supplies and am currently working on buying shells for 2014.. JC said he had 20 flats loaded so he is ready to go at the moment.

That will do it for this week and please stay warm and stay hydrated please. Great time for a humidifier when the air gets really dry and for folks that snore....Hello to Lou and until next Monday morning.......................................Smokem
smokem

January 13th Smoke Report 2014

Post by smokem »

Hello to all and Sunday sure turned out to be a beautiful day. With the super cold weather early in the week the warm-up was much appreciated. One shoot over the weekend and another shoot this weekend on the 18th.
Buckhorn shot the 5th and the 12th and both shoots had different weather. The shoot on the 5th offered cool and misty conditions while the 12th offered clear and windy conditions. On the 5th Tim Crabtree won the singles and Jared Pettet won everything else. On the 12th John Miller won the singles, Marty Hill won the caps, Greg High won the doubles and Jared Pettet won the HOA. BGC will shoot next month on Saturday the 23rd so mark your calendar accordingly.

Gastonia hosts their 1st shoot of 2014 this weekend on the 18th. I emailed Phillip Putnam asking for a program that is produced by the City Of Gastonia. Hopefully we will get that posted before the weekend.

Folks traveling with the Prez in Odessa, Galloway's slipped off to Bald Head and Tom Shelley is slaying deer in Alabama? Terry posted a picture on Facebook standing in front of the clubhouse at the Silver Dollar and he really knows how to hurt a fellow. Hunter Galloway was sitting on Bald Head Island amidst sunny skies and 70 degree temps and no sign of rain. Tom Shelley sent me a picture of a buck he killed and it looked like and 8 pointer.....just not sure.

The Dixie Grand cranks up the 20th and I will try real hard to keep up with all the news from the Silver Dollar. Not sure who will show up that we know to shoot but it is always exciting when folks are competing and breaking clay. I remember shooting with Jeri Wilson when she took runner-up in the Dixie Grand Handicap and a good chunk of change shooting that Kolar........

JC Nunn is taking it easy and is looking forward to getting out and shooting. I think he is ready to load some shells and is all out of supplies. He said he needed 10 bags of shot, 16lbs of Green Dot, 5000 primers and 5000 fig8 wads. That is a whole lot of reloading but he has the time to do it. I shot JC's reloads for two seasons prior to his wife passing away. He turned me onto a Clay load that I still shoot today. He has gone to Green Dot and is loading the same recipe Elmo Matkins shot for years. JC turns 91 the 13th Of July Lord willing and I hope he has many more to come.

Looks like Ron Burdick is down in Florida and wound up shooting with Ron Schroer of Texas at the Sarasota Gun Club. Ron Schroer is about to shoot his 100,000th doubles target and will celebrate that accomplishment with his friends at the Spring Grand in Tuscon Arizona. Ron Burdick is known for putting up some great handicap scores at our NC Homegrounds.....

Lane Murray slipped out to the Rockingham Gun Club Sunday and shot a round of handicap in the wind with Lewis Wyatt and Doc Gonzalez. Lane reported that the clubhouse is coming right along and they were getting ready to install the drop ceiling this week. Also the club will be allowing new members to apply and you will need to check the website on February 1st. They have opened up the membership cap and if have ever wanted to join this is the time to do it.

Also, Tom Cox is out and about after his second knee replacement and is smoke free since December 15th. He used to shoot a little bit and got back into the Ham Radio hobby possibly because of me. He has done a great job with the trap program at the Rock and we appreciate his running that computer on registered shoot dates.

That is about it for this smoke report and according to the weather man/woman we might have some frozen precip floating around here Wednesday. I have a million dollar budget to get ready before Friday so I will be busy all week....Have a great week Lou and until next week........................Smokem
smokem

January 20th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Hello and the nation is celebrating the MLK Holiday today. I am off and not sure what all I will get into. Weekend weather was cool and windy and I hope to have the shoot report from Gastonia real soon.
Buckhorn is shooting their 75 bird race this Saturday the 25th. Sign up at 11 and shooting begins at noon. 25 from the 16 - 20 and 25 for $25 and Lewis style payouts. Jimmy Wilson won the last event and who will give him a run for the money this weekend.

The Dixie cranks up today and I will try to get info posted from the event if and when available. Weather looks windy and 52 is the high for Wednesday. Regardless of the weather being in Florida in the winter time is great.

Lewis Wyatt and JC Nunn have been slipping out to the Rock and practicing. I asked JC how he shot the other day and he wasn't too pleased. He was testing some 3/4 ounce loads using an IM choke and it wasn't producing the smoke he is used to. JT Brewer has led the movement to lighter less lead filled loads and I think it is great for practice.

Lane Murray slipped up to the Rock Sunday and nobody was shooting. Scott Shoulars and Tom Cox were watching the ballgame in the trap building and that was about it. The new clubhouse is coming right along it shouldn't be long before it is ready to go.

Everybody have a great week and it looks like a little snow might appear around Tuesday......I will believe it when I see it. Hello to Lou and I hope to see your name on the leader board at the Dixie and until next week......................Smokem
smokem

January 27th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - pretty cold this week and more cold weather on the way. It is winter after all and it even got cold in Florida can you believe it? I was checking the scores at the Dixie Grand one morning and it was 36 in Port Charlotte.
One event over the weekend at the Buckhorn Gun Club Saturday. The 75 Bird Race had 6 folks brave the wind and hats off to the competitors. Lewis Wyatt broke a 59x75 to secure the win in the wind. Lewis commented that when the wind blew from the back the target barely cleared the top of the house. Looks like everybody had fun and that is what counts.

Two shoots in NC in the month of February and they include Gastonia on the 15th and BGC on the 23rd. I am sure that if a pretty day shows up BGC will host a shoot to take advantage of the weather.

I haven't been up to the Rock to check on the clubhouse lately and I hope to get some more info soon. It will not be long until it is finished and ready to use. I believe the trap program will still run the shoots out of the building it occupies currently. Either way it will work out and I can't wait to rock on the big porch....

It was pretty cold Wednesday and JC was working at the auto auction. He must really bundle up because he didn't complain about being cold. I know he is getting stir crazy and slips out to the club every time the weather gets warm.

Spent some time Sunday going through my 12x24x8 high wall building. I found a bunch of stuff and I never realized I had so many hulls. STS - Nitro's - Federal Plastic - AA Silver Bullet's -Activ and about 6,000 Gun Clubs. If anybody needs hulls please let me know or they are going to be placed in boxes and shipped to a happy reloader.

I also lost track of my grandfather's Mossberg trap gun. It was tucked away and when I took it out of the Remington gun sock and case it didn't have a spot of rust on it. The safety is gone and the stock is in rough shape and I might spend a buck to get it back in shape. It was great shouldering a gun my grandpa used and I sure miss the old rascal. Also found some old trophies from Pinehurst, Spartanburg, Buckhorn, Watauga and even the first trophy I ever won from the Piedmont Gun Club in 1965 - I am getting old.....er....

That is about it for this week and please stay warm and hopefully we will miss all the ice that Texas is experiencing. We dodged the bullet with this last trace of snow and the next big snow just might be right around the corner.

Lou have a great week and it looks like you didn't fire a shot at the Dixie and until next Monday.....................................smokem......
smokem

February 3rd Smoke Report 2014

Post by smokem »

February 3rd Smoke Report

Hello to all and the rain is a coming. At least it will wash all of the salt off the road until the next snow event. At least the weekend was nice for folks to get out and shoot a little trap.
One shoot on Sunday at the Buckhorn Gun Club and they had a good turnout. Richard Drake won the singles, Dan Johnson won the caps and the doubles and Jared Pettet won the HOA. The weather was nice but the wind played with the targets all day. Buckhorn shoots the 23rd so please mark your calendar and attend if you can.

Dan Johnson celebrates a birthday on the 4th and not sure exactly just how old he is. Sure glad to have him back in North Carolina and shooting trap again. Somebody has to keep Jimmy Wilson in check and that is a full time job for sure.

I got a few reports of folks shooting at the Rock on Saturday and Sunday. Work is still going on at the new clubhouse and I hope to get up there to take some pictures in the very near future. I always like to take pictures of clubs covered by snow and maybe I will get some this year. Several weather outlets are predicting heavy snows and maybe even in this area.

Looks like a fellow has set a Guinness world record for breaking 25 targets in 64.14 seconds. He shot a Fabarms auto with Winchester tracker wads and a special leg mounted shell dispenser that he created. There is a video link on Trapshooters.com and it is a very interesting video. Folks are already commenting that he isn't shooting hard left or right angles so take a look at the video for yourself. He is also shooting at night and the camera position might make the angles look less severe.

I talked with Richard "TN" Colley Saturday and he is doing well. The Kettlefoot Club was looking for containers to package their batch of reclaimed shot. I had a bunch of Maxwell House plastic cans a for him and evidently the club found some tubs already. Lane broke targets hard with that shot Sunday using 1 1/8 and his Green Dot load.

Terry Roush posted a picture of him and Maggie Sunday. Maggie is 14 and is having some stability issues so Terry got her a stroller for their daily 2 mile walk. Got to admire a person that cares for a pet like that and it says a lot about a person. I have quite a few pictures of Maggie that I have taken through the years.

I am typing this report a little early on Sunday night and it is looking a little rough for the Bronco nation. 22-0 in the 2nd period and Bruno Mars is about to take the stage. Peyton has been through a lot over the last few years and the second half will determine his legacy for years to come. You can pass for the most yards and throw the most touchdowns but if you don't win the big game it is nothing more than a record sad to say.

Have a great wet week and I pray we don't have a freezing rain event next weekend. With all the rain this week the trees will not hold up under even a minimal load of ice. Hello to Lou and until next Monday morning...............................Smokem
smokem

February 10th Smoke Report 2014

Post by smokem »

Great weather weekend for all practical purposes and from what I hear folks were out shooting. Hopefully you have already been to the grocery store to stock up on the essential goodies preparing for the impending NC whiteout.
Not sure who to believe with all of the weather models floating around but one thing is for sure - something is coming. I have heard this storm called a Noreaster but only time will tell. I will have to be at work regardless because folks still do bad even when it snows.

One shoot this upcoming weekend at Gastonia Parks & Rec. The weather looks better for the weekend but there might be snow on the ground in Gastonia. They sent me their scores for the last shoot and I really need to post them. Phillip Putnam does a great job hosting the events and still do not have a current flyer for their events.

Got some interesting news from up on the hill in Boone. I heard tell that the Watauga GC is ordering a PAT trap for trap 1 for doubles with hopes to buy a second PAT in the very near future. Also there is info that ERAD technology might descend into the hollow to eliminate some of the cross call issues between fields 1 & 2 & 3. Also the club will offer 400 target programs that will allow for folks a chance to break a 200 straight in the valley. Also there is movement to return to service the 1st trap ever built at WGC the infamous "Widowmaker" lovingly numbered trap 4. I know Marty Hill is just tickled to death to get that good news from the boys.

I called ATA President Terry Roush this weekend and he was sounding great. I wanted to order some rule books for an upcoming trap class and just wanted to find out the best person to call. He also mentioned something about Tom and it slipped right by me. I first met Terry when I was involved in Ham Radio and had not returned to shooting. Terry was attending the Orlando Hamfest and ran into Tom Cox at the event. Terry sent me a picture of the duo and at the time I was talking to Terry and I didn't know that he had sent me the picture. Back when Tom was shooting trap we convoyed down to the South Carolina State Shoot and I suggested we use our 2 meter handhelds to communicate. Little did I know that I would help rekindle the Ham bug in Tom and he has been very active ever since and shoots trap very little now.

I talked to PA transplant and Georgia shooter Chuck Dalmus Sunday. He is working on the Hollingsworth brothers to attend our annual Pow-Wow in Ruffsdale PA in July. I was inducted with Chucks brother Kevin 6 years ago into the Konne-Yaut Indians after being invited by PA transplant and SC shooter Dave Daily. Hopefully they can clear their schedules and attend this annual event. Next year we will travel back to the club I was inducted into at the West Penn GC near Murryville PA.

Speaking of Dave Daily he just got back from the Domincan Republic and stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in Punta Cana. It is a 5 star resort and from looking at the pictures it looks like paradise. I asked him if he had a tan and he commented that he was pretty dark for the month of February. It won't be long until Dave retires and I know he is looking forward to that. Hopefully we will get to shoot with him at the SC State Shoot in May.

Lane and Hunter did a little traveling over the weekend and getting stuff done. Hunter told his momma that a man wants a sandwich and that a man wants a woman to make him a sandwich. I know that Lane's wife got to laughing and asked Hunter where he had heard that and he said the Reba show. Lane went to the gun shop to pick up his Ljutic that he had on consignment and he sure would like to sell it. I don't have all the details but it is a great gun and has had some extensive work done on it by Ljutic and comes with two barrels.

I called JT Brewer Saturday and he was at the Rock with a few other shooters. He said that his son Glenn was up there and he was shooting good. I told JT to tell Glenn he needed to get that splinter out and give us some competition if he was shooting so good. Glenn is one heck of a shot and does it all with 7/8's and maybe 1 ounce loads from time to time. Sure would be great to see him out shooting even if it was in our Lewis Class non-registered shoots.

This Saturday the Rockingham GC will be offering a free Intro To Trapshooting Class for Rockingham Club members. We had a great turnout last year when we held the class and some even joined the ATA. We are going to follow this up with an intermediate class in early March for folks that want a little more instruction and right in time for the shooting season. Check the Rockingham Gun Club website for more information.

Looks like my Canadian friend Bruce Forbes (twopipe on Trapshooters.com) is planning to vacation in Coastal NC and wanted info on quail hunting in North Carolina. I turned him onto our staff duty Sgt. Gray Siler and Gray suggested a spot near Reidsville NC. Bruce and I have been sharing info for years and he used to show up in the chatroom from time to time. He also shoots Beretta A400's and has had good things to say about the gun. Hopefully we will get to meet him if he in fact travels through NC.

That is about all the smoke I have for this week and I pray that we don't get 8 inches of snow. It messes everything up and some folks just do not need to be driving in it. Take care and Lou if you are still reading this info every Monday morning I appreciate you and until next week.................................Smokem
smokem

February 17th Smoke Report 2014

Post by smokem »

Good morning and thanks goodness all of that snow is melting away. Looks like as of Sunday our snow total for this area is over 10 inches and a full 2 inches over average.
I got a report from Lewis Wyatt after he rode out to the Rock on Friday. He shot a couple of rounds and took some pictures that I hope to get posted. I know folks shot Saturday and Sunday practice even in the snowy conditions.

One shoot this weekend at the Buckhorn Gun Club on Sunday the 23rd. I know folks are stir crazy and just itching to get out and register some birds. Only 3 weeks till the time changes and I can't wait.

I read that Bud Decot had passed away and not sure of the exact date. He was a great businessman and I have a pair of glasses that he made that my grandfather wore years ago. He will be sorely missed and our prayers go out to his friends and family.

I wish I had more to write about this week but it is just a slow smoke week. I can't remember the last time I picked up a shotgun and that has got to change and soon.

Have a great week and maybe just maybe the snow is over for 2014......Lou hope you are doing well and until next week........Smokem
smokem

February 24th Smoke Report 2014

Post by smokem »

Good morning and I hope you enjoyed that wonderful weather weekend in February. March is right around the corner and come on Spring with the Southern Grand just a few weeks away. Flowers will start blooming and the butterflies will get to flying and I can hear SI say - fire in the hole.
One shoot over the weekend and it was held at the Buckhorn Gun Club. Looks like Dan "THE MAN" Johnson led all singles shooters, not sure who won the caps and Jeff Galloway won the dubs and Jared Pettet won the HOA. From all indications it was well attended with maybe 25 shooters . Buckhorn will shoot next on the 16th of March so mark your calendar and plan to attend.

Coharie cranks their 2014 season up with their 1st shoot of the year on March 1st. Had plans to attend but looks like I am on call this week sad to say. They have two PAT traps with ERAD voice calls and their lunches are the best. If you are looking for a great time and great targets head on down and tell Mac that Freddy sent you...

Not sure what was going at Watauga but from the pictures it looked like they had a ton of folks for some type of event. It might have been 4H or hunters safety folks just not sure. Hopefully I will get a clarification from the cartel.

Took a trip out to the Rock on Sunday and spent a little time shooting some targets. Started out slow and finished up pretty good. I was testing out some 33 bushing Green Dot 1 1/8's loads and very little recoil I might say. JT Brewer, Doc Gonzalez, David Slaydon, Jim Waynick, Lane Murray and others were shooting and swapping lies. I took some time to clean the K gun and my grandfathers Mossberg. Two fellows came from the new clubhouse and warned me about a skunk that was trying to hide from some crows. Sure enough here he/she came and I had to evacuate the area for a bit until the skunk headed down the hill. I noticed at least 3 dead skunks on the way up to the club.

I dropped by Gander Mountain Sunday and lo and behold I could not believe my eyes. I almost had a "tree house master" moment when I spotted that pallet of Rio 2 3/4 - 1 1/8 - 8's and 7.5's. I grabbed a few and headed to the car and I will need to stock up very soon before they all get gone.

March 16th the Rockingham Gun club will host an intro to trapshooting clinic and an intermediate clinic on the 23rd. Bring 100 shells and show up at 2pm to have some fun and learn the FUNdamentals of a great sport. Clinic is free so just be sure to have eye protection and bring ear protection also.

JC Nunn is getting a little cabin fever and is looking for components to concoct a little Green Dot smoke. He is very close to 100,000 singles targets and we need to get him out and shooting to get that goal behind him. July 13th is his 91'st birthday and like I posted a few months ago he said he feels like he is 50 years old. We will be riding the roads before you know and he is a great co-pilot when he has his hearing aids in.

Ran into Steve Morgan this week at the Sheriff's Department. No he wasn't wearing a jump suit and flip-flops thank goodness. He was down renewing his conceal to carry permit and I got to spend a little time with him before he headed home. Years ago when I was a ref at Pinehurst Steve always encouraged me to get back into shooting and I always remembered that. Now if I could just get back all of the money I spent listening to his advice.

2014 Pre-Spring Grand is in the books and let me let you guess who won the HAA and HOA.............Yes it was Harlan Campbell with a 398 HAA and 1287 HOA. He broke the lone 100 in the Championship Handicap and a 99 in the dubs. Four 100's were broken in the dubs and only five 200's in the singles. All scores are available on the web and it is always interesting to see who broke what. Kevin Polson posted on FB that he was in Tuscon and he had a 389 for the HAA....not too shabby.

Have a great week and it looks like a little cool weather this week but as long as it doesn't snow I am good. Hello to Lou down in sunny Florida and until next Monday morning...........................Smokem
smokem

March 3rd Smoke Report 2014

Post by smokem »

Sleet, snow, freezing rain please say it isn't so. North Carolina is bracing for another bout of wintery weather today and I pray that it is just a dusting. According to the weather forecasters March looks like it will be a colder month than in years past with the Jetstream dipping deep into the South....All I can say is come on Spring and warmer temps.
One registered shoot over the weekend at the Coharie Shooting League Gun Club. Jared Pettet is on a magical mystery tour and discovering all of the gun clubs in North Carolina. 19 shooters participated in the shoot and Jared won the singles, handicap and HOA leaving only the doubles for Greg High. I remember many years ago after a Phil Kiner clinic winning all events at CSL.....those were the days. April 12th is the next event at CSL so please plan to attend now.

No scheduled shoots for this weekend upcoming but Old Hickory shoots the 15th and Buckhorn shoots the 16th. If you are looking for warmer weather shooting the Southern Grand starts the 17th and runs through the 23rd of March. Folks from NC will be attending including the Galloway family and hopefully Bill Howe and Billy Thigpen will be back on the road again.

The 2014 Spring Satellite Grand is over and I want you to take a guess as to who won the HAA and HOA? 100 doubles - 200 singles and a 98 in caps for a 398x400 and also a 1091x1200? Give up yet well don't fret it was none other than Harlan Campbell Jr. and that is back to back 398's for both championship weekends. Ricky Marshall was the RU in the HAA and Sean Hawley was the RU in the HOA....I would imagine that Harlan will be working his way South to the Southern Grand and possibly teaching a few clinics along the way.

As many of you know JC Nunn works one day a week at the local auto auction. Last week he had to drive a car that was so high he needed a small ladder to get in it. I asked him how he got out and he said he held onto the steering wheel and slid out on his rear end. He told his crew not to let anybody short stand in front of him because he couldn't see them. I was able to printout a average card for him this week. Somehow he misplaced his card and did not know what his scores were. I logged in with his ATA number and entered his password but the system required a email address so I set him one up. His first email address at 90 is jbirdhof@yahoo.com and if you ever want to send him anything I will be sure he gets it.

I talked with Dave Daily last week and he is finally getting ready to retire in July. He has been very busy and has been shooting registered birds at the Myrtle Grove Gun Club near Myrtle Beach South Carolina. Nick Wracher lives in MB and works for the school system in the maintenance department. I really would like to ride down and shoot at MG and they shoot next on the 22nd of March. I participated in the first registered shoot ever at MG many years ago. Check it out on the web and I posted some pictures from that first shoot.

Unfortunately that is about it for this weeks smoke report and it won't be long before a lot of trapshooting will be going on in and around North Carolina. Have a great Monday regardless of the nasty weather and Lou I hope you are enjoying 80 degree weather in Florida. Stay safe and until next Monday..................Smokem......

LQQK<<-->>Bill Howe called me Monday with a little update on Billy. Looks like Bill and Billy won't be hitting the dusty trail for the Southern Grand but Bill will make the trip to Odessa. Billy is still doing the rehab and hopes to get back to shooting a little later in the year. We wish him the best and I know he would love to be heading South in the next few weeks.....
smokem

March 10th Smoke Report 2014

Post by smokem »

Good morning and hopefully everyone that is reading this has had power restored to their home. My son lives a mile from me and his power was restored at 5PM Sunday. There are still thousands without power in Guilford County.
One potential shoot over the weekend and Jimmy Wilson had to cancel their 75 Bird Race due to weather concerns. Two shoots this weekend with Rocky Mount on the 15th and Buckhorn on the 16th.

News from Rockingham County is that they got about 8 inches of sleet and snow and missed the ice storm altogether. I left Greensboro at 1:30 PM Friday and the ice covering let up right past Chapel Hill. That was one nasty drive to Morehead City Friday night.

Steve Watson slipped over to Kettlefoot for their shoot. Unfortunately the freaky threeky - Spy Twins and BamBam had arranged a Avon/Pampered Chef event that included a mani/pedi for all participants. Hopefully the cartel will ride again after all the hostess parties wind down.

Kettlefoot is still processing lead for sale and some have had good results and others not so much. The best lead reclaimed shot I have ever bought was the lead from Buckhorn years ago. I have been mixing new/kettlefoot/buckhorn to be sure I have enough graphite to cover the kettlefoot shot.

Next Monday the Southern Grand will start and I hope to be able to keep up with all the happenings. Always interesting to see if attendance is either similar or even more than the year before. NC shooters will be attending and we wish them the best at the Silver Dollar.

Hate to cut it short but it has been a long week and weekend. Rode to the beach Friday for my moms 75th birthday. She rented a condo right on the Beaufort waterfront and it was great. All of the friends she worked with at the Coastal Eye Care Clinic came by and it was great meeting them. Coastal Eye Care clinic got hit by a tornado several months ago and it did extensive damage to the property. We had a great trip back Sunday with clear skies and roads.

Have a great week everybody and hello to Lou and hope to see your name on the leaderboard and until next week Smokem............................
smokem

March 17th Smoke Report 2014

Post by smokem »

Good morning and not sure just how much icing occurred overnight. All I know is that I really want to see this messy weather end for real. Two shoots over the weekend and one shoot coming up this Saturday.
No shoot report from Old Hickory@Rocky Mount and BGC had a 5 man squad shoot the singles only on Sunday. I will get that info posted sometime today. Sunday was a nasty cold windy day and not a real thrill to shoot in.

Ft. Bragg shoots the 30th and Marty will get the program up sometime. I posted the wrong date and Dan Johnson brought it to my attention. Always fun to shoot at Ft. Bragg and really enjoy watching the planes land as long as I am not shooting.

The Rockingham Gun Club hosted an intro to trapshooting clinic Sunday and 5 hardy souls showed up for instruction. Carl Manasco, Donald Cohan, Drew Brinkley, Mike and Kim Adams braved the weather to learn about trapshooting. Scott Shoulars, Lane Murray, Tommy Brown and I did the best we could to interest these folks in the sport we all really like. The intermediate class will be this Sunday the 23rd at 2pm.

The Southern Grand starts today and it is always fun to see folks we know with scores on the leader board. Weather looks a bit wet today and the rest of the week looks pretty good. In fact it looks really good all week except for Monday. Good luck to all and looking forward to NC shooters winning at the Southern Grand.

Several years ago Roger Bynum built me a hand made 4 gun rack. Recently I asked Lewis Wyatt to add a platform on the other side for a 3 gun rack. I picked it up today and it was an amazing job and I really appreciate his efforts. When I travel to South Carolina and NC State shoots sometimes I can't even get my gun on my own rack. I took some pictures and will post them sometime this week.

JC made it to the Rock Saturday and he is testing some loads. He is a Green Dot user and is getting ready for the season. He made it to Church Sunday and I asked if any little old ladies were after him and he said he had to hug a few. I had considered taking JC to shoot at Myrtle Beach Saturday but wouldn't you know it.....I am on call this week.

Ok.....have a great week and I pray that this ice forecast is minimal at best. We did not lose power at either house last weekend and I hope it stays that way. Hello Lou and hope to get out and shoot this week and until next week................Smokem
smokem

March 24th Smoke Report 2014

Post by smokem »

Hello and good morning from Jamestown NC and I hope you had a great weekend. I have mixed feelings about snow in the forecast and I hope they miss it completely.
No local registered shoots over the weekend and the Southern Grand wrapped up yesterday and Ft. Bragg shoots this Saturday and I hope the weather holds up for this event.

Looks like Harlan won both the HAA and HOA at the Southern Grand. He is an amazing shooter and person to boot and is really stacking up the AA points in a big way. Jeff Galloway shot well and missed the AA All Around by 1 target to Florida shooter Matt Trammell with a 388.

South Carolina SubJr shooter Spencer Power shot great and Virginia shooter Clay Floyd shot well also.

The Florida State Shoot cranks up this week and I would imagine some NC shooters will hang around to shoot the program. JC, Jeff and I shot the Florida State shoot and had a great time several years ago. Never got to shoot on the club side and found out that most out of state shooters shot on the golf side.

Sunday the Rockingham Gun Club hosted an intermediate trap clinic. Weather looked bad about noon and by 6 the sun was shining. In fact all shooting was done and nobody got wet - imagine that. Carl Manasco and Drew Brinkley took out intro class last week and decided to take trapshooting one step further. Dwayne Lindner missed our class last week due to work but managed to make it out Sunday. All shot well and I hope that they will be back to the Rock in the very near future.

Carl mentioned that he bought some Rio's from Gander Mountain in Greensboro and that they had two pallets on the floor. I will be back on the hunt for STS and Nitro's in the very near future. Dicks has had a very small selection of shells and I actually found some 3dram Wally Worlds in the Mebane Wal-Mart.

One day the weather will be better and everybody will be talking about how hot it is and I say bring it on. Lou I hope you are doing well and until next week..................Smokem
smokem

March 31st Smoke Report 2014

Post by smokem »

The worst thing about high winds is that it really messes my hair up and I really hate that! Saturday was wet and windy and Sunday was straight up super windy! However warmer temps are on the way and what is the saying? April showers bring May flowers and I say bring it on. This winter has been a long one and even April is predicted to be much cooler this year.
Two shoots over the weekend with Ft. Bragg on Saturday and Buckhorn on Sunday. Ft. Bragg had a slim crowd and shot singles before throwing in the towel. Jim Meucci won the singles with a 95 and Ft. Bragg will shoot next on the 20th of April.

Buckhorn offered a 400 target program featuring two handicap events and as Mike Tyson would say......the wind was bwootal.... Ben Campbell won the 1st handicap, singles and the doubles. South Carolina shooter Todd Wutrick won the 2nd handicap and the HOA. Jeff Allen from Rowan County brought some youth shooters out to register targets and Jimmy said they had a great time. Next BGC shoot will be on the 13th of April so please mark your calendar.

The Florida State shoot is over and Clay Floyd and Bob Goodman from Virginia shot great over the 6 days. I tried to keep up with all of the shooting with some of our friends down in Odessa. Kaye Ohye is still shooting great and PAT Trap mechanic Vince Valois won the singles Saturday with the lone 199. Saturday singles were delayed for a bit due to a torrential rain storm that his the area.

I dropped by JC's house Thursday morning thinking that maybe something was wrong. Evidently he bought a new phone and the ringer isn't loud enough. I spent a few minutes with him and headed on downtown. A little later I called to see how Lewis was doing and he was pulling into the Rock. He mentioned that JC was there and it looks like they got a little practice in. JC has a universal charge bar and decided to slow his Green Dot load down to condense that meatball of lead he throws out there.

I called JC and Lewis to find out who out smoked who and it looks like Lewis came out on the short end of the stick. JC said he was hitting targets so hard they didn't even smoke they just disappeared. I know he is looking forward to better weather and it won't be long until we hit the road to the Georgia State Shoot.

I did forget to mention that Lou Carter broke a 100 straight at the Florida State Shoot and great shooting Lou. Not sure how he shot the rest of the week but it just proves the young fellow has still got it.

The Dogwood at the Home grounds is just around the corner and just a few of you remember attending the Dogwood at Pinehurst. This will be your only opportunity to shoot at the NC Home grounds before the NC State Shoot. We might slip up on Friday to shoot the singles and the handicap. Then JC and I will head to the fish camp and get some salt&pepper battered catfish before the long ride home.

Looks like the Watauga boys are planning to install 1 and maybe two PAT traps in the valley and might install ERAD voice calls. What is the world coming too is my question? I really like shooting in Boone and this could add to the fun factor for sure. Those guys do a great job and do the best they can to keep those traps running like a top. This upgrade might help keep more targets flying and less time in the trap with a wrench in hand. They also will be offering the opportunity to shoot 200 singles in the valley and give you an opportunity to break a 200 in hills of North Carolina......

I may have mentioned this before but here goes. Pictures are floating around the internet of the newly upgraded bathrooms at the Spartanburg Gun Club. They look great and they will be air-conditioned and that is a plus. Ron Burdick is really putting froth an effort to get the club in shape for the SC State Shoot in May from the 14th to the 18th.

Have a great week and hopefully the weather will warm up and the wind calm down. Hello Lou down in Florida and come see us sometime like in June........Until next week..........smokem
smokem

Short Smoke Report For April 7th 2014

Post by smokem »

Nice weekend for a bunch of activities but evidently not nice enough for the Duck Commander 500 Nascar Race in Texas. Great to think that no more cold weather is headed our way and isn't that a great feeling.
Two shoots over the weekend with both Charlie Brown and Rockingham hosting their 1st shoots of 2014. CupCake will get the scores posted for Charlie Browns and thanks for her efforts.

Yes it was windy Saturday and even though the Rock had a thin crowd I got to see some great shooting. Ben Campbell won the singles with a 95, Jeff Galloway won the handicap with an 89, the doubles with a 93 and the HOA with a 276. There were only three 25's broken in the caps and they included Jared, Jeff and JC. I posted video in the shoot report so please go take a look.

Two shoots this weekend with Coharie on the 12th and Buckhorn on the 13th. Both will offer typical 300 target programs and the weather looks like high 70's with partial sunshine and minimal winds. Sounds like perfect conditions for some high scores for sure.

Two shoots before the Dogwood and they include Old Hickory on the 19th and Ft. Bragg on the 20th. With temps warming up a little rain and wind doesn't seem so cold for sure. Then the Dogwood cranks up the 24th and runs through the 27th and your only chance to shoot at the Homegrounds before the NC State Shoot in June.

Have a great week everybody and Lou you know what comes next.......until next week SMOKEM