November 22nd Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

November 22nd Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Another great weather weekend in North Carolina. A little cool and windy but it is late November in North Carolina. Buccaneer shot Saturday and I do not have any scores from that shoot. Going to be slim pickings for shoots this weekend considering it is Thanksgiving.

Lots of folks showed up this month that passed including Lewis Wyatt, Earl Scripture, and sad to say skeet shooter Bill Carter passed last Tuesday and TN shooter Trent Inman’s momma passed last week also. Please remember these families during this holiday season.

Shells and supplies are still being searched for. Recently I heard that Ballistic products had Cheddite available, and you could buy 5000 at a time. Looks like $40 per 1000 and that is not terrible. The Lexington Gun Shop in Lexington is selling shotgun shells of different flavors but only 1 flat at a time. Also, Blue Collar Reloading has recently been able to get STS Light Handicap 1200fps 7.5 and those are the first premium shells that I know of to purchase in months.

Thanksgiving is just a few days away and I believe we have a lot to be thankful for. NC is blessed to have some great gun clubs including Buckhorn, Watauga, Old Hickory, Ft. Bragg, Durham County, Buccaneer and Rockingham. Of course, the NC Homegrounds with 17 trap fields is one of the nicest gun clubs in the Southeast. Not to forget the folks that keep the HG running including Marty Hill and Jimmy Wilson and all the folks that pitch in to keep that big ball rolling. Now I could take time to mention everybody but that would take a while. Oh, I forgot our delegate Bob Schultz and all that he does for trapshooting in the state and beyond. All in all, nothing could be finer than shooting in North Carolina.

Not sure what everyone will be doing on Thanksgiving. Some will be traveling to visit family and friends, and some will stay at home and entertain the family. I always enjoyed having the family over for the big meal and seeing everyone and sending them home with leftovers that would last for days. Of course, I would prepare two plates for later and the one I would take to the gun club on Friday while my wife was out shopping. I mean I could shoot if I wanted to or help folks get the traps setup or just relax and enjoy my leftovers. Whatever you do I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving and try not to eat too much.

OK folks that is about it for this week. Going to be a short few days before Turkey Day. Ft. Bragg use to hold their shoots in November and Marty would deep fry a couple of birds and it was always a great time had by all and sure miss those days. Hello to Scott in PA, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobbie, Thea and Anne and until next week…………smokem
smokem

Re: November 22nd Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Nov 17th, 2014 Smoke Report

November 17th Smoke Report
Post by smokem » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:50 pm

Good morning to all and I hope you had a great weekend. It got a little chilly over the last few days and it looks like mid 40's for Tuesday and Wednesday. 5 shooting events over the weekend with Gastonia and Old Hickory shooting on Saturday and Buckhorn and Rockingham shooting on Sunday. I have two shoot reports and will get to them in a little bit.

Ft. Bragg shoots the BIG50 this Friday starting at 12 noon. Not sure why or how I keep missing this but I made sure to get it on this thread for all to see. Nice way to start the weekend and shoot 150 birds instead of 300..........

Ft. Bragg shoots this Saturday the 22nd and the weather is looking great according to weather.com. This shoot features a typical 300 target program and the best thing is lunch. Marty Hill our current NCTA president is a master deep frying turkeys and it ruins me for thanksgiving dinner. Come hungry and prepared to shoot this Saturday. A program should be up on the site sometime today.

Gastonia shot Saturday and Phillip Putman sent me the scores. Chase Walker won all events and of course the HOA. Gastonia has two traps and uses Canterbury voice calls. You shoot out over a wetland and it borders a rather large lake. Make plans to attend next year and enjoy this shooting facility.

The Rockingham Gun Club held their Lewis Class Non-Registered fun shoot and 17 people attended. Lane Murray took the first Lewis, Lewis, Freddy and Charlie took the mid Lewis and Jim Roland hit the low Lewis all by himself. We had two new shooters and they were a father and son team. Ned and Page Eldridge were guests of members of the Honda Jet shooting club and we hope they will be back in December. The weather was overcast and rather dark with just a bit of wind. Thanks to all that attended to all that helped out.

Buckhorn hosted their annual Toys For Tots shoot and from what I have read on Facebook it was rather well attended. Hopefully I will have all the scores posted today and possibly some pictures that I can steal off of FB. Hopefully I will have some scores from the Old Hickory shoot that was held on Saturday.

Got some info from the newest trap club in North Carolina Low Country Preserve. Pat Childress posted info from their first BIG50 event and Mike Petrone can claim that he was the first registered shooter to break the 1st 25 on the new 1 trap layout. Their first registered shoot will be this Saturday the 22nd in case you are close to the Myrtle Beach area. Dave Daily sent me an email about coming down to shoot the first registered event. I was in attendance at the first Myrtle Grove shoot way back when. That is a loooong way to shoot for a 1-day shoot but you just never know I sure like the Myrtle Beach area.

Former ATA president Terry Roush sent me some email regarding a contest that the ATA store is running. They are wanting clubs to submit pictures to be used in a calendar that will be published and sold to ATA members or anyone that wants one. Year ago they sold a calendar that captured the history of trapshooting and I had one hanging in my office at the Sheriff's office. Some of you know that I take a few pix and I had always wanted to do a calendar of all of the clubs in North Carolina. Not sure if there is any interest in that type of thing but you just never know.

I would like to say thanks to all of the folks that called or emailed me after losing the tailgunner on the 3rd. Still pretty hard to believe he is gone and I have been digging up pictures and videos and hope to have time during thanksgiving to get them posted in his HOF post. I have been keeping in touch with his son Ricky and I would imagine I might be called on to go sifting through all of his memorabilia and that will take some time. They say that after Jack King passed his kids sorted out all of the valuable sterling silver trophies and everything else went into the landfill.......my my

One of my Olympic shooting facebook friends won the HAA at the Autumn Grand in Tuscon Arizona. Janessa Beaman broke a 199 in the singles, 97 in the doubles and the caps score isn't posted yet on shootscorebaord.com. She posted the trophy on FB and it was a great looking rams head trophy. She travels all over the world shooting Olympic style bunker trap.......what a life. Also, my other Gold medal Olympic shooting friend Russell Mark from Australia will be visiting the US next year and we are making plans to meet up at a gun club in the NC mountains. Maybe Buncombe or possibly Boone will be where we are going to setup the meeting. He married a NC girl and her name is Lauryn Mark........Google her name a see what you find.....

That is about it for now and got to run the command post out to a vendor to do a retrofit for some technology. That 30' bus is a dream to drive and if I ever hit the lottery I already have the license to drive my brand new motor home.......dream on. Hello to Hap out West, Scott up North and Lou down South.......Have a great week and until next week............................Smokem.