March 22nd Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

March 22nd Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Wind in Ohio, wind in Florida and wind at Buckhorn. What is going on with all the wind all over the US. Kids at the SCTP Nationals in Marengo experienced it, Southern Grand shooters fought it and it played with targets at Buckhorn Sunday.

Two events in North Carolina this weekend and one in Virginia. Watauga shoots Saturday and Old Hickory Rocky Mount shoots Sunday. Christiansburg VA shoots Sunday also. I would imagine a program will be posted on this site and Facebook.

I was talking about the wind earlier and it was nasty all over the country. Montreat students and soon to be students traveled to Marengo Ohio to shoot Sporting Clays, Skeet, Bunker and American Trap. They included Makayla Scott, Steve Timbinaris and Alton Kelley. They shot one day in rain and 40-degree weather with 40 mph winds. Then let us go to the Southern Grand American in Odessa Florida. Shooters were greeted by a stiff wind coming in from the Northwest. There were only three 100 straights after the first 100 on Championship Singles Saturday. Then Sunday at Buckhorn I heard the targets beside the bamboo jungle were sporty at best. Regardless of conditions you have to learn to shoot in the wind because let’s face it – WIND HAPPENS.

I made a list of the NC shooters that won at the Southern Grand. There might be more, but this is all I found. Event #4 Dave Bicknell Singles – Jim Hughes SBVT 100, Event #8 Preliminary Handicap – Jeff Galloway 7th 93, Event #9 Aaron Willoughby Handicap – Alfred Howe SVETRU 93, Event #12 Caesar Guerini Preliminary Handicap – Hunter Galloway 8th 92. If there are any other winners, I will take a deeper look today. If you are interested got to http://www.shootscoreboard.com

As far as the major winners Alabama student and Georgia resident J.T. Osborne posted the lone 200 to win the singles. Ellis Dalton and Ricky Marshall posted 98’s and the website does not show the winner after the shootoff. Handicap was won by Lawrence Gillum with the lone 97. HOA was won by Ricky Marshall with a 962 and he also won the HAA with a 390. From what I hear everyone had a great time except for the cool and windy weather. Some remarked that the weather reminded them of shooting in January at the Dixie Grand. Shells were in abundance at the shoot for sale with premium shells being offered and most at 10 plus dollars a box.

I viewed a post by Pattie Pigg regarding Donnie Pigg being released from the hospital. He had been diagnosed with COVID and thought he was doing better and then had to be admitted to the hospital. It started at the beginning of March and he had to spend 10 days in the hospital. Please pray that he will get his strength back and ready to shoot very soon.

Dave Daily texted me that Konne-Yaut Indian Greg “Fudd” Shaffer from Indiana passed away. He shot 95,700 singles – 127,475 handicap and 139,000 doubles in his lifetime. He was a larger that life character and he looked like a big burley mountain man with his beard and moustache and cutoff shirts and moccasins. We are all shocked at his passing and he is gone but will never be forgotten. He shot his last registered targets at Brush Creek Conservation Club December 6th, 2020 and broke 92x100 singles. RIP Fudd……

Ok that is going to do it for this week, and I hope everyone has a good one. Not sure exactly what the weather is but it looks good for Watauga Saturday. OHRM might get wet but you never know now do you. Hello to Lou, Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Thea and Anne and until next week……..smokem