March 1st Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

March 1st Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

March is here and you know what that means? Some of our biggest snows are in March and you just never know what the weather will do. No shoots in NC over the weekend but two in VA.

Morgan Shaw informed me Sunday night that Watauga Gun Club member Tom Smith passed away Sunday morning. He had been battling cancer and Covid complications and had been struggling for quite a while. He was a great man, and he will be sorely missed. Please pray for the family currently.

This weekend SC has two shoots in Spartanburg and Aynor. Watauga will host their monthly BIG50 Sunday weather permitting of course. Just around the corner is the Southern Grand starting the 14th and good luck to all the NC shooters attending.

Just in case you do not know Ft. Bragg is cranking their registered shoots back up. Not sure exactly when they held their last registered shoot, but you need to experience shooting at Ft. Bragg. It is a great place to break birds and if the air base is active that day you will get to shoot looking at aircraft landing.

Some of you might know that I have a granddaughter shooting trap now and she will be registering her first registered targets this weekend at the Spartanburg Gun Club. She shot 4H for several years and with the COVID they postponed her season this year at her High School. I am excited that she really likes to shoot, and I believe she will do great this season. Her name is Taylor Martin and I will be taking her to events around the state.

For the first time since Thanksgiving, I got to see shells on the shelf at Academy Sports in Greensboro. They had 12 gauge of course and 20 gauge and I sent out texts to about 12 people with a picture. By the time some folks went by the next day they were all gone. I did get a lead on some lead for $41 a bag and I hope that pans out. I did see on Facebook that a school team got their order from Vista for their season. It looked like two pallets of Federal shells. Hopefully, things will get better for the competitive shooters real soon. With the Southern Grand a few weeks away, it will be interesting as to what they report for shell availability at that big event.

Ok that about does it for this week. Things will start cranking up real soon for sure. Oh, for those of you that break 99’s I might have a little gift for you. GA shooter Dave Hollingsworth had some special pins that he gives folks that break 99’s. It is a pin that features a popular clown as in Bozo the clown and the pin has a 99 on it. He has given me permission to buy similar pins to be given away at shoots I attend.

Hello to Lou, Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Thea and Anne and until next week…………smokem