September 7th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

September 7th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Greetings from Myrtle Beach South Carolina and whatever you do stay away from MB on Labor Day weekend. No shoots over the weekend and Charlotte shoots this Saturday the 12th. Not sure if it is a BIG50 or typical 300 bird event.

Eric Sherer posted a list of all the people that helped with the NC State Shoot. I will not repeat the list but will agree that it takes a bunch of people and a ton of preparation to host a 5-day event. Some folks get there Friday or Saturday before the shooting starts on Wednesday. Some work and try to shoot with some having greater success than others. Again, thanks to all that helped and heck I even scored doubles on Friday and Sunday morning. It brought back some great memories from scoring at Pinehurst and Durham County when the state shoots were hosted there.

Jim Hughes is looking for help on the preliminary days for the Dixie Grand. Not sure how many folks he needs but the number I heard is 30. Hopefully, I will have more info to share in case you are interested. They really need competent refs that can score for singles/handicap and hopefully doubles. I am considering working the prelim days if needed and shooting the championship weekend. It will be a great time regardless!

Bob Schultz has reported that he has tested positive for Covid-19 so please keep him and his wife and business staff in your prayers. Covid-19 can be some nasty stuff and hopefully Bob will do great. Also, keep Hunter Galloway in your prayers. He had surgery on Friday, and I talked to him Saturday night and he sounded great considering.

We rode down to Myrtle Friday and got in the hotel after a great meal at the Carolina Roadhouse. All North bound traffic was reserved for law enforcement and emergency vehicles. SLED, Fish&Game and MB Police were out in force and I have never seen anything quite like it. I learned a very valuable lesson and it is to never come down here on Labor Day.

Saturday morning, I headed up to Aynor SC to see Dave Daily shoot at the Wildlife Action Horry County Chapter. It is out in the woods and I rolled right past it and had to turn around. The club offers two trap fields and one skeet field. They have pistol, rifle, and cowboy action shooting. The clubhouse is a classic big room with a kitchen and plenty of mounted wildlife around the room. The walls are covered with pictures and history from days gone by. Not sure what kind of traps they were using but they had one set of wireless Canterbury’s and one set of wired Canterbury’s. One field was a standard field with pads back to 27 yards and the other field only had the 16-yard pads. The 16yard pad field had big storage containers on both sides of the field and when the gun fired it made an odd squeaky type sound. I got some pictures and videos and should have packed the shotgun. Also, ran into Rodney Raines and he has a beach home on the coast. You just never know who you will run into. They have a registered shoot the first Saturday of every month. I plan to ride down this fall and shoot with this nice bunch of fellows.

That is about it and I hope everybody has a great Monday. At least it is a short week and maybe it will be cooler also. Hello to Lou, Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy and Anne and until next week………….smokem