August 17th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

August 17th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Hello and Monday is here again whether we like it or not. For you working folks like me it is just another day at the office. One shoot coming up this Saturday in Boone at the Watauga Gun Club. I really need to get up there and shoot and it might happen this weekend.

The Grand is in the record books and from what I can tell it was a great success all around. Some history was made when Dagen Voigtman not only won the Grand American Handicap with a 100 from the 27 he broke 200 in the singles and 100 in the doubles. A perfect 400x400 has never been done at the grand.

North Carolina shooters brought some trophies home and they included Noah Gouge, Bill Howe, Jim Hughes, Andy Clayton and Tyler “Cowboy” Cox. Jim Hughes broke his first 100 in doubles and his first 200 in singles at the Grand. Here is the link to access the scores from the Grand - https://shootata.com/AboutUs/GrandAmeri ... sults.aspx

Moving the Grand to Linn Creek Missouri had to be done when the Governor of Illinois would not allow the Grand to be held at the Sparta location. The US Open is also going to held at Linn Creek in conjunction with the Missouri Fall Handicap. Hopefully 2021 will be a better year for shoots to be held in Sparta.

The North Carolina State Shoot will be held in its entirety starting on the 26th of August. Jimmy Wilson sent me pictures of the grading for the 2 new fields on the West end of the line. Trap #1 should be a real honey hole down in the corner tucked away from all the wind that can flow across the line. Also shot reclamation is ongoing down the line and not sure when that process will come to an end.

For those of you that didn’t make it to the Zone the clubhouse will not be open except for classification, squadding, cashiering and food and bathrooms. All the rocking chairs are off the front porch and stored in the clubhouse. So, if you are coming and don’t have a travel trailer or motor home you might want to invest in a 10x10 shelter and put it up to get out of the heat. Also, there are no water coolers on the line so please bring plenty of water and you will need to take it to the line if you need it.

That is about it for this week except for the news that trapshooter Mark Lane passed away last week. He had been in declining health and it was a shock for me to hear for sure. He shot at Coharie, Buckhorn, Ft. Bragg and the Grand American with his son Chris. He will surely be missed, and prayers are with his family at this time.

Have a great week everyone and maybe this cooler weather will stick around for a little bit. Hello to Lou, Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy and Anne and until next week……smokem