November 3rd Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

November 3rd Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Chilly morning here in Jamestown NC this morning. Snow in the mountains over the weekend and maybe just maybe winter is slowly creeping in. Normally the NC ski resorts are hoping to have some slopes open for the Thanksgiving vacationers but time and snowfall will tell. No registered shoots in North Carolina this weekend and Coharie shoots this Saturday.

I missed the shoot reports from Ft. Bragg last week..... Marty is holding BIG50 shoots and held one on the 24th. Brian West won the singles, Ron Costanzo won the flip over Morris Carroll and Brian West won the doubles. They will hold their next BIG50 event on the 21st of November..... The registered shoot on the 25th netted some Junior shooters Brandon Matthews and Dane Westbrook. Virginia SubJr shooter Levi Bolan made the trip and won the SubJr singles. Jerry Kinlaw won the flip over Mac Herring for the singles with 97's, Dane Westbrook won the handicap with a 91 and Mac Herring won the doubles with an 88. Dane Westbrook won the HOA with a 266 x 300. Ft. Bragg's next event is the world renowned "Fried Turkey Shoot" on the 22nd of November.

Mac Herring sent out the flyer for the upcoming shoot at Coharie. His wife will be preparing her delicious chili and I would imagine it will be a tasty treat. Weather is looking around high 50's and no wind in the forecast at the time of this writing. Mac puts on a great shoot and I really need to get down there and shoot sometime. It has been a long time since I shot at the Coharie Shooting League. Registration starts at 8:30 and shooting begins at 9:30.........

Word on the street is that powder is available once again and I am the beneficiary of an 8 pond jug of Green Dot. If you ever dealt with Parks and Sons it looks like shells are available again also. I do not have all the details but hopefully things will get back to normal real soon for all the reloaders out there. Gander Mountain has a ton of Rio's, AA's and Federals at reasonable prices but their shot is 60 bucks a bag........

I talked to Dave Daily in Myrtle Beach and it looks like Myrtle Grove is history for the time being. The fellow that used to manage MG is running another club and plans are being made to enhance their trap program and setup to host ATA registered events. I believe the club is in North Carolina and I believe Terry Roush is somehow involved to approve their facility for registered shooting. Hopefully I will have more info in the very near future. It sure would be great to be able to travel to the beach and shoot some registered birds.

Tom Shelley was out catting around this weekend at the NASCAR HOF in Charlotte NC. He missed all of the snow and posted a beautiful picture from his love nest just to irritate all of the folks back home that were snowed in. It is hard to believe that I was in Boone last weekend in beautiful windy weather and a week later they had four inches of snow. That might be the only great thing about living in the Piedmont and that is knowing your traps aren't shutdown for the winter.......I will be looking for snow pictures from the hills so please send them my way.....

Well folks I have got to tell you that it is only a matter of time before the "Tailgunner" James Cephus Nunn goes on to the big trap club in the sky. As of Saturday he could understand what you were saying but was unable to communicate. I went to Hospice Sunday and sat with him for about 1 1/2 hours and unfortunately he didn't even know I was in the room. I would like to thank all of the folks that visited him while he was at home, at Wesley Long and at the Hospice Home in High Point. His son Ricky has been amazed at all of the friends JC has/had and the outpouring of concern from the trapshooting community. What a great man and shooter and even though he is clinging onto dear life he told me Thursday that he was ready to go. Please remember his family during this time and I will keep you posted.

That is about it for now and I hope everybody has a great week. Hello to Hap out West, Scott up North and Lou down South and until next week..................Smokem