October 27th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

October 27th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Carolina blue skies in the valley at the Watauga Gun Club.........

Good morning to all and another great weather weekend in North Carolina. I had the pleasure of traveling to Boone over the weekend and it was super windy on Sunday. Two trap shoots with Boone and Ft. Bragg shooting Saturday the 25th and Durham County has cancelled their November 1st shoot. The next registered shoot in NC is Coharie on the 8th and that is a new date.

Quick update on JC and it is not good. He was moved to Hospice Saturday and the facility is at 1803 Westchester Drive in High Point NC. Lane Murray visited JC Sunday and JC is aware of everything that is going on and relayed info to Lane about his situation. I am going to ride by today and check on the tailgunner. Certainly remember him in your prayers and his family during this time. I dropped by Thursday to see him at the Wesley Long Hospital. He looked at me and said "looks like you are going to have to find another shooting partner". I looked at him and said that it is going to be real tough finding a shooting partner like you JBird.......

The wife and I rolled up to Boone Friday night and the weather was a little cool. I got up Saturday morning and when I rolled into the valley there was frost on the greenery. The crew was huddled around trap 3 trying to get it warm for the activities to follow. I looked for the whiff of wood smoke coming from the clubhouse only to find a wall mounted gas heater in the clubhouse. Lewis Wyatt went up Friday and had his camper parked near the porch.

The wood stove is gone and hello to clean smoke free natural gas........

It looked like a great crowd and I believe there were 35 shooters for the singles event. Three traps were used and Jimmy Wilson won the event with a lone 99. Steve Watson broke a 98 and David Miller, Tim Crabtree and SubJr Tyler Ward all had 97's. I left before the handicap event was over and I believe Will Price won the event with the lone 96. John Waters was behind the clubhouse cooking about 50 pounds of wings for the dinner and it sure was smelling good. Hopefully Tom Pitts will get the scores up sometime today. Two obvious no-shows were "Hay Ride Tom" Shelley and George "Guns Are In The Safe" Sudderth. Really Tom provides citizens of Blowing Rock with hayrides during their fall festival and George was coming back from a beach trip to visit Chip and his family. That is the last shoot for WGC and they will crank back up in May 2015.......

Jimmy Wilson on field 2 post 2 reaching out and touching a birdie on his was to a 99........

Little did I know until I walked off the field after shooting singles that TN shooter Ray Laughters shot his 100,000th singles target at the Watauga Gun Club. John Waters took a picture of our squad and the slideshow of pictures will be available when Tom Pitts posts the scores. Ray is a real inspiration in the sense of his return to shooting after a wreck he had around 2009. He shot no registered birds in 2009 or 2010 due to getting back on his feet. He has shot 79000 handicap targets and 59,100 doubles since he started shooting in 1991.

Fred Rutherford - Lane Murray - Smokem - Ray - Lewis Wyatt

The leaves sure were beautiful up in the NC mountains this weekend. Folks are getting prepared for the holiday season and most folks quit shooting when the weather gets too cold. I think the best time to be at the gun club is when it is cold and windy. A good cup of coffee and swapping war stories with friends is a good time for sure. This winter I will be setting up another chat room and it will be by invitation only. The last time we had a room somebody in the trapshooting community somehow got it listed in some type of pedophile network. It was flagged by the moderator and shut down and I finally found out why after I quizzed the moderator in Britain. Not sure who it was by I have my suspicions. The chat room gives folks a chance to see how folks are doing and a way to keep up with each other so to speak.

I am out of info and sure hope everybody has a great week. Sure will be a busy two weeks for me and I hope to take off some time during the holidays. Hello to Scott up North, Hap out West and Lou down South and until next week........................Smokem